Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Eliminating MPM5 as of Oct 29?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Eliminating MPM5 as of Oct 29?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:26 pm
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Have you tried adding a 24 hour stop in Europe? I'd like to know if that works. It seems like it should. It's nonsensical they'd disallow YYZ-FRA-NRT as the amount of fuel surcharges they'd make would be astronomical.
Yes, I replied to your suggestion in the other thread - a stop was also disallowed for MPM. He suggested booking separate one-ways and finding my own way between Asia and Europe.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by c_9
Yes, I replied to your suggestion in the other thread - a stop was also disallowed for MPM. He suggested booking separate one-ways and finding my own way between Asia and Europe.
Jeebus. That's insane. Sorry - didn't see your reply - but that effectively kills YYZ-FRA-NRT which is a HUGE money maker for AC because of the mad fuel surcharge on both segments. Why would they do this???
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:26 pm
c_9

Jeebus. That's insane. Sorry - didn't see your reply - but that effectively kills YYZ-FRA-NRT which is a HUGE money maker for AC because of the mad fuel surcharge on both segments. Why would they do this???
Agreed - either:

a) the other airlines are actually demanding the fuel surcharges so AC isn't making any money on reward tickets at all, or
b) they didn't think about this, or
c) only a tiny number of mini-RTW redemptions are ever made.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Definitely c is the answer. Mini-RTWs are a tiny proportion of trips booked. I'm in an office full of SEs & MMs and very, very few know about the Mini-RTW.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
They used to charge the YYZ-NRT govt mandated YQ of a couple hundred on it - not two segments added together - so AC is not missing out on that much money

Japan TATL is effectively dead.

And yes, mini-rtws are a tiny proportion. Wasnt something like 80% of awards booked domestic/usa?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by krayZpaving
I'm in an office full of SEs & MMs and very, very few know about the Mini-RTW.
Same here and most can't be bothered to educate themselves. Would rather just use their miles on giftcards.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
But if SIN is your POT can you still do a stopover in Japan? That used to work ex YEG anyways.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:22 am
c_9

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
But if SIN is your POT can you still do a stopover in Japan? That used to work ex YEG anyways.
Yes, stopover rules don't appear to be affected, to using SIN or BKK looks like the only option for getting enough MPM miles to work with.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:08 am

Angry Your current flight selection exceeds the...blah blah blah

I was trying to book YYZ-BCN-HKG-YYZ but comes up with "Your current flight selection exceeds the maximum allowable distance permitted. Please start a new search and select more direct flights (if available)" the point is that I could never find any direct flights to shorten my distance. Last year was fine. What will be my options? Would it help if I call Aeroplan and pay the $30.00?
Thanks guys !!!!
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:16 am
alc

It is a change with reward ticket:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-oct-29-a.html

You can try calling but based on the above thread, agents are using the same system

Goodluck

Last edited by alc; Nov 5, 2014 at 6:03 am
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
Try YYZ-BCN-BKK or SIN-YYZ, with HKG as a stopover on the way home from BKK/SIN. Should work okay from an MPM perspective, although you will have to call it in and pay the phone fee, especially if you want to be in HKG for more than 24 hours.

Just put YYZ-BCN,BCN-BKK,BKK-YYZ in a multi-city search, and one of the BKK-YYZ options was BKK-HKG-YYZ on TG and AC, so you should be fine. (But will have to call in to get your +24 stopover.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:05 am

you guys are lightning fast!! will call and see what comes out.
Aeroplan point keeps shrinking !!!
Old Nov 5, 2014, 1:03 pm

I was allowed to make a change on one of my crazy tickets that would have been totally disallowed under the new system (and was probably borderline illegal in the old program too).

I changed the first two segments on my DUB-FRA-ICN-NRT-ORD-YYZ ticket that I booked for Europe-NA mileage, keeping the same routing but switching FRA-ICN OZ F for LH F. Even though the rep was basically saying "WTH did you do", she said if it was booked like that, they have to honour it and that since I wasn't changing the routing, changing the flight numbers/times was fine.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 2:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by tng11
I was allowed to make a change on one of my crazy tickets that would have been totally disallowed under the new system (and was probably borderline illegal in the old program too).

I changed the first two segments on my DUB-FRA-ICN-NRT-ORD-YYZ ticket that I booked for Europe-NA mileage, keeping the same routing but switching FRA-ICN OZ F for LH F. Even though the rep was basically saying "WTH did you do", she said if it was booked like that, they have to honour it and that since I wasn't changing the routing, changing the flight numbers/times was fine.
That's not too bad. So that must mean there IS a way to manually override, since that's no longer legal with the current system.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
That's not too bad. So that must mean there IS a way to manually override, since that's no longer legal with the current system.
Agents still have access to the legacy system but are only supposed to use it for reservations prior to the changeover. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.