Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Eliminating MPM5 as of Oct 29?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First

Just saw this posted on "Lucky's" blog: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...routing-rules/

Apparently a source has told him that:
"Aeroplan’s computers will start pricing and validating awards, so agents will no longer have to validate routings.

In the process of doing that, though, they’re eliminating the restriction of only being able to exceed the MPM by 5-10%."

I suspect some restrictions will be put in place but would be a positive if true.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I would like to think this will be a good thing..... but I ll reserve judgement until Wednesday.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:36 am

So anything the Aeroplan website has trouble pricing will fail? /cynic
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimsona
So anything the Aeroplan website has trouble pricing will fail? /cynic
Exactly, this will probably mean goodbye to more 'creative', multiple segment bookings that try to circumvent YQ, etc.

"The computer doesnt price, cant do" may become a very frustrating response.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:56 am

Even now, the computer doesn't price complex routings and they need to be sent to manual ticketing.

If removing mpm means losing manual ticketing, it's a big loss
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:25 pm

This is the end of mini-RTWs as we know it.

Eliminating MPM in this case does NOT mean you will be able to book a routing exceeding MPM5 which you had not been able to book before.

It means no more manual routing validation.

We were able to book complicated trips like multi-segment mini-RTWs which required manual validation, and if it was within MPM5, then all was fine. With this change such routings will not be allowed as it will not auto-validate.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
I looked at the blog, but the implications of this aren't clear. Does this mean we can't call and tell them what flights we want anymore? If that's the case it's a disaster! My mini-rtw's always require manual validation, if the only options are what their computer spits out for org/dest then......yikes! I'm considering another one for next summer but I'm nowhere near ready to book; this makes me think I should try and get it done by Wed.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by tryinginvain
Does this mean we can't call and tell them what flights we want anymore? If that's the case it's a disaster!
I agree. If this is the case, it may be the end of AE for me.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:46 pm

bleh.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
And the exodus continues...
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:03 pm
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
Can someone provide an example of a routing that would be impacted by losing the MPM5 option? I did a mini-RTW 3.5 years ago that was quite complex, but I'm not certain if it would require manual ticketing or not. Planning on booking another within the next year to liquidate points and a little worried, but don't have a good frame of reference for what this means yet.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I've been planning a Mini for next fall, for which 330 days begins in about two weeks.

Thank --- I haven't transferred my MR points yet.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by echino
This is the end of mini-RTWs as we know it.
Yup, thats how I m reading it.

Of course it would be implemented without notice too.

Hope I m wrong.

Originally Posted by c_9
Can someone provide an example of a routing that would be impacted by losing the MPM5 option? I did a mini-RTW 3.5 years ago that was quite complex, but I'm not certain if it would require manual ticketing or not. Planning on booking another within the next year to liquidate points and a little worried, but don't have a good frame of reference for what this means yet.

It could be something as simple as they'll program computers not to accept routings to Asia via Europe and we are screwed.

Something like YVR-PEK-FRA was for example a good YQ-free option within MPM - I doubt the computer would validate that.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, OW Sapphire
Seriously, one more ___ from the likes of AC/AP and I'm done with them for good.

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 23, 2014 at 10:53 am
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, OW Sapphire
Allow me to rant a little guys:
Are (you) people so stupid: "Oh great, AC/AP just announced some improvements to the program, I'm sure that will benefit us flyers, they must want to further reward our loyalty, as they love us so much." WRONG. How can one be so gullible? Oh, AP is "improving" their routing rules to allow computers to validate bookings? We sure don't want to over tax the poor call center agents. Those poor souls, having to check a table to make sure BKK-FRA isn't a Europe short haul reward, Bangkok sure does sound like the capital of Belgium right? Yeah, better have a computer do that, will benefit us all! WRONG. While we're at it, lets make the chart simpler, one mile=0.01$, much simpler for everyone to understand. That way ma and pa kettle can book their YXU-YYZ tix without having to fret about how many miles they'll need. Oh and you want to book FRA-BKK-NRT in F? Oh, that's about $15k so a smooth 1.5Mil miles, no biggie. Much easier for everyone am I right? You can even pick any day to travel, O is wide open! I wonder why?

If I hear any more crap from people spouting off how these changes will be great, or how we'd be better of with a WestJet style system, I'm going to loose it. No frikin news is great news. Anything else is BS that will cost us dearly. Mise well blow my miles before the 29th...

http://youtu.be/eLxphQsolAA

Last edited by Skyborne Flyer; Oct 27, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.