Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada treats Star Alliance Gold Member unfairly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: EVA Gold

I'm 18 now but last year when I was 17 flying from Toronto to Vancouver, I was denied access to the airport lounge, since apparently the law states that people under 19 cannot go into the lounge. This is completely unacceptable. I've been a Star Alliance Gold member for more than 6 years and this has never happened to me. I complained to the service people and they simply brushed me off , and their attitude was extremely poor. The told me that I'm still young and a bunch of BS. As well, being an Asian fellow trying to access the lounge, they already give me a dirty look since I'm young and what not. My whole plan was to eat and relax for my flight, but they were reluctant to compensate my needs, basically telling me to go away. The way the responded to my problem was simply not acceptable , and I wish for them to change the way they deal with this situation, as I know I'm not the only one.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Wow that's different from my experiences. I'm the same age and I've had no problems accessing the MLL's in YVR, YYC, or YYZ, whether I'm guesting in someone older or not. Might help that I look a bit older though. I've also never had problem with alcohol , though I only try when it's a self serve bar.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Per the Maple Leaf Lounges Admittance Terms and Conditions:

6. For the safety of our younger guests, each lounge strictly adheres to local laws and regulations regarding the serving of alcoholic beverages. Minors must be accompanied by an adult lounge guest.

https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/...f-lounges.html

SL
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SunLover
Per the Maple Leaf Lounges Admittance Terms and Conditions:

6. For the safety of our younger guests, each lounge strictly adheres to local laws and regulations regarding the serving of alcoholic beverages. Minors must be accompanied by an adult lounge guest.

https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/...f-lounges.html

SL
Here's the thing though, he was 17, not 10. I don't even understand how a lounge agent is making a distinction. Unless he was dressed *very* casually, I just can't even imagine an agent getting asking about that. I understand ID'ing at a staffed bar but not this.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by zeer0
I just can't even imagine an agent getting asking about that. I understand ID'ing at a staffed bar but not this.
If the liquor station is unstaffed ID'ing at the door is essentially the same thing. Accompanied minors are assumed to be under parental supervision. And I would dare say a 17yo is more likely temped by the availability of alcohol than a 10yo would be.

Local liquor laws dictate operating procedures. While the merits of the policy is debatable; it is clearly published, and in this case was enforced. FWIW United Clubs have similar admittance policy qualifiers:

Customers must be 18 years of age or older for access at any United-operated lounge unless accompanied by a supervising adult 18 years of age or older.

Guests must be at least 21 years of age to access a United Club location with a self-service bar, unless accompanied by an adult who is at least 21 years of age.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...nge/rules.aspx

SL
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:24 pm

Well thankfully from personal experience these policies are rarely followed. Although now that I think back to a few years ago, I was asked about my age once at a United club, but it was an IRROPS situation and not at the door.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:35 pm

If the OP finds the law unacceptable the complaint should be levelled against the relevant Provincial gov't. AC can't change their policy to be inconsistent with the law. Friendly up to another passenger and go in with them next time as your guardian.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Giving AC the benefit of the doubt that this is, in fact, a provincial law, I don't see how you can blame them for a situation clearly outside of their control. Canada is a very conservative country with respect to alcohol and while this may be surprising to someone from a different part of the world, it isn't something you can take up with Air Canada.

Just step outside, walk to the gate area of any Air Canada flight, and ask any adult if they'd like to be guested into the MLL. Problem solved.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Here's the thing though, he was 17, not 10. I don't even understand how a lounge agent is making a distinction. Unless he was dressed *very* casually, I just can't even imagine an agent getting asking about that. I understand ID'ing at a staffed bar but not this.
I'm 28 (not 17, or 10), and I've been carded in MLLs in Ontario and Alberta.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:24 pm

I'm routinely IDed going into MLLs. It's a licensed establishment with self-serve booze, so yeah they have an age policy. And to be clear, this isn't AC treating *G unfairly, the same rules apply to their own members.

The only exception I'm aware of is for underage SE, where access arrangements can be made with the concierge.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: EVA Gold
Hey thanks for everyone's input on this.

Im just deeply disappointed overall with how Air Canada treats me. I've flown on many airlines throughout the world, but within canada i only fly air canada due to the star alliance relation. Maybe its just me not being used to how they treat people. Everytime at the airport check in counter they always tell me to go line up at the economy class check in and they think im in the wrong line. Im fine with being asked once, but its EVERYTIME ! Ive even asked a friend to come with just to show her how they treat me!
It could just be me though? Because im not a suited up business men?

As for the lounge, the person at the counter was on the phone while checking me in to the lounge, she didnt even bother hanging up her phone to tell me whats going on. She just asked for my ID and told me i couldnt come in, it wasnt until i went back later to talk to the other guy that he explained to me. What really upsets me is I spend tremendous amounts of money to fly , and yet just because im not old enough i cant use the perks of my status ?? I would think AC would come up with some type of compensation for this. Obviously they have to obey the laws, but what am i suppose to do? Not being able to enjoy the lounge for another year or so ? Its frustrating that this has never happened to me before, maybe because they didnt need to ID me because they think im old enough, but the only time they do ID me, they treated me very poorly.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by johnny4508

What really upsets me is I spend tremendous amounts of money to fly , and yet just because im not old enough i cant use the perks of my status ??
There is nothing AC can/will/should do here. It's the law and AC has to check and deny you access. Frankly if they let you in and it was discovered they'd be in a heck of a lot of trouble.
I understand this is unsatisfying, but I really don't see how this is ACs fault. Fly in/to/from Europe ... you'll be fine that might be a solution
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:17 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by johnny4508
Hey thanks for everyone's input on this.

Im just deeply disappointed overall with how Air Canada treats me. I've flown on many airlines throughout the world, but within canada i only fly air canada due to the star alliance relation. Maybe its just me not being used to how they treat people. Everytime at the airport check in counter they always tell me to go line up at the economy class check in and they think im in the wrong line. Im fine with being asked once, but its EVERYTIME ! Ive even asked a friend to come with just to show her how they treat me!
It could just be me though? Because im not a suited up business men?

As for the lounge, the person at the counter was on the phone while checking me in to the lounge, she didnt even bother hanging up her phone to tell me whats going on. She just asked for my ID and told me i couldnt come in, it wasnt until i went back later to talk to the other guy that he explained to me. What really upsets me is I spend tremendous amounts of money to fly , and yet just because im not old enough i cant use the perks of my status ?? I would think AC would come up with some type of compensation for this. Obviously they have to obey the laws, but what am i suppose to do? Not being able to enjoy the lounge for another year or so ? Its frustrating that this has never happened to me before, maybe because they didnt need to ID me because they think im old enough, but the only time they do ID me, they treated me very poorly.
You have a valid point about poor attitude and rude behaviour from staff, but at the end of the day the answer is yes, you will not be able to use the lounge until you reach 19. I don't know why Air Canada would compensate you for something which is totally outside of their control.

But don't worry, the MLL is nothing to get too fussed about, especially if you can't legally drink. There's precious little else in there besides free-pour booze.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Wow that's different from my experiences. I'm the same age and I've had no problems accessing the MLL's in YVR, YYC, or YYZ, whether I'm guesting in someone older or not. Might help that I look a bit older though. I've also never had problem with alcohol , though I only try when it's a self serve bar.
And this is the reason why they enforce the rule.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
So funny that this comes up once in a while. I've been an AC SE for many years, including when I was underage. YVR was always the most problematic. I had a concierge come in and waste time sitting with me when I wanted to use it. But there are rules in place (in large part, thanks to me) that you can enter the lounge under the purview of the F&B manager... I never drank underage, and mainly wanted to use the lounge as part of my benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.