Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2015 MVP: Bye Delta? Miles now based on fare class.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: missydarlin
Mileage accrual on Delta flights are changing eff 1/1/15.

Increase in miles earned on premium fares. Decrease on discount economy.

First Class

F, P - 200% of miles flown
A - 175% of miles flown
G - 125% of miles flown

Business Class

J,C - 175% of miles flown
D, I - 150% of miles flown
Z - 125% of miles flown

Economy

Y - 125% of miles flown
B, M, S - 100% of miles flown
H, Q, K - 75% of miles flown
L, U, T, X, V - 50% of miles flown
E - 25% of miles flown

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/benefits/elite-levels-and-benefits/program-changes.aspx
Print Wikipost

2015 MVP: Bye Delta? Miles now based on fare class.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by Nurse Traveler
Was just thinking the same thing.

I have to use Concur to schedule business travel. Anyone know how to force a higher fare code?
I'm taking a wild guess here, but I would guess your travel policy does not allow this, since you're effectively ripping off your employer for your personal benefit.

The version of Concur my employer uses doesn't have any way to push higher fare codes. The only thing you can really do is wait closer to departure to book, but again this would probably run afoul of your travel policy.

Originally Posted by B787938
I have a feeling there will be a lot fewer MVPs on DL in 2015...and may be the intended result.
Everything DL has done with their FF program has been with the goal of thinning the herd, both their own and thru their partners. This will benefit those that do make it, in theory, though I'm not sure how it'll play out long term. The changes altered my behavior to the point that I'll make AS MVP even though I'm not in SEA anymore.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:23 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by BearX220
And I really do fault AS for holding this news until four weeks before the end of the year. A lot of us hold DL bookings in 2015 we now regret.
I understand your disappointment, but there was no "holding this news".

Several people, myself included, had to rearrange already overflowing plates of work to get this out on very short notice.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by missydarlin
Originally Posted by BearX220
And I really do fault AS for holding this news until four weeks before the end of the year. A lot of us hold DL bookings in 2015 we now regret.

Several people, myself included, had to rearrange already overflowing plates of work to get this out on very short notice.
Thanks for the update, even if its not all a net gain (due to DL).
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
They will also be reduced
Missy, here is what the AS website still says. I'm reading flown miles as 100 pct. Was this an oversight?

"Flown miles as well as premium cabin bonuses earned on Delta count towards elite status. Our Mileage Plan™ MVP® members earn 50% Elite Bonus and MVP® Gold and Gold 75K level members earn 100% Elite Bonus on miles flown. Elite Bonus Miles do not count toward elite qualification."

Delta is still crediting 1 MQM per mile flown so it would be nice if the same held true for Mileage Plan EQMs.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Personally I'm pretty happy that this is as good as it is. Yes, DL coach will earn fewer miles, but it looks to me like I'll do at least as well as an AS elite as I would as a DL elite at least most of the time. That's as good as could reasonably be hoped for given the decisions DL has made. It also suggests that DL will continue to be around as a partner, which I value, especially given the underwhelming experiences I've had with AA.

And thanks to Missy and crew for getting this out as soon as they could.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by aces219
Delta is still crediting 1 MQM per mile flown so it would be nice if the same held true for Mileage Plan EQMs.
I have a feeling that wont be the case much longer when crediting AS flights to DL. DL has not updated their partner earnings charts yet.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:29 pm

Our marketing folks didn't have a lot of say in the decision. Delta made the decision to go with revenue based earning. We may have had a say in where fare buckets fell, but overall this was handed to us.

With all of our partners, EQMs are equal to the RDM's (not inclusive of Elite Bonuses or promotional miles).

As for being incentivized to credit to SkyMiles...

I can see where if you were flying enough Skyteam to earn DL status in its own right, then maybe you were always better off crediting to SkyMiles?
But the number of flyers that can hold a high enough status to matter in more than one program. So I expect that most people who are flying a mix of airlines will have to figure out overall what works best individually for them.

It is of course the desire of the Mileage Plan team that you choose to continue to accrue miles with Alaska even when you fly Delta ... but I would guess they'd rather see you fly AS or AA domestically.

I'm not sure how Mileage Plus fits into the equation though?
Thanks for your response - and as always - you participation in this forum. It is valued and shows how supportive AS is of i's FT family. I also appreciate your candor about how DL drove this decision.

My point about both MileagePlus and SkyMiles is this: Both of these programs award EQMs 1:1 on miles flown. Albeit both programs now adding in a revenue requirement to attain status.

I guess with Mileage Plan there is no revenue requirement and it is still a very generous and attractive program overall. For this PDX-based flyer I have been doing my best to support my home town airline and will continue to do so.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
As an ATL based flyer, this will make it more difficult for me to maintain MVPG next year (I'll sit at around 25k EQM on AS, 27k EQM on DL, and 8k EQM on AA this year), but it's probably not a big enough swing to have me considering NOT using AS as a consolidator of miles and staying on AS metal whenever possible (mainly to the west coast through SEA). I'll likely move as many flights as possible to AA metal and try to play the waiting game to book higher fare classes on DL metal when possible.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

No worries...most of us here (myself included) totally expected the Delta devaluation for 2015....it wasn't a matter of if but when so it's not like you dropped some big news out of left field that took us by surprise.

With that said, I've avoided DL since the loss of free baggage for AS elites....kinda thought I would need to incorporate some DL/AA (partner) flying in 2014 to get MVP status, but ended up staying on 100% AS metal.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite

Definitely appreciate your efforts. This is a busy time of year at AS and all airlines to begin with.

The net effect of this change, for me, is to cement my decision to stop flying DL. First they pulled all fare class information and inventory from Expert Flyer. And the DL website appears increasingly to be a morass of shifting display options when researching an all-DL itinerary.

I recently tried to book SEA-RDU and finally went with AA, because the fare was comparable, and I could select Main Cabin Extra seats on every leg at no additional charge (unlike DL; sure, there's the slight chance of an upgrade, but I'd rather have the certainty of extra leg room). I did get bit by missing the fact a leg was in O class, but I can't now imagine trying to keep track of multiple fare class differences with DL vs. only one with AA.

I used to fly DL loyally when I couldn't fly AS. No longer. I doubt they'll miss me, but it'll be mutual.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
This looks to me like a giant "Up Yours" to the downgraded DL accrual system as AS enhances their mileage accruing program.

I need more popcorn
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BOB W
This looks to me like a giant "Up Yours" to the downgraded DL accrual system as AS enhances their mileage accruing program.

I need more popcorn
+1...thanks AS, you rock.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
I think this hurts us PDX based AS members a huge amount as our options are so limited. Our only international non-stops are on DL and DL is a big player to connections via ATL, MSP and has the only nonstop to JFK (or any NYC airport) that we can get AS miles on. I am extremely dissapointed as I have been loyal to DL as an MVP/G including being wiling to pay much more to fly PDX/AMS than going on other airlines not through AMS to support our only nonstop to Europe. I guess now my international flights will be via ORD or DFW on AA or if to a major city then via SEA and a partner who does give me the right amount of miles.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I do have to say, some of the other stuff that AS is going to be doing for AS metal flights definitely does help soften the blow. AS seems to be doing the best they can to make up for the ...... hand Delta has given us all.

This makes it an easy decision for me though, no more DL metal, just out of principal, except when work pays for it. Luckily Uncle Sam buys me full Y, so I'll actually come out ahead on that one.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:15 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by aces219
Missy, here is what the AS website still says. I'm reading flown miles as 100 pct. Was this an oversight?

"Flown miles as well as premium cabin bonuses earned on Delta count towards elite status. Our Mileage Plan™ MVP® members earn 50% Elite Bonus and MVP® Gold and Gold 75K level members earn 100% Elite Bonus on miles flown. Elite Bonus Miles do not count toward elite qualification."

Well technically, you do still earn based on miles flown. After January 1, it will be different. But yes, I missed that one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.