Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:38 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by jonfriedman
Visa Signature is available on virtually every airline affiliated card and all offer similar deals/"steals" like paying only $75 for a dinner that Canlis which could easily cost twice as much. Hmmm. Not good enough. Glad I closed the accounts-all of em. Hope Alaska reverses its decision and actually makes its card something special. Right now, it's worthless.

Deals like $75/head for a dinner at Canlis or a free ticket to Tron don't justify my continuing to pay a full fare first class fare on top of a companion fare(which I can no longer do) nor the $5,000 + B of A was realizing from the 2-3% skim off my cards. A dumb corporate decision that will cost everyone something.
How good is a meal at Canlis to someone who lives nearly 1500 miles away?

Agreed that the corporate decision is ridiculous and petty but I doubt corporate even cares what we think
Old Aug 18, 2012, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by ANC
does this lame companion fare still work with instant upgradable fares when available for golds and a companion still work or did they axe that too? Not that there are 2 seats with instant upgrade open right after a purchase to Hawaii or EWR
I was surprised when I was able to use a companion cert with an upgradable fare DCA-HNL for October. Upgraded on all legs. Tickets were $460 + companion charges. There were however no instant upgrades available on the return legs even when F was wide open. It was an old companion cert.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:06 pm

Can a one way in F be changed to a return?

I have a companion certificate which expires Sept 19 2012. I really don't have any specific plans for it, but I don't want to lose it or the chance to use it for an F redemption. If I book a one way itinerary with the cert in F now to a low cost destination ( to minimize my cash outlay until plans are certain), can I later change it to a return once I know my plans?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:11 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by mplflyer
I have a companion certificate which expires Sept 19 2012. I really don't have any specific plans for it, but I don't want to lose it or the chance to use it for an F redemption. If I book a one way itinerary with the cert in F now to a low cost destination ( to minimize my cash outlay until plans are certain), can I later change it to a return once I know my plans?
Yes, if you book a flexible ticket, you can change it later. This includes full Y fares and F fares. However, to keep the companion fare discount, you must always CHANGE the ticket, do not CANCEL the ticket. Any time you make a change, the companion will still cost $99, and you will only pay the fare difference between the old and new flights.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:52 pm

Yup, to extend the companion ticket just buy the cheapest flex fare you can find (and keep extending it out until you find the flights you want). Pretty sure the only catch is you can't change the companion.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Flight 84 from ANC-SEA did the usual spiel for the BA card today and made it clear that the companion ticket was for coach only. Noticed that there were no takers either
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:15 am

Thank you Baliktad and Hiker T for your responses. I think I will go ahead and book a BLI-LAS one way in F and change it to what I want later.
Cheers.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:26 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by mplflyer
Thank you Baliktad and Hiker T for your responses. I think I will go ahead and book a BLI-LAS one way in F and change it to what I want later.
Cheers.
If you're just buying a ticket to preserve your companion fare with no intention to actually fly the route, may I suggest buying a Y fare for a short, frequent route as far in the future as possible? For example, SEA-PDX one-way next July. As long as you book a Y fare, it will still be fully refundable or flexible to any other ticket. This has a couple of advantages:

- it will be cheaper for you initially to buy SEA-PDX than BLI-LAS
- buying 2 F seats is 12% of the cabin - this can mess with revenue management and U space for other elites
- the risk/loss to you in case you totally space out/forget about the ticket is much less

Just make sure you select from the "Full Flex" column when purchasing your ticket. You'll still be able to change the ticket later to any other type of fare (discounted, full fare, or first class) later by paying the fare difference for 1 passenger.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by baliktad
If you're just buying a ticket to preserve your companion fare with no intention to actually fly the route, may I suggest buying a Y fare for a short, frequent route as far in the future as possible? For example, SEA-PDX one-way next July. As long as you book a Y fare, it will still be fully refundable or flexible to any other ticket. This has a couple of advantages:

- it will be cheaper for you initially to buy SEA-PDX than BLI-LAS
- buying 2 F seats is 12% of the cabin - this can mess with revenue management and U space for other elites
- the risk/loss to you in case you totally space out/forget about the ticket is much less

Just make sure you select from the "Full Flex" column when purchasing your ticket. You'll still be able to change the ticket later to any other type of fare (discounted, full fare, or first class) later by paying the fare difference for 1 passenger.
Thank you. Those are some good points. I will go Ahead and do that^
Old Aug 24, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
the letter says first class is OK...

My AS Visa expires next month so I wasn't surprised when a replacement card came in the mail today. I was surprised, however, to see the claim in the accompanying literature that the companion ticket discount code is good on any paid published fare including coach or first class.

Yup, it says the companion cert can be used for first class.

Somebody forgot to update the form letter. I thought about calling to let AS and/or B of A know but I frankly don't want to take the time. Both Caroline Boren from AS and Jake Frego from B of A signed the cover letter so who knows which company is responsible for the wording.

I guess I'm just venting here while trying to decide whether I want to keep the card...
Old Aug 24, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st

It would be interesting to see what would happen if you tried to capitalize on the mistake, I.e., try to buy an F ticket. Possession is 0.9 of the law and when the web site shuts you down from buying an F ticket, I think you could make an argument that you have the offer in writing (regardless of it being past the cutoff date) and by jingo, it needs to be honored.

There have been several instances where airlines honor tickets bought aT ridiculously low prices due to error. This should be no different. Just my opinion.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 7:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by dave1013
It would be interesting to see what would happen if you tried to capitalize on the mistake, I.e., try to buy an F ticket. Possession is 0.9 of the law and when the web site shuts you down from buying an F ticket, I think you could make an argument that you have the offer in writing (regardless of it being past the cutoff date) and by jingo, it needs to be honored.

There have been several instances where airlines honor tickets bought aT ridiculously low prices due to error. This should be no different. Just my opinion.
Now aren't you devious. A lawyer, perhaps? I hadn't thought about trying to get them to honor it. They sent out the letters a few weeks back telling us about the change so I imagine their lawyers figure they've covered their behinds.

I wonder whether anyone at AS or B of A will be concerned when they realize their letter is wrong.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Devious yes, lawyer no.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dave1013

You cannot. I just received a code in the past few days (yes, escrewed by a couple weeks by 2 F codes) and the F column is el blanko when trying to make a reservation.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You cannot. I just received a code in the past few days (yes, escrewed by a couple weeks by 2 F codes) and the F column is el blanko when trying to make a reservation.
That's what I expected would happen. Did you get the same letter as Westcoaster?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.