Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Eliminating MPM5 as of Oct 29?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Eliminating MPM5 as of Oct 29?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:37 pm

Is calling in the answer

Not sure if calling in is the answer

My two previous trips were

1)
YYZ-ORD-IST-ICN-CEB
Open Jaw CEB-SIN
SIN-HKG
HGK-BKK-IST-JKF-YYZ

2)
YYZ-TPE-ICN-CEB
Open Jaw CEB-MNL
MNL-BKK
BKK-KUL-IST-YYZ

Both times I had to call in to have tickets confirmed- could not do it online.

Now on the multi-city online page I can’t fine any combination that doesn’t give me the MPM error. For the following basic route

YYZ-MNL
MNL-BKK
MNL-YYZ

I the YYZ-MNL route only shows via the Pacific. The MNL-YYZ route shows both Pacific and Atlantic routes. I can’t find a combination of anything that works. I hope when I call in I will be able to get an agent that work out something for me.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:43 pm

Is calling in the answer

sorry posted twice

Last edited by concol; Oct 29, 2014 at 12:44 pm Reason: deleted
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, OW Sapphire
Looks like all the roundabout routes have been axed. FRA-ICN-YYZ-FRA doesn't work, even though it worked last night. FRA-LAX-NRT-FRA also doesn't work. Pity, those were fun... Any idea on the official rules? MPM flat, MPM+x? Elites should have gotten an email with "news" about the update as per a rude AP agent?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:25 pm

Meanwhile FRA-IST-CAI-YYZ coming in at 7669mi is proudly displayed by the AP engine. Only MPM+60 on that one. ... AP, at least be consistent you idiots.

EDIT: I lie, AP displays it proudly but errors out when you go to book. Seriously, get your .... together AP, try showing valid routes in you search engine at least?! ******* incompetent *****
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:38 pm

Also reading through the TC's, is this something new:
Subject to earlier termination or amendment of the Aeroplan Program, you can accumulate Aeroplan Miles until December 31, 2014, and request reward travel until March 31, 2015. Reward travel must be completed by December 14, 2015.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Skyborne Flyer
Also reading through the TC's, is this something new:
Googling reveals that's old, with dates updating every year, it seems. Not sure what it means, but Aeroplan program is not ending any time soon.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:03 pm

Ok, just got of the phone with AP, Europe-NA over Asia/TPAC is dead, and MPM EU-Asia1/2 doesn't seem to have improved. From what the agent told me, the MPM on FRA-NRT that the computer allows is 9662. The published MPM is 9320. From that, looks like the new system is using MPM3.6 instead of the old MPM5. If anyone else has heard any quoted MPMs from agents, it would be great if they could post those here, and we can try and figure out the new rules.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:20 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I can confirm with both an E50k and a P25K in the household, no email was sent specific to this issue (unless it was buried in a link somewhere in the Altitude Report)
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Thank goodness I did not rely on yesterday's agent before getting my trip booked. The agent was really pleasant and I do not think was trying to pull wool over my eyes.

East Coast-Europe-Asia is a perfectly rational routing and to eliminate it is absurd, it is published by every European carrier.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:12 pm

and Multi-City fails big time now

I can't do YYZ-CDG, CDG-TPE, TPE-YYZ (I tested this) <- says Market fare doesn't fly to TPE (WTH), whether I choose Y or J. Replace TPE with PVG then it works

or YYZ-IST-ICN-TPE, TPE-YYZ (I booked this ONLINE in March 2014) <- same error

so basically anytime I input Taipei (TPE), in Multi-City, I'd get this error
ClassicFlight Reward
ClassicFlight Rewards are not valid for your requested itinerary. Rollover the icon for more details.

Market Fare Flight Reward
At least one flight segment is not operated by Air Canada for Market Fare Flight Rewards. Please see below:
YYZ-TPE RT search works okay
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
Hopefully it's just a glitch or the usual IT problems, but even simple routings bring this up:

"Market Fare Flight Rewards are only offered on Air Canada operated flights. Air Canada does not operate flights between the requested cities. Please try a different search."

Examples include:

YYZ-PEK
PEK-MUC
MUC-YYZ

or

YYZ-HKG
HKG-FRA
FRA-YYZ

Don't have the time right now to plot the reverse the direction, but I hope AP isn't trying to tinker too much.

Additional: these quick searches were using the Classic rewards (ie, not the inflated required miles).

Last edited by yqtyyz; Oct 29, 2014 at 4:16 pm Reason: Added "Classic" comment
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by yqtyyz
"Market Fare Flight Rewards are only offered on Air Canada operated flights. Air Canada does not operate flights between the requested cities. Please try a different search."
Did you do this:

Rollover the icon for more details.

Where it says maximum permitted distance exceeded. So Aeroplan did not eliminate MPM at all. Quite the opposite, it seems it tightened it, but only in some situations. Can't figure it out completely.

Anyway, what is obvious at this point, is that complex mini-RTWs are over.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
and Multi-City fails big time now

I can't do YYZ-CDG, CDG-TPE, TPE-YYZ (I tested this) <- says Market fare doesn't fly to TPE (WTH), whether I choose Y or J. Replace TPE with PVG then it works
I get this error message:

Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:30 pm

I did try to hover over the icon but perhaps my Bell hotspot connection was so slow such that the icon didn't pop up. I'll definitely give it another shot when I get home.

Originally Posted by echino
Did you do this:

Rollover the icon for more details.

Where it says maximum permitted distance exceeded. So Aeroplan did not eliminate MPM at all. Quite the opposite, it seems it tightened it, but only in some situations. Can't figure it out completely.

Anyway, what is obvious at this point, is that complex mini-RTWs are over.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:32 pm

Yeah - I got that for one of my searches as well.

Originally Posted by crimsona
I get this error message:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.