Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Now Pay for exit rows - "Fly Customised"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Now Pay for exit rows - "Fly Customised"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Wow, this is bullsh*t.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: NZ EP
Originally Posted by brenrox
Another case of NZ not spelling things out clear enough perhaps.....We will find out in a few days or so I guess
I agree with you there!

I'm not comfortable with the ambiguous wording, so yes, worth looking out for developments.

The way I see it, is for that for those without status (or KC), then this brings NZ into line with most carriers overseas (and Crapstar domestically). It would appear though that you have to pay $5 for your choice of seat, even if it's out of the space+ area....that's a shocker. Not even Crapstar stoops to this level.

$75 for an exit row seat long haul, that's an absolute pis*s take!

Boo...hiss AIRNZ

Last edited by Gasfoodlodging; Nov 19, 2012 at 4:50 pm Reason: Long Haul
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: NZ*G
That's a terrible answer they give also. What's so wrong with a 'first-in first serve' policy?

Not mentioned in the OP, but NZ are now charging parents to use bassinet rows. I don't have children, but can appreciate how incredibly poor it is to charge for this and it certainly does not seem a very Kiwi thing to do. Do Ryan Air even have such a charge??
This is pretty bad. I think bassinet seats should only be available to be booked by a parent travelling with infants, and this should be at no charge. I'm GE, with no infants now, but i've been up and down to Europe a few times, and not helping families out with kids (actually NZ are normally terrific at this) is a massive mistake. They have the chance to formalize this in policy, it would get a lot of good will.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Gasfoodlodging
$75 for an exit row seat long haul, that's an absolute pis*s take!

Boo...hiss AIRNZ
The worst part is, even if as a Gold I wanted to purchase that $75 exit row, I'm probably not going to be able to, given that everyone on the plane now has access to those seats (as opposed with competing against just the G/GE/Koru flyers in the economy cabin).
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Do Ryan Air even have such a charge??
I guess not as 737 do not have bassinets, but then again why should that stop Ryan Air.

For me to NZ but this is all ancillary revenue and shows how monopoly players can work. I bet if they did not introduce this charge they would state that fares would need to increase.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:11 pm

Programs: NZ *G
The choice and associated fees are just bewildering. Their products and services have become far too complicated, IMO.

No doubt this will all eventually be swept away at some point by a new broom.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:14 pm

This is the reply I got on Facebook: "as a Gold member, your complimentary premium seating allocation remains the same."
Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: NZ G, QF Bronze
After Talking to Koru Call Centre...

I just got off the phone to Koru.

With a grain of salt:

1. The number of HVC seat allocations will remain the same i.e. if there are currently 7 rows of space+ on a TT A320, and they put 2 rows up for sale, then there will be a total of 9 rows of space+.
2. Everyone will have to pay for exits rows, regardless of status, unless nabbed in final 48 hours
3. Payment applies to *Gs from other airline programs
4. Existing bookings with seats already selected in exit rows (before 22 November) will get to keep those allocations without payment. Will be lost if you change booking after 22 November.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite
Air NZ just tinkers with policy all the time. Every week there is a new change to keep track of! How many staff are sitting around changing things!?!?

Look at all the worlds best companies. Simple policy, simple advertising, easy to understand for customers.

I am a frequent flyer... but it's starting to be overwhelming. Keeping track of rule changes. Un-necessary and poor management.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: NZ G, QF Bronze
Thinking about it some more, it's a bit sh!t that people buying seats also get priority boarding.

This goes even beyond Airpoints changes to devalue the benefits of being an HVC.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:46 pm

Amazing, very degrading and utterly disgusting. I had nothing but praise for NZ, but after this... GFYS!

Charging extra for bassinets?? So why do infants pay 10% of the fare, when they are not taking a seat and certainly not eating (not in large quantities) the "baby food" provided?

Again, GFYS!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
From the FAQ with added truth in brackets.

Why have you introduced paid Seat Select?
Answer:

Paid Seat Select is all about providing you with extra seating choice(but really just us with extra revenue). No existing seating entitlements are being taken away(except those we decided to forget you had).
Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:47 pm

Moan Moan moan, all you do is moan.
This is all for the good of the service NZ can offer flyers. They keep fares down by keeping the "extras" paid for, jez the way some of you go one you want everything for nothing - well toughen up. The so called HVC's (pretentious title anyway) need to get real, what do you expect for using the same airline time after time, you want freebies, you want choice of seats, well get real, this is the 21st century and consumer loyalty is expected and should not be rewarded, its time you lot hardened up and thanked Mr parton for his courageous moves to maximise NZ profit while reducing the giveaways. Now when I snap my fingers you will wake up, yes its been a dream, bad one but still a dream. If you listen closely you will hear the Little Mermaid as she flicks her tail and head s back down the list of good airlines to beat jetstar, must beat Jetstar to the bottom, oops NZ you are already there - what do you reckon smoocha and co, good moves for loyal customers or another nail and "get stuffed we don't care" for the loyal, constant, not price conscious flyers.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by robbau
Thinking about it some more, it's a bit sh!t that people buying seats also get priority boarding.

This goes even beyond Airpoints changes to devalue the benefits of being an HVC.
I can see what'll be next: Paid priority boarding - You choose! Don't like to wait in line? Want to board when you feel like it? Try our new priority boarding service for $10pp. Enjoy skipping the queue on your way to the aircraft!

But seriously, charging extra for the bassinet row is pretty bloody low. What piece of pond scum thought that one up?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:53 pm

Ryan air patented charging for everything and anything, but you don't expect too much from them. Certainly they charge for "priority boarding", for flights taking off on time, for printing boarding passes and checking in (actually true) and they have talked about a "gold coin donation" for toilet use on board.

Go on NZ, there is still room to get to the bottom, although you don't seem to need any help to get there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.