Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B747-437B
Guide to JNB (Oliver R. Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg, Republic of South Africa)

Welcome to the guide to JNB.

If your have any further questions that have not been answered after reading through, please do not hesitate to ask.

Bear in mind that the minimum connection times given below are the shortest connections allowed for tickets on a single PNR. It would be advisable to leave more time than this, particularly if you are arriving during the busy morning period. If you are travelling on two separate PNRs, add on at least an extra hour to the MCTs to allow for whatever delays the Travel Gods may throw at you.

Do note that procedures can change so this guide may not be accurate. If you notice anything has changed or there are any errors, just let me know.

International-Domestic Connection

Minimum connection time: 90 minutes

Once you have deplaned, simply follow the crowd to the immigration hall.
After going through passport control, you will need to collect your luggage and pass through customs irrespective of whether your bags have been tagged through to your final destination.
Exit into the public area and proceed up to departures level by way of the escalators which are opposite and to the left. The escalator can take trolleys.
If your bags have already been tagged through to your destination and you have your boarding passes for the onward domestic flight, you can use fast bag drop.
Otherwise you will need to check-in as normal.
Alternatively, you can use the baggage re-check desks on the left before exiting to the public area (NOTE : These are permanently closed now - Oct 2022).
If you would prefer to avoid the porters and taxi touts in the arrivals halls, there are escalators to the left of these desks which will take you to level 1. From there you will need to go up one more level to reach domestic departures. (NOTE : These escalators are out of service now - Oct 2022).

The domestic terminal is designated as a separate terminal (Terminal B) but do not be confused by this. All the terminals at JNB are under one roof so you barely notice that you are transferring between them.

Domestic-International Connection

If you can interline baggage, you can check it through from your initial departure point to your international destination. Once you land at JNB walk out to exit (ignore signs to go downstairs to baggage reclaim), keep walking through the shops/past the food court, around the atrium and there is a security/emigration point on your front right.

Please see post #106 for an illustrated guide.
[although there is no need to go up the moving walkway and then back down again - just come out of the domestic exit and keep walking straight on that level, which will bring you to the security/emigration point]

International-International Connection

Minimum connection time: 60 minutes

This is where things become a little more tricky.

If you arrive at a jetway, you will see a corridor heading towards International Transfers on the left just before the escalators down to passport control.
If you arrive at a remote stand and are bussed to the terminal, you will see the escalators on the left heading up to International Transfers as you enter the building.
Both these paths are well signposted and there is usually a staff member shouting out "International transit" and waving a sign to direct passengers.
When you go down the corridor, there is a transit immigration point before the transfer desks. Typically the wait here is 1-3 minutes, very much quicker than 'normal' immigration.
Your passport will be stamped with a "TRANSIT" stamp here even though you do not enter the country, and you must ensure that you have the required blank pages otherwise you may not be permitted to continue your transit and instead sent back to your originating point.

A few meters beyond the immigration checkpoint is the main transit information area which have desks for all the international airlines and handling agents.
If your bags have already been tagged through to your final destination, ensure that you give your connecting airline the tag numbers at this time so that they can verify them in their system.
If the tag numbers are not re-verified, they will not be loaded without manual intervention. This is not required if connecting from SAA to SAA flights however.

If your bags have not been tagged through, you will need to find a member of staff in International Transfers from your arriving airline.
Ask them to get one of their baggage services staff to pull your bags off the belt manually and coordinate with staff from your onward airline to retag them to your final destination.

This is a rather convoluted process and can take a long time.

Therefore, if your bags cannot be tagged all the way through, it is advisable to pass through immigration, collect your bags at baggage reclaim and clear customs.
After you clear customs but before you exit to the public area (the exit is a set of sliding doors on your right), you will see a series of baggage re-check desks on your left.
Proceed to these desks since they often have smaller queues and have your bags re-tagged.
Then head up the escalators to your left (do not exit the main doors into the public area) which emerge on the departures level.
Turn right when facing the Vodacom store and the departures security checkpoint is right in front of you.

You can do the entire transit and enter/exit South Africa in less than 5 minutes if your bags come out quickly.

If time permits, the safest option is to clear customs and re-check your bags as described above rather than rely on the interlining system at JNB.

Have a look at post #9 of this thread for pictures.

Originally posted by Ambassador BA304.

Luggage storage

This is taken from the whyjoburg.com web site (April 2016):

BagPort South Africa, the original company that provided a luggage storage service at OR Tambo International Airport, has changed its name.

It now operates as Ateck - from the same premises down the escalators at the main exit of Terminal A arrivals, on Basement Level 1, going towards the Parkade 2 (South).

Costs are : (NB : CASH ONLY! No Cards Accepted.)
0-5 hours: R70.00
6-12 hours: R80.00
12-24 hours: R90.00
24 hours or more: R90.00 per day.

Open 24 hours, every day of the year.

Contact details :
Tel : +27 (11) 390 2689
http://www.a-teck.co.za/or-tambo-airport-store-teck/
Print Wikipost

JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Question BidAir Meet & Greet - O.R. Tambo JoBurg Airport

Has anyone used BidAir for Meeting and Greet in the past or lately? After 24 hours plus of flying from the US/London in August to Tambo and catching a plane to Maun, Botswana straight away I'm sure my head/thinking will not 100 percent clear. I think it might be wise for me to hire a meet/greet service to get me from Point A to Point B.

Is BidAir reliable or does anyone know of any company that provides the service?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 4:43 am

Programs: British Airways Silver
Havent used them but they should be fine.
However, the airport is pretty easy to navigate and depending on the connection time you should be more than fine on your own. The Maun flights always depart from the same set of gates (A19 -30) and at best they only start boarding with 30 minutes to go.

Enjoy Maun, Very special place!
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:27 am

Thank you Weekend for replying. I'm still mulling over using a M&G service. Always worrying that my BA flight may arrive late and certainly don't want to miss my connecting flight on SAA as they only have one daily flight to Maun. My safari doesn't leave until two days later so that is a plus if anything does go astray.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:02 am

Just Checking

Am arriving JNB from Lilongwe with SAA, then transit and depart with Emirates to DXB. Reading the thread it seems it would be best to collect luggage go through immigration, and check in at Emirates desk...depositing luggage. Back through customs/immigration.
Is this correct? I have plenty of time between arrival and departure.
Thanks
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:26 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Maraluvr

From reading upthread, you're on the early BA flight with an 11 something SAA departure to Maun - that really gives you enormous amounts of time for a very simple intl-intl connection.

I quite frequently land off that flight, clear immigration, walk the entire length of the terminal to domestic departures, grab a quick coffee and shower in the lounge and then take the 9am Durban flight.

Don't sweat it, and don't bother with the meet & greet, you'll be fine.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think if you inbound is so late that you won't make an INT-INT connection then the M&G service isn't really going to be much help anyway.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 9:08 am

Thanks for your replies Stewie and Steve - appreciate your input. The one and only time I flew into Tambo was way back in 2002 and I just remember that we didn't land airside and had to walk to the terminal and it certainly wasn't on an A380 with loads of peeps. I have been flying into Nairobi for the last 15 years with no transfer and can get around with my eyes closed . I have a few weeks to make the decision of a M&G and definitely understand that if the flight is way late they won't be able to help that much. I will just have to believe it will all work out in the end one way or the other
Old Jul 2, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA *G, Accor/Sofitel Gold, InterContinental Platinum
2 Hour Int-Int Transit

From everything I read here we should be good with a 2 hour transit time at JNB. Can other recent travelers please confirm?

Arriving from GRU (SA223) departing to WDH (SA74).

Since its SAA to SAA connection, we should be able to check luggage all the way through.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Last edited by RockyMntFlyer; Jul 2, 2016 at 12:12 pm
Old Jul 3, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by RockyMntFlyer
From everything I read here we should be good with a 2 hour transit time at JNB. Can other recent travelers please confirm?

Arriving from GRU (SA223) departing to WDH (SA74).

Since its SAA to SAA connection, we should be able to check luggage all the way through.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Yes, you will have enough time. Your luggage should be interlined all the way through. When you walk towards Immigration, look for the "International Transit" signs. Follow the signs, (or ask a staff member), and you will eventually get to the departures section.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
It seems that the Biometric system that was supposed to be implemented some time ago, went live last week. When a friend checked in for her Virgin flight on Saturday, she was told to go straight to immigration, since they were having teething issues.

Just saw today that delays of up to two hours were being experienced due to the "teething" problems.

There are reports that some people have missed their flights causing all kinds of issues.

As an aside, saw a local radio DJ Tweet his frustration at after landing, they taxied to the appropriate gate, then they were told that the "key was missing, so they could not open the door to the jetway". They had to wait over 30 minutes before someone "Senior" was located who could open the door, so that PAX could disembark............
Old Jul 4, 2016, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Department of Home Affairs has managed to blame the passengers:

"The amount of time required to capture biometrics from passengers was longer than expected compared to the normal processing of a passenger through immigration without biometrics. This longer time caused the backup and delays.

Delays experienced on Friday, 1 July, and over the weekend, were due to the fact that passengers needed to get used to the operational functionalities of the biometric data capturing systems.

You can't not have biometrics, and with the rolling out of these stations at the airport, the DHA is trying to make travel more efficient and convenient to travellers
"

Source

No comment!

Johan
Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:35 pm

Always blame someone else.....Guess they didn't expect a boat load of people going thru the airport. Wonders never cease. Hope it's fixed in early July for my arrival....I may have to say DYKWIA...LOL!
Old Jul 9, 2016, 3:03 am

Programs: British Airways Silver
Originally Posted by roadwarrier
As an aside, saw a local radio DJ Tweet his frustration at after landing, they taxied to the appropriate gate, then they were told that the "key was missing, so they could not open the door to the jetway". They had to wait over 30 minutes before someone "Senior" was located who could open the door, so that PAX could disembark............

I havent had this before but they have sent the wrong size bus once or twice and once they completely forgot to organise a bus. But the worst was a few weeks ago where the bus driver got lost on the way to the arrival gates. Made a few U turns till we eventually got to the right place.

I am heading through JNB customs on Monday morning so should be interesting with biometrics and all
Old Jul 9, 2016, 9:11 am

Yikes, that doesn't sound good about the buses! Hope you will report back about customs, etc.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Maraluvr
Always blame someone else.
They are still at it:

" This was also impacted by higher than expected traveller volumes over the school holidays, travellers not checking in on time and insufficient communication to travellers on what to expect before travelling, according to Gigaba."

"As a result the department says it decommissioned biometric capability on some systems"

Apparently only the trasit desks at JNB currently use the new biometric system.

But hey, they have a solution!

"The DHA says it will be airing a short introductory on biometrics prior to landing in the country, and informing travellers to proceed directly to immigration after check in."

Source

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.