Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2015 MVP: Bye Delta? Miles now based on fare class.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: missydarlin
Mileage accrual on Delta flights are changing eff 1/1/15.

Increase in miles earned on premium fares. Decrease on discount economy.

First Class

F, P - 200% of miles flown
A - 175% of miles flown
G - 125% of miles flown

Business Class

J,C - 175% of miles flown
D, I - 150% of miles flown
Z - 125% of miles flown

Economy

Y - 125% of miles flown
B, M, S - 100% of miles flown
H, Q, K - 75% of miles flown
L, U, T, X, V - 50% of miles flown
E - 25% of miles flown

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/benefits/elite-levels-and-benefits/program-changes.aspx
Print Wikipost

2015 MVP: Bye Delta? Miles now based on fare class.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ryanthekiwi
I wonder when E class is actually used? I checked and both my upcoming SEA-SAN flight for $79 o/w and my previous YVR-HKG which was priced at $400 all in return were both V class.
They are hard to find because there arent alot of markets. Mainly DL hubs to Florida where they compete with ULCC's. Somewhere around 2 dozen markets or so. Nothing international yet

Full list is at the bottom of this page

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 27, 2014 at 2:41 pm
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Ugh....my ICN flight was going to be a nice haul of miles and now its just going to be painful to fly in Y!! Not much notice of the change.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
They are hard to find because there arent alot of markets. Mainly DL hubs to Florida where they compete with ULCC's. Somewhere around 2 dozen markets or so. Nothing international yet

Full list is at the bottom of this page
Great info. Thanks.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 4:55 am

Programs: Tim Horton's Gold
Crap!!
I have around 40K miles booked in the first Q of 2015.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Calgary88
I have around 40K miles booked in the first Q of 2015.
Last year I booked an AA O class trip before AS specifically excluded O class from earning AS miles. Booked before the exclusion took hold, but traveled after. When I wrote to AS MP asking for credit, on the grounds that I had been operating as I booked on the presumption that O was OK, I got it.

I doubt I'll succeed, but I intend to do the same this time for my February DL V class longhaul booked before this 50% news rolled in, as it is exactly the same situation and I would certainly not have booked this DL trip knowing what is known now.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:38 am
Suspended

I am happy with this change as my F flight on AS 1/3/2015 will earn 75% bonus
However, what seems ridiculous is that where flying DL F earns 100% bonus, flying AA F earns 50% bonus.
Business class earning rates are even more incomprehensible. Flying full fare DL gets 75% bonus, but flying full fare AA only gets 25% bonus??? A factor of 3 times!

Last edited by Dieuwer; Nov 28, 2014 at 10:52 am
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I am happy with this change as my F flight on AS 1/3/2015 will earn 75% bonus
However, what seems ridiculous is that where flying DL F earns 100% bonus, flying AA F earns 50% bonus.
Business class earning rates are even more incomprehensible. Flying full fare DL gets 75% bonus, but flying full fare AA only gets 25% bonus??? A factor of 3 times!
Actually, it makes lots of sense if AS is trying to woo DL flyers to join Mileage Plan. Then those same people may be more likely to book AS rather than DL for domestic flights, especially if the AS flights accrue higher miles (which they do).
Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Actually, it makes lots of sense if AS is trying to woo DL flyers to join Mileage Plan. Then those same people may be more likely to book AS rather than DL for domestic flights, especially if the AS flights accrue higher miles (which they do).
Not really. In fact, all this does is woeing high spend AA flyers to switch to Delta. AA must be pleased
Old Nov 29, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I don't fly as much as most of you here, maybe 30,000 a year. It looks like DL has just given up on everyone but premimum flyers who spend lots of money, and of course the infrequent flyers who fly whoever is cheapest and don't have status. Everyone in the middle (like me) really has no reason to fly DL unless that is the only option. I stopped booking DL flights when they started charging for baggage. It appears to me almost everyone else in the middle except for international flyers is doing the same. I just don't get their strategy?

If your company pays for expensive thickets then this is probably great but is that really what they are trying to do, become a business persons airline? It's actually too bad as I did enjoy an occassional DL flight as their equipment is usually pretty nice.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
It looks like DL has just given up on everyone but premimum flyers who spend lots of money, and of course the infrequent flyers who fly whoever is cheapest and don't have status. Everyone in the middle (like me) really has no reason to fly DL unless that is the only option.
Most flyers do not think like FTer's. Convenience and price will often outweigh mileage earning when choosing a flight. This includes many with status, not just non-status flyers. You can believe what you want, but I just don't believe as many low-fare flyers will swear off flying DL as FTer's believe.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by LBJ
Most flyers do not think like FTer's. Convenience and price will often outweigh mileage earning when choosing a flight. This includes many with status, not just non-status flyers. You can believe what you want, but I just don't believe as many low-fare flyers will swear off flying DL as FTer's believe.
I won't, and I'm cheap -- from a service perspective DL is still the best airline to get me where I need to go in the southeast USA. But you van bet I'll always do the math on the cost/benefit of booking F for those trips.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
I don't fly as much as most of you here, maybe 30,000 a year. It looks like DL has just given up on everyone but premimum flyers who spend lots of money, and of course the infrequent flyers who fly whoever is cheapest and don't have status. Everyone in the middle (like me) really has no reason to fly DL unless that is the only option. I stopped booking DL flights when they started charging for baggage. It appears to me almost everyone else in the middle except for international flyers is doing the same. I just don't get their strategy?

If your company pays for expensive thickets then this is probably great but is that really what they are trying to do, become a business persons airline? It's actually too bad as I did enjoy an occassional DL flight as their equipment is usually pretty nice.

In the "old" days that the way it began, you were rewarded based on fare not miles, cards, if your pink or purple. Just simple revenue based rewards.

Not the current days of entitlement.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I started the frequent flyer game when Delta gave Silver for only a few international segments (5?) on any published fare.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I started the frequent flyer game when Delta gave Silver for only a few international segments (5?) on any published fare.
my Dl number starts with 200
Old Nov 29, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by edgewood49
In the "old" days that the way it began, you were rewarded based on fare not miles, cards, if your pink or purple. Just simple revenue based rewards.

Not the current days of entitlement.
Uh... not sure I would call free bagage and an slight chance of an upgrade "entitlement". As a simple MVP I stay loyal to AS because they provide a good product for a good price (usually) and they have just enough perks to keep me from wandering.

I have to believe there are many more people like me in the DL system but now I think they will wander to greener pastures, or at the very least shop price as they have no reason to remain loyal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.