Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Blue FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Schwann
A question regarding miles posting...

JFK-CDG was operated by Air France as AF007 but booked on a DL flight number/codeshare. The CDG-BHX leg was operated by Air France and booked on an AF flight number. Long story as to why that is.. just how the OTA did it when I had an INVOL rebooking.

The CDG-BHX miles have posted already (this flight was actually the day after the JFK-CDG arrived) but the JFK-CDG flight has not.

Is this usual when booked as a DL codeshare or should I be prepared to nag for them?!
You don't say when the flight was taken. Flights operated by partners can take quite a bit longer than flights operated by AF or KL to post. If it hasn't posted after 2 weeks you should write to them and claim the missing credit, but not if it has only been a few days.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
It was earlier this week. The flight unposted in question was an Air France operated flight booked with a DL code, on KLM 074 stock.

I'll try sorting it with the missing miles tool tomorrow.. it should work after 5 days. Part of the ticket was cancelled due to weather, so that might be hindering it.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Sound silly, but need help!

I am not sure why....

I wanted to book NBO-SEZ (KQ) on Business Class which costs me 17500/43750 miles (Y/C).

Then return, separately, I booked SEZ-NBO-JNB (KQ) which costs me 15000/37500 miles.(Y/C)

Why JNB-NBO-SEZ is cheaper than NBO-SEZ?

Can someone explain to me why this happens?

Thank you!
Old Jun 15, 2014, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MY Flying Blue
I am not sure why....

I wanted to book NBO-SEZ (KQ) on Business Class which costs me 17500/43750 miles (Y/C).

Then return, separately, I booked SEZ-NBO-JNB (KQ) which costs me 15000/37500 miles.(Y/C)

Why JNB-NBO-SEZ is cheaper than NBO-SEZ?

Can someone explain to me why this happens?

Thank you!
FB uses multiple bands for each award. Clearly the lowest band is avaiklable on your return but not on your outbound.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by orbitmic
FB uses multiple bands for each award. Clearly the lowest band is avaiklable on your return but not on your outbound.
It seems not. This is the lowest mile - I assume SEZ is not in Africa by IATA and cross region?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I think you have misunderstood.

Just like tickets have various cash prices, so too do redemption tickets have various mileage prices.

It looks like, in one direction, there is still availability at the cheaper rate, while in the other direction, the cheaper mileage tickets are already sold out.

When no mileage seats have yet been taken, you should be able to get each direction at the same, lowest, price. But as availability fills up, the lowest price is no longer available on each flight and on each date.

(Stated another way - if you look for other dates, you should find that 15000 tickets are available in either direction. But on one of the dates you have chosen, these cheaper tickets are already gone).
Old Jun 16, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I think you have misunderstood.

Just like tickets have various cash prices, so too do redemption tickets have various mileage prices.

It looks like, in one direction, there is still availability at the cheaper rate, while in the other direction, the cheaper mileage tickets are already sold out.
It is true that there is/was a "classic elite" award for a slight mileage premium with expanded availability for FB elites. That's not what's happening here, though.

FB has two zones in Africa. Nairobi is Africa 1 and Johannesburg is Africa 2. For whatever reason, Africa 2 to the Indian Ocean zone is cheaper than Africa 1 to the Indian Ocean zone. It doesn't make sense for those city pairs, but it might for other pairs among the three zones. M&M, for instance, has dealt with this by charging a "three-region award" at a significantly higher price for trips that connect through a third zone, which ensures that this sort of price discrepancy won't happen.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: AF P, BA G, A3 *G, EK G
With the 50% elite bonus that comes with being flying blue silver does that mean you earn 50% on all skyteam flights or just AF/KL flights? I have read all around and for some reason the wording is confusing to me. It just says 50% bonus miles but doesn't specify solely AF/KL.

Thank you!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
Originally Posted by want2beaqui
With the 50% elite bonus that comes with being flying blue silver does that mean you earn 50% on all skyteam flights or just AF/KL flights? I have read all around and for some reason the wording is confusing to me. It just says 50% bonus miles but doesn't specify solely AF/KL.

Thank you!
http://www.flyingblue.com/partners/airlines.html
this link allows you to know the conditions to earn miles on the skyteam members and partner companies of FB program.
It is clearly mentionned on each Skyteam company detail:
"Remember to take into account your membership level when calculating how many Miles you will earn. The accrual percentages in the scheme below do not yet include the Mileage bonus for your membership level."
For example: AR flight from Buenos Aires to New York (5,291 miles one-way)

As a Flying Blue Gold member in Business Class – booking sub-class D, you earn:

6,614 Level Miles (5,291 x 125%) and
10,582 Award Miles (5,291 x 125% = 6,614 + 75% Mileage bonus on 5291)

As a Flying Blue Ivory member in Economy Class – booking sub-class L, you earn:

2,645 Level Miles (5,291 x 50%) and
2,645 Award Miles (5,291 x 50%) - no Mileage bonus applicable

Mileage Status bonus is only for award miles, not level miles and only on Skyteam members, not for all FB partners, like JAL

Last edited by delanotre; Jul 3, 2014 at 3:14 am Reason: example
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: AF P, BA G, A3 *G, EK G
Originally Posted by delanotre
http://www.flyingblue.com/partners/airlines.html
this link allows you to know the conditions to earn miles on the skyteam members and partner companies of FB program.
It is clearly mentionned on each Skyteam company detail:
"Remember to take into account your membership level when calculating how many Miles you will earn. The accrual percentages in the scheme below do not yet include the Mileage bonus for your membership level."
For example: AR flight from Buenos Aires to New York (5,291 miles one-way)

As a Flying Blue Gold member in Business Class – booking sub-class D, you earn:

6,614 Level Miles (5,291 x 125%) and
10,582 Award Miles (5,291 x 125% = 6,614 + 75% Mileage bonus on 5291)

As a Flying Blue Ivory member in Economy Class – booking sub-class L, you earn:

2,645 Level Miles (5,291 x 50%) and
2,645 Award Miles (5,291 x 50%) - no Mileage bonus applicable

Mileage Status bonus is only for award miles, not level miles and only on Skyteam members, not for all FB partners, like JAL
I know it was clearly stated it just seemed too good since it doesn't work like that for my BAEC and A3. Thanks for the clarification
Old Jul 9, 2014, 1:35 am

Since for Ivory (entry-level) members Level Miles are reset to 0 on January 1 every year, is it completely pointless to join FB now if I don't think I can make it to the next level by December 31?

Also, when I upgrade to the next level do my miles go back down to 0? I.e. Do I need 40,000 miles to get to gold or 25,000 + 40,000 = 60,000?

I'm sorry if this question has already been answered, but there's a lot of information to sift through here.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 2:25 am

Programs: FB Silver
Originally Posted by backpacker24
Since for Ivory (entry-level) members Level Miles are reset to 0 on January 1 every year, is it completely pointless to join FB now if I don't think I can make it to the next level by December 31?
You will still have the Award Miles...

Also, when I upgrade to the next level do my miles go back down to 0? I.e. Do I need 40,000 miles to get to gold or 25,000 + 40,000 = 60,000?
Your level miles will not go back to 0 after reaching silver. So for reaching gold you will need 40.000 Level miles. After reaching silver you'll only need 15.000 more.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 6:34 am

Ivory will also give you a free checked bag until 1 October, and a discounted one after that date.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Siebrand
Ivory will also give you a free checked bag until 1 October, and a discounted one after that date.
Good to know, but I suppose my primary goal here is to get lounge access, and I don't fly THAT much, so I think I'd better find a program that will give me 12 months from the sign up date to get to the next level.

Maybe Aeromexico, since their threshold is still kind of low (50k miles for elite plus)
Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Maybe Aeromexico, since their threshold is still kind of low (50k miles for elite plus)
But why would that be any better than FB? FB Gold requires 40k miles and provides you ST Elite+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.