Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Eliminating MPM5 as of Oct 29?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Eliminating MPM5 as of Oct 29?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
I'm hoping the IT monkeys will royally screw up this new computer "upgrade" and cause another 'business-class-for-economy-class-miles' glitch like in 2011.
#wishfulthinking
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:09 pm

Location: either in Salishaan, or at an isolated colliery in the Canadian northland
Programs: AC P75: previously, quintuple secret pterodactyl wings, every year
Heh. Now my raven sense is tingling, that other changes might be in the wind for Aeroplan redemptions.

I suspect that I had best book my planned long-haul vacation right... NOW.

/mevs
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by Skyborne Flyer
Allow me to rant a little guys:
Are (you) people so stupid: "Oh great, AC/AP just announced some improvements to the program, I'm sure that will benefit us flyers, they must want to further reward our loyalty, as they love us so much." WRONG. How can one be so gullible? Oh, AP is "improving" their routing rules to allow computers to validate bookings? We sure don't want to over tax the poor call center agents. Those poor souls, having to check a table to make sure BKK-FRA isn't a Europe short haul reward, Bangkok sure does sound like the capital of Belgium right? Yeah, better have a computer do that, will benefit us all! WRONG. While we're at it, lets make the chart simpler, one mile=0.01$, much simpler for everyone to understand. That way ma and pa kettle can book their YXU-YYZ tix without having to fret about how many miles they'll need. Oh and you want to book FRA-BKK-NRT in F? Oh, that's about $15k so a smooth 1.5Mil miles, no biggie. Much easier for everyone am I right? You can even pick any day to travel, O is wide open! I wonder why?

If I hear any more crap from people spouting off how these changes will be great, or how we'd be better of with a WestJet style system, I'm going to loose it. No frikin news is great news. Anything else is BS that will cost us dearly. Mise well blow my miles before the 29th...

http://youtu.be/eLxphQsolAA
Who is it exactly that you are arguing with?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by echino
This is the end of mini-RTWs as we know it.
Too bad. I am planning for a mini RTW for next year.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cana2013
Too bad. I am planning for a mini RTW for next year.
Not so sure. Years ago stops in Europe on the way to Asia were not permitted. After non stop polar routes (ewr sin, yyz hkg, Jfk BKK), they were allowed. I don't know that this new tool has anything to do with routing via Europe or not.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by zorn
Who is it exactly that you are arguing with?
Ah, who knows. Probably myself, but I sure ain't singing AC/AP any praises
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:14 pm

Here's to hoping that the changes will include being able to book two stopover/one stopover+one open jaw on aeroplan.com . If the computer can calculate it, no reason to not have it online.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Platinum, Cathay Pacific Gold, club carlson Gold, Le club Accor Platinum
Unfortunately, from my source, it won't be online and you still need to call in to book 2stopover+ 1 open jaw/ destination.
Originally Posted by claurianta2
Here's to hoping that the changes will include being able to book two stopover/one stopover+one open jaw on aeroplan.com . If the computer can calculate it, no reason to not have it online.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by c_9
Can someone provide an example of a routing that would be impacted by losing the MPM5 option? I did a mini-RTW 3.5 years ago that was quite complex, but I'm not certain if it would require manual ticketing or not. Planning on booking another within the next year to liquidate points and a little worried, but don't have a good frame of reference for what this means yet.
YVR-SEA-NRT (stop)-TPE-SIN (POT)-TPE (stop)-SFO-YVR had taxes calculated by the computer and billed on the spot. (7 segments)

YYZ-CAI-KUL (stop)-BKK-AKL (stop)-SYD (POT)-SFO-YVR-YYZ was sent to manual ticketing (8 segments)

Just my experience.

In both cases though, they were validated against MPM.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:11 pm

I am afraid
No AC/AE news ever come out good, in the general sense

I booked my Mini-RTW on Oct 1st and the agent mentioned undergoing new training etc...
but I thought most things were already computer ticketed (mine kinda was, I think)

Anyway, Oct 29th is a weird date to roll out
and I can only hope it actually improves online availability also? (doubtful) like fixing the SN availabillity
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by claurianta2
Seriously? You've got to be kidding, right? Like that will EVER happen with this crew. I see waaaay less choice in the immediate future. Decent miniRTW wil likely be dead as mentioned above. Just look at what is on offer now when you try to find flights given the simpleton logic programmed in the system. Good luck with any complex itineraries as these will never be calculated by the computer. It's the Delta award engine Mark II
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I can only hope it actually improves online availability also?

Hahahahahahahha...ROTFLMAO

Best comment yet! (not a stab at you Jerry - only AE)
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, OW Sapphire
Any idea where the changes will be announced? Will there be a true announcement describing changes or will it be silent, and we'll have to figure out what works and what doesn't by experience?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Skyborne Flyer
Any idea where the changes will be announced? Will there be a true announcement describing changes or will it be silent, and we'll have to figure out what works and what doesn't by experience?
My guess - SILENT

Heck, without lucky's blog, I wouldn't even know such change is coming
In that regard, AC's Altitude 2015 BAD news is at least announced
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
I booked a ticket this morning, was MPM10 so refused, excellent agent, he told me to call tomorrow as rules were being relaxed and should be possible from his training and understanding. He said no award levels etc were being tampered with.

I was a fraction skeptical and amended my routing to MPM5 and ticketed but it may not be disaster at first sight. I does however make me queasy whenever I see Aeroplan link to 2014 Reward Chart as if implicit that this will be subject to change year on year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.