Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Eliminating MPM5 as of Oct 29?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Eliminating MPM5 as of Oct 29?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by Cerenity
goal will be to have destination as some place on the opposite side of Earth's sphere, or in that rough area, to ensure PA and AT distances are similar & dont get limited by the shorter route.

that gives YYZ folks most of south Asia and Australia to pick from
YVR folks really got shafted as it'd be basically western Australia like Perth, South Africa like JNB or CPT, and a whole lot of Indian Ocean...
Europe is left with few options too right? Maybe Australia? All of Asia 1 seems too close to be able to do a TATL
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:22 pm

http://furthestcity.com/City.php?ID=VANCOUVER_BC_CANADA

Seems like South Africa is YVR's Antipode (or slightly north of it)

http://furthestcity.com/City.php?ID=TORONTO_ON_CANADA

Australia (both coasts!) for YYZ

http://furthestcity.com/City.php?ID=...UNITED_KINGDOM

New Zealand for London
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:05 pm

What about already issued tickets?

Would also be helpful if someone posts any experience attempting to change a ticketed itinerary.

I have US-Asia-Europe rt in F for 125K in 2015

Hoping to change from OZ F to LH F at T-14, so need to know what the policy is on already ticketed itineraries. Would suck to lose this.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:12 pm

Interesting development is that the cost of a flight with a stopover seems to be at the point-of-turnaround level, without regard to stopovers, unlike the old rules which said it's the highest of the destination and stopover.

For example, YOW-DEL(stopover)-BKK(destination)-YOW prices out at 75K for economy, which is the price for YOW-BKK - the price for YOW-DEL is 100K roundtrip.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3247 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by claurianta2
Interesting development is that the cost of a flight with a stopover seems to be at the point-of-turnaround level, without regard to stopovers, unlike the old rules which said it's the highest of the destination and stopover.

For example, YOW-DEL(stopover)-BKK(destination)-YOW prices out at 75K for economy, which is the price for YOW-BKK - the price for YOW-DEL is 100K roundtrip.
I feel like this can be used for our advantage...
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Plasticus
Would also be helpful if someone posts any experience attempting to change a ticketed itinerary.

I have US-Asia-Europe rt in F for 125K in 2015

Hoping to change from OZ F to LH F at T-14, so need to know what the policy is on already ticketed itineraries. Would suck to lose this.
I called in last night to make a change to an existing mini-rtw booking due to a cancelled flight. Took about 45 minutes on the phone for the agent to process the change for two of us on separate PNRs. At one point the agent said something to the effect of it not working on the new system so she had to log into the old system to do it. So it seems doable to make changes to existing reservations that might not fit the new MPM.

My new itinerary is
YYZ-ZRH
ZRH-GVA
GVA-AGP (stop)
AGP-IST
IST-KUL (stop)
KUL-SIN (stop)
SIN-HND
HND-SFO
SFO-YVR
YVR-YYZ

Originally booked as YYZ-JFK-GVA, with the YYZ-JFK flight getting cancelled.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by Skyborne Flyer
Europe is left with few options too right? Maybe Australia? All of Asia 1 seems too close to be able to do a TATL
YVR to Europe is actually not that far due to great circle flying. its only about 1/4 the distance of the circumference of Earth.

from YVR, I think western Australia, like Perth, would work. Eastern Aussie is too shifted and while via PA would work, via AT/Euro likely would not. I believe places like Maldives, South Africa, and west Aussie would all work for YVR folks

the 2 pictures on the right illustrate this pretty well. look at the top picture, and look at the yellow regions (upside down shape of North America). East coast NA is near the western part of Australia, but west coast NA is way in the southern part of Indian Ocean

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipodes

btw thanks crimsona i learned a new word today thought of the idea but didnt know what it was called.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:17 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Cerenity
goal will be to have destination as some place on the opposite side of Earth's sphere, or in that rough area, to ensure PA and AT distances are similar & dont get limited by the shorter route.

that gives YYZ folks most of south Asia and Australia to pick from
YVR folks really got shafted as it'd be basically western Australia like Perth, South Africa like JNB or CPT, and a whole lot of Indian Ocean...
For the YVR folks, I am still seeing rewards under the new era via India (DEL) showing up as mostly Pacific but also some Atlantic routings in there via LHR on dates that space is available.

Lower down Maldives appear to route mostly via Pacific (although not many flights from Europe in Star Alliance offer business seats available to rewards)

Still workable at the 150,000 mileage point since it's almost the same as Asia 1.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
I just spoke with a friendly agent as I was trying to validate the mileage on some city pairs for a mini-rtw I was looking to book and was surprised by the disparities between various origins and the POT:

YYC-BKK - 9776
YYZ-BKK - 11055
ORD-BKK - 13753!

Not sure what the rhyme or reason is with these, but I guess I will try to get an itinerary out of ORD.

He also indicated that there are no further rules re: backtracking. That being said, I guess this will be minimized with reduced MPM.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by habshabs444
I just spoke with a friendly agent as I was trying to validate the mileage on some city pairs for a mini-rtw I was looking to book and was surprised by the disparities between various origins and the POT:

YYC-BKK - 9776
YYZ-BKK - 11055
ORD-BKK - 13753!

Not sure what the rhyme or reason is with these, but I guess I will try to get an itinerary out of ORD.

He also indicated that there are no further rules re: backtracking. That being said, I guess this will be minimized with reduced MPM.
People should start posting (or adding in Wiki) in this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...seudo-mpm.html

That makes no sense at all, ORD is only 436 miles from YYZ, and MPM difference is 2698 miles? WTH..
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club

YYC-BKK - 9776
YYZ-BKK - 11055
ORD-BKK - 13753!

Did you ask if you can still build random segments as desired and then have them try auto pricing them?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Did you ask if you can still build random segments as desired and then have them try auto pricing them?
Yes you can do that.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Yes the agent said the only rule know is the maximum mileage per city pair and of course the maximum 2 stops and POT > 24hrs. I specifically asked whether backtracking was allowed and he said so long as you stay within the max mileage you are fine, however, I didn't ask if there was a max number of segments that could be flown.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:15 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.

YYC-BKK - 9776
YYZ-BKK - 11055
ORD-BKK - 13753!

I've noticed a few annoying ones living on the west coast:

YVR - SYD (Stop) - LHR (Stop) - YVR = NOT allowed

YYZ - SYD (Stop) - LHR (Stop) - YYZ = Allowed
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:35 pm

Even before we couldn't go trans Atlantic to Sydney from YVR, as there isn't an AT YVR SYD mpm anyways

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.