Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2015 MVP: Bye Delta? Miles now based on fare class.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: missydarlin
Mileage accrual on Delta flights are changing eff 1/1/15.

Increase in miles earned on premium fares. Decrease on discount economy.

First Class

F, P - 200% of miles flown
A - 175% of miles flown
G - 125% of miles flown

Business Class

J,C - 175% of miles flown
D, I - 150% of miles flown
Z - 125% of miles flown

Economy

Y - 125% of miles flown
B, M, S - 100% of miles flown
H, Q, K - 75% of miles flown
L, U, T, X, V - 50% of miles flown
E - 25% of miles flown

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/benefits/elite-levels-and-benefits/program-changes.aspx
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by HohoGAP
Any word from DL about changes to their partners' mileage awards? I know I earn less when flying some foreign airlines already, but not aware of changes for 2015 to the DL SM mileage awarded if flying Alaska. I guess the turf war is heightened!
I think AS got tired of DL dragging its feet when it comes to the partnership changes. DL has yet to release partner earning info for 2015. I expected a joint releasing or DL trying to beat AS to the announcement.

from RDM perspective, this can be good for long distance low price flyers.

Example 5500 mile transcon run on a $300 DL L fare, not including credit card bonus

AS general member crediting to AS earns 50% which is 2750 RDM
DL general member crediting to DL earns 5 miles per $ which is 1500 RDM

That's fairly close to double the miles earned. Obviously some markets have much higher fares

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 26, 2014 at 1:33 pm
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Delta's site does make it easy to search by a particular fare class, but the 100% earning fares have pretty ridiculous prices. $700 o/w SFO-SEA or $1200 o/w SFO-JFK; no thanks.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Just as I predicted. Looks like DL made the change at AF as well back in April and the rates are even worse there.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Perhaps I missed it; but, I didn't see this link posted (not new information, just shows the same information not in the form of a "blog" post): http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...m-changes.aspx
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by CDKing
I think AS got tired of DL dragging its feet when it comes to the partnership changes. DL has yet to release partner earning info for 2015. I expected a joint releasing or DL trying to beat AS to the announcement.

from RDM perspective, this can be good for long distance low price flyers.

Example 5500 mile transcon run on a $300 DL L fare, not including credit card bonus

AS general member crediting to AS earns 50% which is 2750 RDM
DL general member crediting to DL earns 5 miles per $ which is 1500 RDM

That's fairly close to double the miles earned. Obviously some markets have much higher fares
yeah this is a good example i will have to think about for the future as i muddle between DL and AS next year. even with the PM multiplier it is kind of a wash.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by missamo80
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I win with this new plan. All of my Delta flights are international in paid business. Unless I somehow accidentally book a Z class (which I don't think I've ever been able to find!) I actually get more miles for every one of my Delta flights than I used to.

Neil
+1

Edit to add: there is a discrepancy in Z bonus between this page http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...ers/delta.aspx and this page http://blog.alaskaair.com/2014/11/26...=Announcements

Last edited by Dieuwer; Nov 26, 2014 at 2:59 pm
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:00 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by B787938
I'm sure your marketing folks have done the math...but assuming one is more interested in earning EQMs versus RDMs doesn't this incent one to fly DL and credit miles to SkyMiles? Or MileagePlus for that matter? In these programs EQMs are still awarded in miles flown.
Our marketing folks didn't have a lot of say in the decision. Delta made the decision to go with revenue based earning. We may have had a say in where fare buckets fell, but overall this was handed to us.

With all of our partners, EQMs are equal to the RDM's (not inclusive of Elite Bonuses or promotional miles).

As for being incentivized to credit to SkyMiles...

I can see where if you were flying enough Skyteam to earn DL status in its own right, then maybe you were always better off crediting to SkyMiles?
But the number of flyers that can hold a high enough status to matter in more than one program. So I expect that most people who are flying a mix of airlines will have to figure out overall what works best individually for them.

It is of course the desire of the Mileage Plan team that you choose to continue to accrue miles with Alaska even when you fly Delta ... but I would guess they'd rather see you fly AS or AA domestically.

I'm not sure how Mileage Plus fits into the equation though?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
+1

Edit to add: there is a discrepancy in Z bonus between this page http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...ers/delta.aspx and this page http://blog.alaskaair.com/2014/11/26...=Announcements

I'm looking into this.

UPDATE:

Z class earning remains the same as it is currently - 125%

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...m-changes.aspx

They'll be correcting the blog post shortly

Last edited by missydarlin; Nov 26, 2014 at 3:24 pm
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
yeah this is a good example i will have to think about for the future as i muddle between DL and AS next year. even with the PM multiplier it is kind of a wash.
You know I wasn't even thinking. For some odd reason i was thinking of a Elite bonus on top of the Platinum 9 points per dollar. So in theory a general member can earn around the same as a Plat. Bring that transcon down to $200 you can earn around the same as a diamond.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:22 pm

Welcome to Canada! (Land of 25% earning on Air Canada domestically and 50% internationally)
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Kudos to AS for not going down the revenue road for us "regular" elites who buy the cheapest tickets....you've my support (and $$$)....how people stick with UA and DL while their programs self-destruct is astounding....Thanks AS for keeping the grass greener on the other side
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by PetePDX
Might be time for me to seriously figure out how to replace my use of Delta with American...
+1... it's something i've been avoiding but if AA doesn't change their program I just may have to jump ship to them... still too soon to tell
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by missydarlin
It is of course the desire of the Mileage Plan team that you choose to continue to accrue miles with Alaska even when you fly Delta ... but I would guess they'd rather see you fly AS or AA domestically.
And I'm sure that's how many will respond. But this makes it even more urgent that AS simplify AA earning. Picking through AA flight combos to eliminate US-operated flights (conx via PHX, PHL, etc.) and O class fares is a real time suck.

Now both DL and AA are "gotcha" minefields for us AS earners... each for different reasons.

And I really do fault AS for holding this news until four weeks before the end of the year. A lot of us hold DL bookings in 2015 we now regret.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by BearX220
Originally Posted by missydarlin
And I'm sure that's how many will respond. But this makes it even more urgent that AS simplify AA earning. Picking through AA flight combos to eliminate US-operated flights (conx via PHX, PHL, etc.) and O class fares is a real time suck.

Now both DL and AA are "gotcha" minefields for us AS earners... each for different reasons.

And I really do fault AS for holding this news until four weeks before the end of the year. A lot of us hold DL bookings in 2015 we now regret.
Well I'd imagine that AS released the info as soon as they were permitted, or it was negotiated. Its not like DL issued it first- nor is DL very speedy in 2015 partner earning chart updates.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL UA AS

As a SEA based Dividend Miles member, I'll be happy when Dividend Miles is merged with AAdvantage in a few months. We fly AS several times a year and it will be easier when my US Gold status has benefits on AS. Boardroom access has improved recently but it will be nice when our status gives us better seat selection and baggage waivers on AS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.