Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by agp423
Does anyone have the official numbers of how long in advance EK releases award space to AS?
Nothing official EK awards on AS have been around for 15 months. It also seems availability is not the same as other carriers who have had it a little longer so at this point it really anyone's guess. Availability has gone down sharply since it was first bookable in late January 2013.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:02 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
If I use 75K miles to book USA-DXB-PVG in business, when the time comes (when there are F availability on both segments), can I upgrade for 25K more miles, or would I have to cancel the 75K, and then rebook using 100K miles?

Also, does anyone know the difference between the chauffeur service for business versus F?

Last edited by TOMFORD; Apr 15, 2014 at 10:03 am
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
A decrease in F space may be coming from NYC to DXB as alot of space was on the flights connecting in Milan

Italian Court Blocks Emirates’ NYC-Milan Route
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:24 am
Accor Contributor Badge

If I want to fly DTW-PVG using AS miles, can I book DTW-ORD-HKG-PVG on AA/CX/CX for 70K miles? Is that how the one way award works? And can I use BA award search tool to find availability?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:46 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
If I want to fly DTW-PVG using AS miles, can I book DTW-ORD-HKG-PVG on AA/CX/CX for 70K miles? Is that how the one way award works? And can I use BA award search tool to find availability?
You are not allowed to mix partners on AS awards, except you can fly AS to the international gateway. This means once AS starts service to DTW in September, you could fly AS DTW-SEA-YVR/SFO/LAX and pick up CX from there. Until then, if you wanted to fly CX, you'd have to pay or book another award to get from DTW to an AS or CX served city.

Yes, using the BA award search is a good way to find availability on CX.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:04 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Ooh, right, forgot about that rule. Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2014, 5:14 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Has anyone been able to book EK F 11 months out? Or is it strictly 2 weeks before departure now?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Has anyone been able to book EK F 11 months out? Or is it strictly 2 weeks before departure now?
From the bookings I have made, ~2-3 months before departure has been the sweet spot for finding Z (FC) award space.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:27 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

I guess I won't be flying EK F. CX F won't be so bad!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:19 am

Programs: QF Platinum
Booked with AS last Jan. on CX, 2 pax in J CNS/HKG return for May 2014
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
(award ticket) Depending on whether I terminate in DXB or not, dif routes show up.

Hi there!

Just like many of you, I'm sure, I'd love to burn my miles on an EK flight to experience that product in first class. I'm having a weird issue, and I'm curious if this is something that has to do w/ routing rules or if it's just an issue with the Alaska site that a phone call would fix.

Here's an example...

If on a specific date w/ availability, I search SEA-DXB, my search results include SEA-LAX-DXB, i.e. A380, availability. I'd like to continue on from DXB to SEZ, though. So then if I change my search to SEA-SEZ for the same date, it doesn't show me that LAX-DXB flight anymore. Instead, it just shows me SEA-DXB-SEZ. I thought it was maybe a rule about too many connections so I tried searching for LAX-SEZ, and when I do THAT, it wants me to go LAX-SEA-DXB-SEZ, even though my original search for SEA to DXB showed the availability on the LAX-DXB leg.

If this is all just an issue with the website, then I'm good w/ that :-). I'm just curious if there are rules I'm not paying attention to in terms of why routes aren't showing up. I'm happy to call and get it booked over the phone. Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

The joys of Married Segments.

Thanks EK.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

The joys of Married Segments.

Thanks EK.
Hey there,

Sorry for not really knowing what that means... But if two segments are "married" together, if I can get LAX-DXB to show up on its own, and I know that DXB-SEZ is available, why wouldn't I be able to book LAX-DXB-SEZ... and on that note, since stopovers are permitted on a one-way award, I believe that I SHOULD be able to book LAX-DXB, stay in DXB for a few days, and then continue onto SEZ, right?

THANKS!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:41 pm

Managed to snag two seats in F on JFK-DXB-SIN on the A380 earlier this week for travel in August.

FWIW, EF showed Z2.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by thexfactor
Managed to snag two seats in F on JFK-DXB-SIN on the A380 earlier this week for travel in August.

FWIW, EF showed Z2.
Maybe AS is starting to match EF for EK availability a bit more? One can dream.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.