Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Domestic predeparture beverage downgraded as of August 7, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic predeparture beverage downgraded as of August 7, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Maybe Naya has paid AC for the privilege of serving their bottled water in the business class cabin?...
Maybe.

Originally Posted by Clipper801
.....I thought historically AC used Coca Cola products.

Let's wander down memory lane....

Jan 6 ,2105 from the thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...er-tasted.html

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
It seems like about a year ago AC switched from Dasani onboard to Naya. For those unfamiliar with it, Naya comes in a green/blue bottle and is bottled near Mirabel, Quebec. I know Dasani had its critics, but to me this water is a completely whole other level of nasty. It is like it has some scum-like aftertaste.

I am not exaggerating when I say I'd rather drink tap water in most cities. I have no clue why AC uses it when there are so many other better brands. I won't bother listing them, because any brand you can name is better. Seriously - Great Value from Wal-Mart is several steps above in taste.

I keep being bothered by this foul tasting water when onboard int'l flights but keep forgetting to post about it. I can't find a thread about Naya, so here I am complaining about it. Wondering if others feel the same?

The only reason I can think for AC to be carrying Naya onboard is someone at AC knows someone's _________ family member and got the contract. If anyone making decisions actually first tried the water, I don't see any scenario they wouldn't have spit it out.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Diabolical.

Maybe this will eliminate those flights where I get no PDB and no bottle. AC remains the only airline not to provide a PDB in J, not that I fly *that* often for a huge base - but AC has forgotten several times.

One can only imagine how much fuel AC will save by not loading 5 litres of juice on a flight.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Not if my blood sugar's low.
i had exactly the same reaction.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by jc94
Diabolical.

Maybe this will eliminate those flights where I get no PDB and no bottle. AC remains the only airline not to provide a PDB in J, not that I fly *that* often for a huge base - but AC has forgotten several times.
(bolding mine)

For the most part, PDB don't exist at all on intra-European flights in J (not even a cup of water.

But yeah, in terms of NA airlines, it's rather sad when I have to say that UA and AA are miles ahead of AC when it comes to PDBs.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:58 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
But yeah, in terms of NA airlines, it's rather sad when I have to say that UA and AA are miles ahead of AC when it comes to PDBs.
Don't forget DL. Not only do they provide a wide variety of PDB choices, they also provide a bottle of water!
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Not if my blood sugar's low.
I was expecting your comment. If you require an emergency glucose hit, take one of your tablets or gel caps. It is better than the OJ which is acidic and exacerbates the enamel destruction issues inherent to diabetics. And yes, there should be a few juice boxes onboard for such an emergency if you forgot your safety pack.

These days, most everyone has a friend or family member who is diabetic, so we do appreciate the concern.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I think there have been food downgrades as well. Both in quality and quantity.

I have not seen a domestic AAA Alberta Steak in a long time. Crew said my YVR-YYZ 767 widebody flight yesterday had been double catered when it left YYZ for a load of 14pax which turned into 24pax a few hours before leaving YVR). Meals seemed rouge quality (veal stew, sliced chicken & rice, raviolli, or fish).
Do the rock hard rolls earn extra Aeroplan points for flying yyz-yvr-yyz?

Several people had no choice but the stew and went with the defrosted onboard mac & cheese from Y cabin BoB.

On the international side, our ICN-YVR had the usual 'at your leisure anytime' snack choice of noodles. AC loaded qty 6, for a flight with 30J seats occupied. No noodles for 3 super elites, I guess we weren't worthy.

Looks like we got in just under the wire for our predeparture OJ though. Speaking of OJ, does anyone else remember the PDB OJ being fresh squeezed with pulp poured from a carafe in 2014-2015? Since then it has been from a shelf stable minute maid or tropicana container.

Last edited by expert7700; Aug 7, 2017 at 11:42 pm
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Apparently domestic J only receives bottled water handed out at boarding. I asked about a choice and orange juice was no longer an option. Upon further query this is a change as of August 7, 2017.

I am reporting what I was told on yyz to yvr today.
I guess they pre-empted it on my flight because I flew on August 6, 2017 and received a 600 mL Naya bottle.

Today I received a 330 mL Naya bottle.

TBH, I kind of don't care and don't mind it since it's not too much of a change from the current OJ or Water. I like to down a glass of water at the end of the flight just prior to or after landing, similar to international J on AC.

If people here fly other country's domestic/Schengen/intra-Europe carriers up front, you already know that several also offer bottled water as the "PDB".
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jc94
Diabolical.

I have many examples, but I will give one for now - LX intra-Europe offers a small bottle of water as the PDB.

People here think I fly solely on AC but this is the furthest from the truth.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll put this out there for discussion (aka "flaming" by the RCHHMP here on this forum)

Could this be also attributed to union shenanigans?

1. Crew too lazy to poor individual cups;
2. Complain about possible spillage (which I've actually seen where the entire tray was dropped and the 12 cups of liquids go everywhere);
3. Crew too lazy to pick up cups;
4. Crew too lazy to figure out who boarded later in the process in order to serve them PDB after they've already gone to earlier-boarded J passengers - because this happens often where they do one round and then "IDGAF" about anyone who boards J later;
5. Crew citing that the Orange Juice is too acidic and if spilled, could incur injuries (yeah, I'm being sarcastic);
6. Crew too lazy because of the "time consuming" process of pouring OJ and water into plastic cups;
7. Some far-fetched safety excuse.

Last edited by yyznomad; Aug 8, 2017 at 12:05 am
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:59 pm
Original Member

I had the duck.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I guess they pre-empted it on my flight because I flew on August 6, 2017 and received a 600 mL Naya bottle.

Today I received a 330 mL Naya bottle.

TBH, I kind of don't care and don't mind it since it's not too much of a change from the current OJ or Water. I like to down a glass of water at the end of the flight just prior to or after landing, similar to international J on AC.

If people here fly other country's domestic/Schengen/intra-Europe carriers up front, you already know that several also offer bottled water as the "PDB".
Basic stats would suggest you should expect a 180ml Naya bottle tomorrow.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:55 am
Original Member

Filled?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:48 am

Wow, I always wondered what would be my last straw... looks like I will start crediting to another frequent flier program in the new year...
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: Free Agent
Will take a sealed bottle over an open cup poured behind the curtain any day. disclaimer: I was not a fan of the OJ any way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.