Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Eliminating MPM5 as of Oct 29?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Eliminating MPM5 as of Oct 29?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:25 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Its seems to be a arbitrary number that AE has come up with based on a slight adjustment of MPM base (the lower value between PA and AT routings).

This will involve one phone call to determine the value, and a second phone call to book your award around the value.

At least the call center technicians won't be out of work.

We will have to encourage others in the Mini RTW 2.0 thread to ask the reservations agent the AE MPM value between their city pairs and to post it in the thread for increased overall knowledge to maximize rewards.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:27 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Its seems to be a arbitrary number that AE has come up with based on a slight adjustment of MPM base (the lower value between PA and AT routings).

This will involve one phone call to determine the value, and a second phone call to book your award around the value.

At least the call center technicians won't be out of work.
Yeah, hence my comment about the stupid dStinktion Diamond status FINALLY being of some value

The hard part will be this - we don't really know WHAT they consider as the MPM now. Is it the furthest away point? What about stops? Do they recalculate based on any stops? I *think* it's furthest point and do whatever you want in between, but not 100% certain.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: AC 75K
Their system isn't pricing rewards correctly either.

SYD-BKK-CDG-YYZ-LAX-SYD is pricing at 145,000 miles

SYD-SIN-HND-YYZ-LAX-SYD is pricing at 160,000 miles

AE must share the same IT team as AC.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Their system isn't pricing rewards correctly either.

SYD-BKK-CDG-YYZ-LAX-SYD is pricing at 145,000 miles

SYD-SIN-HND-YYZ-LAX-SYD is pricing at 160,000 miles

AE must share the same IT team as AC.
So its pricing one trip as SYD-CDG-SYD (Europe 1 145k), and the other as SYD-YYZ-SYD (NA - 160k)

Seems consistent with the furthest point theory, no?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Yeah, hence my comment about the stupid dStinktion Diamond status FINALLY being of some value

The hard part will be this - we don't really know WHAT they consider as the MPM now. Is it the furthest away point? What about stops? Do they recalculate based on any stops? I *think* it's furthest point and do whatever you want in between, but not 100% certain.
I don't know about that. If they are no longer sending routes to ticketing to manually calculate taxes/fees that the system can't give them doesn't that kill a lot of the "whatever you want in between"? My concern is that will be severely limiting and we will get a response of "the computer says it's not valid" without a specific reason.

A few days before the new rules I changed an upcoming mini-rtw. I leave near xmas and it's not an easy time to find J without much YQ so my new outbound is YOW-YUL-ZRH-MXP-IST-CAN-BKK. I have an overnight connection in there but it's a long trip and I'm still waiting for ticketing to get back to me before it's finalized. This would not be bookable now whether within the new MPM or not - at least that's my understanding.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:46 am

GCMap has CDG further from SYD than YYZ
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:51 am

Yeah I think definitely we can see the following points:

-prices as furthest destination (POT still applies)
-centralized MPM number
-open jaw can be anywhere

other than that, I don't think much has changed.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by crimsona
GCMap has CDG further from SYD than YYZ
Yes, but in my case, YYZ was the stopover. CDG was a connection. IIRC, connections didn't used to count for MPM/POT purposes.

So it is consistent with furthest point theory, but with a twist.

Time for AE to come clean (wishful thinking, I know).
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:06 am

Yes, but in my case, YYZ was the stopover. CDG was a connection. IIRC, connections didn't used to count for MPM/POT purposes.

So it is consistent with furthest point theory, but with a twist.

Time for AE to come clean (wishful thinking, I know).
i don't even know whether it's highest point transited or highest point stopped anymore...
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Originally Posted by yerffej201
i don't even know whether it's highest point transited or highest point stopped anymore...
T&C
REDEEMING AEROPLAN CLASSICFLIGHT AND MARKET FARE FLIGHT REWARDS

5. Flight reward mileage is determined by the region/destination, highest class of service, and whether the booking is roundtrip or a one-way trip.

5.1. If any allowable stopover point is in a different region than the flight reward destination, the higher reward mileage level will apply.

5.2. In the case of an open jaw, the region/destination with the higher mileage level will apply.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:10 pm

From Facebook (bolding mine):

"which rules are you referring to? Routing validations are now done by the system as opposed as being manually determined but the rules themselves ave no changed. I would suggest calling us for more information regarding any routing that you are trying to book."

Anyone care to add on to the post?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:28 pm

From Facebook (bolding mine):

"which rules are you referring to? Routing validations are now done by the system as opposed as being manually determined but the rules themselves ave no changed. I would suggest calling us for more information regarding any routing that you are trying to book."

Anyone care to add on to the post?
So I'm assuming AP (or whoever) is saying that the rules of MPM is determined by POT, 2 stopovers plus dest, and most other "rules" have stayed the same. It's only the MPM values that have changed and published routings that have been scrapped.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Had three different agents tell me this morning that MPM no longer exists.

Considering that each of them was wrong about a different, other aspect of the program, I'm not sure what to make of that.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:12 pm

I don't think the new maximum mileage restriction is based on direct distance between origin and destination. I think it's more complex. I have a feeling it's something like an average of Pacific and Atlantic MPMs.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
goal will be to have destination as some place on the opposite side of Earth's sphere, or in that rough area, to ensure PA and AT distances are similar & dont get limited by the shorter route.

that gives YYZ folks most of south Asia and Australia to pick from
YVR folks really got shafted as it'd be basically western Australia like Perth, South Africa like JNB or CPT, and a whole lot of Indian Ocean...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.