Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Now Pay for exit rows - "Fly Customised"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Now Pay for exit rows - "Fly Customised"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2012, 3:32 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Curiously, I have tried to access the seatmaps in economy for two flights my other half is going on in December, and they are both unavailable, yet available in Business Premier.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 4:13 am
formerly kiwi_norway

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
Originally Posted by libertyuk
Curiously, I have tried to access the seatmaps in economy for two flights my other half is going on in December, and they are both unavailable, yet available in Business Premier.
Two new threads have popped up in the last half hour with people having issues either seeing pre-booked seats or struggling to see seat maps in ExpertFlyer (actually the same issue as you - visible in BP, but not in Y or PE).

Could all be related to implementation of Seat Select (going into affect around ... 13 minutes ago, right?)
Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:19 am

Programs: DL Silver, NZ, VS, HH, IHG Gold, Marriott, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by PacificTwo
kiwi_norway - Interesting comparison again. I would agree then that NZ's pricing discrepancy is a little confusing!
Market segmentation. They are priced to compete with the local market.

The UK prices are too high. Not happy about this at all. At least my current flight already has seats.

BA have been charging for "preferred" seating for years. Charging for a seat reservation, is one the reasons I switched from BA to NZ.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...t/public/en_gb
Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:42 am
formerly kiwi_norway

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
Originally Posted by AndrewAndDebbie
Market segmentation. They are priced to compete with the local market.
I'm sure you're right. We see it in a lot of areas and on multiple airlines. But do BA charge a 500% premium in some markets compared to others for seat selection?

I'm fully willing to accept that price discrepancy based on market segmentation works for the airline and is the nature of the business. But when you get to a certain price split, charging wildly different fees for exactly the same service on exactly the same sector, is it not appropriate simply to refer to that as "completely taking the p!ss"?!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:49 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
I can understand there being some differentiation.

For example, Japanese, Chinese and Hong Kong based travellers will be far more price sensitive, so lowering the pricing on this makes sense. However, outside NZ based travellers, most people booking see Air NZ as an option, not THE option. Although NZ has monopolies between NZ and North America, it doesn't from Australia, and certainly doesn't to/from Europe (or across the Tasman obviously).
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, NZ*G
Originally Posted by AndrewAndDebbie

BA have been charging for "preferred" seating for years. Charging for a seat reservation, is one the reasons I switched from BA to NZ.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...t/public/en_gb
BA doesn't charge for advance seat selection from booking for full fare classes and for any fare if you have Silver status (and Bronze from 7 days out), for all seats except exit rows. Golds can select any seat including exit row seats any time from booking without charge. Certain corporate deals also allow any seat selection in advance for free. Sorry you switched.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
To select any seat on a prop plane you will need to pay even if you are GE!

I have a couple of upcoming domestic flights on ATRs. I'm NZ Gold. Checking my seats online, I have to pay to select any seat on the plane. Either $5 for standard or $10 for preferred. Seems odd as I am gold...

Well you really need to read carefully to understand why...

FROM THE FAQ
"Has the allocation of seats assigned to Gold Elite, Gold and Koru Club members changed?
Answer:
...There have been some location adjustments but Gold Elite, Gold and Koru Club members still have seats reserved exclusively for them in premium locations..."

"FROM THE SEAT SELECT PAGE
...As a Gold Elite, Gold or Koru member, you will enjoy access to complimentary premium seating. Premium seating includes the Space+ zone on our domestic jet services and international A320 services and is independent from the Preferred and Exit Row seating options..."

There are no 'premium seating locations' in the domestic prop fleet!

Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Just had a look at my seat selections for flights next week. For one flight it still has me in the seat I selected, but on the seat map itself I have no seat selected.

More amusing is that for the return flight I now can't select a seat as seat selection is not available on the flight as it is not being operated by Air NZ. But on the right hand side of the page it shows the WLG-AKL flight as being operated by Air NZ.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite
Not being able to pick a seat on an ATR really annoys me.

Changing the baggage rates effects my business. We will now be reducing our Air Travel, and driving a lot more.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by johnnyfive
I have a couple of upcoming domestic flights on ATRs. I'm NZ Gold. Checking my seats online, I have to pay to select any seat on the plane. Either $5 for standard or $10 for preferred. Seems odd as I am gold...

Well you really need to read carefully to understand why...

FROM THE FAQ
"Has the allocation of seats assigned to Gold Elite, Gold and Koru Club members changed?
Answer:
...There have been some location adjustments but Gold Elite, Gold and Koru Club members still have seats reserved exclusively for them in premium locations..."

"FROM THE SEAT SELECT PAGE
...As a Gold Elite, Gold or Koru member, you will enjoy access to complimentary premium seating. Premium seating includes the Space+ zone on our domestic jet services and international A320 services and is independent from the Preferred and Exit Row seating options..."

There are no 'premium seating locations' in the domestic prop fleet!

Crafty.....I had selected Rows 16 and/or 17 on my ATR flights but these have been removed.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, NZ*G
This looks like an implementation balls-up. My already-selected seats aren't showing as selected by me in the seat map but they are showing as selected on myairnz. But no space+ for me any more? Are GE's all banned from Space+ from now on? Who will they seat there then?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by johnnyfive
There are no 'premium seating locations' in the domestic prop fleet!/
Interestingly, they charge you $10 more to sit in 2F (and presumably 2A and 1F) on a 1900D - it doesn't even have a window!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by craver
This looks like an implementation balls-up. My already-selected seats aren't showing as selected by me in the seat map but they are showing as selected on myairnz. But no space+ for me any more? Are GE's all banned from Space+ from now on? Who will they seat there then?
I have several flights like this. It does clearly state my selected seat, though, despite not showing any "selected" seat for me on the map. I can only assume that all of space+ is full (which is why it is not showing any available space+ seats.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
I'm a Gold Elite and I am unable to select Space+ on any of my upcoming domestic flights, I have to book some other flights shortly and i'll see what happens when I book a fresh booking.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:11 pm

Booked a flight from LAX-SYD last night.... so that's the last time I get to pick an exit row at time of booking... for free.

So much for no entitlements being taken away!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.