Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free upgrade experience as A3*G

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Today I flew AMS-ZRH-ATH on Swiss. The night before I noticed that I had been upgraded to business on the ZRH-ATH sector, which was awesome because it was operated by a 777! That meant one of these cool throne seats. Apparently all 350+ seats had been sold on this flight, and overbooked as well..all 60 seats in business were taken.

Additionally, at the gate, I was also upgraded for AMS-ZRH. It's a short flight and the product is nothing to write home about..but the empty middle seat was nice.

Kind of surprising to receive two upgrades in one day; which were also the first upgrades I ever received based on my M+B status
Wow, how lucky! How was the business class service - any different to the one on their A320/321s? I've flown LX business once intra-Europe, and it was nice, but not as good as A3.

So do they have 777s on the ATH route because it's the summer (accommodating more tourists)? I've booked 2 flights in the coming months between Germany and ATH, and both are on LH. Now I wish I had picked LX :P
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:46 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Lucky indeed! They are doing these flights primarily for the crews to get used with the aircraft - Swiss used to have an all Airbus fleet. The particular aircraft I flew on was delivered by Boeing July 22, one week ago

The service was identical - same meal (eggs Benedict) and we didn't get noise canceling headphones like you would long-haul. The real benefit was in the seat which could go fully flat (and has a massage function).

If you search for flights I am pretty sure they will do more of these to ATH, for sure on August 21 as I am booked on that one as well.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Lucky indeed! They are doing these flights primarily for the crews to get used with the aircraft - Swiss used to have an all Airbus fleet. The particular aircraft I flew on was delivered by Boeing July 22, one week ago

The service was identical - same meal (eggs Benedict) and we didn't get noise canceling headphones like you would long-haul. The real benefit was in the seat which could go fully flat (and has a massage function).

If you search for flights I am pretty sure they will do more of these to ATH, for sure on August 21 as I am booked on that one as well.
Daaaaaaaaaaaamn! I recently booked flights Germany-ATH (in Aug. and in Oct.) and chose LH because it was slightly more convenient (and a bit cheaper too). Never thought to check the aircraft - I assumed it was the usual deal from ZRH.

Stupid question, but they obviously had only economy and business, not first, right?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by blackball
Stupid question, but they obviously had only economy and business, not first, right?
No, the 777 has also a First Class cabin. It will either used for C-cl passengers (if flight fully booked) or then they use it as crew rest...

Service is very poor on LX. Choice between beef or the same beef... On A3 on the same route, you can chose between 3 meals. And the flight attendants were not so grumpy as on LX...
Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by blackball
Daaaaaaaaaaaamn! I recently booked flights Germany-ATH (in Aug. and in Oct.) and chose LH because it was slightly more convenient (and a bit cheaper too). Never thought to check the aircraft - I assumed it was the usual deal from ZRH.

I noticed it by chance and booked one flight specifically in business to try out the new product. Then I booked yesterday's flight (in Eco) and it was just a coincidence that it was operated by an 777 too. I figured I'd get to try both economy and business that way, but the economy flight Also ended up to be business due to overbooking.

Not a stupid question because I searched for the same The aircraft does have first class, and it was used primarily for M&M frequent flyers. I noticed it also had some elderly couples which I do not expect would be frequent fliers..so maybe they do in fact upgrade paid business pax to first before star golds. With some luck I'll get that next time as I actually paid for business then.

The value of these flights is huge; in fact I booked the economy sectors (AMS-ATH) for 79 euro each way; and an upgrade to business (p class) was only 68 euro additional. Which also gives about 1.5K extra miles

Last edited by Xandrios; Aug 1, 2016 at 3:13 am
Old Aug 8, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: A3*G/KFEG
My second flight on EVA air, and was upgraded from Y to Premium Y today. Not bad for a 2000 mile flight.

I was on a Q class booking (50% miles accrual) and was upgraded at OLCI, oversold Y.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:13 pm

I recieved an opup today on VIE-AMS to business. From the 4 LX/OS segments on this trip 3 were upgraded. Gotta love overbooked holiday flights!
Old Aug 18, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: A3*G, IB
This week BCN-FRA LH Y (S) --> C
Old Aug 21, 2016, 1:34 am

Programs: A3*G/KFEG
Op up at OLCI again on BR. Y to Premium Y, TPE to SIN.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 5:07 am

Flew Swiss 777 to Athens again today. Booked in business and at olci I received the upgrade to First at seat 1A.

Fast forward to the boarding process; scanner beeped and a receipt was printed saying that I am now in 4A. What the hell?

Turns out I was the only passenger that had selected the First cabin and they found it easier to just move me back to business. Still a great flight, but after first getting the boarding pass for the 1A 'suite' a bit of a downer...
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:22 am

Well, it was not actually an "upgrade" to F: you would have gotten the C service had they let you sit up front
Old Aug 21, 2016, 1:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Had IROPS on AC so I was rerouted through YUL. YEG-YUL got an op up
Old Aug 21, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Fast forward to the boarding process; scanner beeped and a receipt was printed saying that I am now in 4A. What the hell?
Same happened to me on a flight ATH-ZRH. Had pre-selected seat 2G, online check-in was blocked and was re-seated back of the curtain...

F-cl was used as crew rest on this flight. I've the impression, that LX just uses this training flights with the 77W for their crew, as slow and bad the service on this flight was. They don't even distribute ear-speakers, as they would also not have served on an A320 EU flight... Maybe they don't know, what potential they would have to promote their C and F products on such flights...

@ Xandrios: Please file a complaint with LX. Still waiting for a response since 6 weeks
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:48 pm

I had a pretty good luck during my vacation for myself and +1 (who is a LH FT -- i.e., *S)

ZRH-FRA on LX from Y to C
FRA-IAD on LH from Y to Y+
MIA-EWR on UA from Y to F
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Same here, seems that August is good month to travel with status

ARN-LAX on SK from Y to Y+
LAX-ARN on SK from Y to Y+
LAX-HNL on UA from Y- to Y
HNL-LAX on UA from Y- to Y (maybe this is Star Gold thing as I was already able to select seats in online-checkin for both legs on UA, it was also award ticket..)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.