Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Snacky
This is the WIKI for the Aegean Airlines (A3) / Olympic Air (OA) Miles+Bonus frequent flier program. Please read all about it on their homepage: http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonus/

Please note that A3 is a Star Alliance (*A) member airline, OA is not.

If you have questions not answered in this WIKI or you can't find an answer on the A3 Miles+Bonus website, ask in the thread below.

Tiers (clicking on them takes you directly to the respective tier's Miles+Bonus benefits webpage)
BLUE
SILVER
GOLD

Miles
Miles are classified into two categories, tier miles and award miles.

Tier Miles determine the tier of the program to which the member belongs. These are miles that each member collects from qualifying flights with A3, OA and *A airlines in order to move through the membership levels to Silver and Gold, and then to retain those levels. They expire at the end of each membership year - any 'excess' miles beyond the Tier qualification do not carry forward into the following year.

Award Miles are miles that every member collects in order to redeem for redemption flights or other products and services. Award miles are accumulated from flights with A3, OA, *A member airlines and products and services of the program partners and do not expire provided the account remains active by crediting flights.

Tier advancement
Tier advancement is constantly evaluated and measured along a rolling 12 month period. This means your account will be upgraded as soon as you hit the requirements at any time, counting backwards within the last 12 months. A few days after a new tier threshold has been reached, there will be a "Card upgrade" transaction in your transactions overview.

SILVER
The BLUE member that accumulates 12K tier miles, including at least 2 flights with A3/OA, or a total of 24K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within 12 consecutive months, will be upgraded to the SILVER tier.

Upon the upgrade to the SILVER tier, the required 12K tier miles+2xA3/OA flights or 24K tier miles will be consumed instantly and the year start/end date will be reset. Any tier miles beyond the threshold will remain in your account for 12 months, and will therefore count towards any subsequent upgrade to Gold. All segments flown in qualifying for Silver will be reset to zero, so a further 4 segments will be required to qualify for Gold under the combined segment/miles option.

NOTE: In a scenario where you accumulate the required A3/OA flights some time after you already have accumulated more tier miles than what's required in the combined tier miles plus flights threshold (12K), but have not yet accumulated enough tier miles to reach the tier miles only threshold (24K), you will be instantly upgraded to the SILVER tier and your year start/end date for your subsequent GOLD upgrade will reset, but also be set to less than 1 year ahead in time (in effect the date of the first possible opportunity to reach the upgrade threshold for the GOLD tier), the date depending on when the last consumed tier miles for the SILVER upgrade were originally accumulated. A lesser amount of tier miles, equal to the difference between the remaining leftover tier miles and the qualification thresholds, will then be required for upgrade to the GOLD tier. BUT, be aware that tier miles expire after 12 months, and therefore expiration of older tier miles will continue all through your new membership year, meaning that in this scenario the "until"-date and qualification thresholds will change as time passes and more tier miles expire. Therefore, you'd be wise to check your account statement continuously and your transactions records rather accurately, to follow on which dates you previously accumulated your tier miles, AND when they expire, to plan your subsequent upgrade to the GOLD tier in the most effective way.

GOLD
The SILVER member that accumulates 24K tier miles, including at least 4 flights with A3/OA, or a total of 48K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within 12 consecutive months from the last tier upgrade/retention, will be upgraded to the GOLD tier.

Tier retention
Tier retention is only evaluated at the end of each membership year (on the "until"-date in your account statement).

SILVER
The SILVER member that accumulates 8K tier miles including 2 flights with A3/OA or a total of 16K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within a period of 12 consecutive months from the last tier upgrade/retention, his/her status will be automatically extended for 1 year. If the member does not manage to accumulate the above within the determined time, then he/she will be downgraded to the BLUE tier.

GOLD
The GOLD member that accumulates 12K tier miles including 4 flights with A3/OA or a total of 24K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within a period of 12 consecutive months from the last tier upgrade/retention, his/her status will be automatically extended for 1 year. If the member does not manage to accumulate the above within the determined time, then he/she will be downgraded to the SILVER tier.

On reaching the retention criteria, the member's year-end date will not change, and the member's retained status will extend for 1 year from the year-end date (e.g. if the year-end date was 24th November 2015, the member's status will extend to 24th November 2016). The extension will however not be shown in your online statement until your status has been renewed (at the year-end date or immediately after). Also note that for retentions, any leftover tier miles exceeding the retention thresholds will be expired by the next time retention is evaluated, so thereby there are effectively no rollover tier miles helping you retain your status more easily.

Qualifying flights
For the purposes of accumulating either two (for SILVER) or four (for GOLD) A3/OA flights, the metal travelled on counts. So if A3 marketed, but another *A airline (or non-*A partner airline) operated the flight(s), they do not count. If another *A airline (or non-*A partner airline) marketed, but A3/OA operated the flight(s), they should count (might be subject to the online retro-claim procedure). Also note that there are some non-earning fare buckets on OA flights; these are not believed to count (if this happens to be the case, someone is bound to learn this the hard way; we'd very much like to hear your reports).

Tier and Award miles purchase (new)
SILVER and GOLD members may top up their accounts by purchasing additional tier miles in order to upgrade to the next tier or to retain their current tier. The maximum amount of tier miles that can be bought, are 1000 for SILVER members and 2000 for GOLD members (in increments of 500) priced at 10 eurocents/mile (€50 per 500 tier miles).
Award miles are also available for purchase, even for BLUE members. The maximum amount of award miles that can be bought is 50000 (in increments of 1000), priced at 2.5 eurocents/mile (€25 per 1000 award miles).
NOTE:All miles purchases are credited to your account immediately and are non-refundable.

Together Account (new)
SILVER and GOLD members may activate a together account and add up to 5 members (family, friends etc.), regardless of their tier. All the award miles earned by each member will then be automatically transferred to the together account, letting the head member of the together account make full use of the collective award miles balance for redemptions. There is also a setting in "Manage my together account" where you can allow or disallow members to see the transactions in the together account and to redeem miles on their own. Please note that all the members of the together account will still continue to receive their tier miles to their own personal accounts, in order to be eligible for status tier upgrade or retention.

Happy Miles (new)
Happy Miles is a unique service that allows you to spend up to 30% fewer miles on specific flights throughout the Aegean Airlines and Olympic Air network. Simply login to Miles+Bonus, select “Request award ticket” from the navigation list of your account menu and pick a happy mile flight. Keep checking in to find out about new destinations to come as happy miles flights are updated every three months.
Print Wikipost

New Program Details for M&B

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:11 am

Programs: A3 *G, BAEC Bronze, LH *S
Originally Posted by o mikros
Perhaps I'm missing something, but if I understand your situation correctly you already got things "pushed forward" by a day. Originally, the ATH-PAS segment was your 4th, so that triggered the silver --> gold upgrade.

After the BRU-ATH segment posted, it seems that there was a readjustment, giving you gold as of that segment. I read the data this way because you already have 400 tier miles towards the new year, but your transactions only show 200 from the ATH-PAS and 200 more from the PAS-ATH flights.

If they had kept the ATH-PAS segment as #4, you would only have 200 miles (from the PAS-ATH return segment) towards your new year.

Does that make sense? Actually, you should have a miniscule advantage, as you have one extra day to requalify for gold. Normally your program year would start the day you upgraded (in this case 15/9) and run for one year (to 14/9). However, since you "qualified" on the 16th and then got readjusted to the 15th, you have over 365 days to make the cut.

Happy flying!
Your thinking makes absolute sense and I agree in principle. The only detail that is bugging me is that, when the upgrade occurred, the remaining miles for requalification were 11800 even before BRU-ATH was posted, as far as I can remember (I am 99% sure it was like that...). So I am guessing that if I can push back the year by 1 day, I may be able to gain 1307 miles for next year.

I just spoke with an A3 agent and she claimed that things are as they should be, but she wasn't too convincing... At some point she even mentioned that my wife currently has ~6000 tier miles (this is actually the correct amount of the left-over miles...) which intrigued me even further...

In the end it will not matter too much, as I expect that my wife will re-qualify quite easily. I do need to satisfy my curiosity however!
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:20 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by sihctr
Your thinking makes absolute sense and I agree in principle. The only detail that is bugging me is that, when the upgrade occurred, the remaining miles for requalification were 11800 even before BRU-ATH was posted, as far as I can remember (I am 99% sure it was like that...). So I am guessing that if I can push back the year by 1 day, I may be able to gain 1307 miles for next year.

I just spoke with an A3 agent and she claimed that things are as they should be, but she wasn't too convincing... At some point she even mentioned that my wife currently has ~6000 tier miles (this is actually the correct amount of the left-over miles...) which intrigued me even further...

In the end it will not matter too much, as I expect that my wife will re-qualify quite easily. I do need to satisfy my curiosity however!
Yes, that is exactly correct. Originally, the system thought that your ATH-PAS was the qualifying segment, so it bumped to gold and reset the tier miles needed to 12k and segments needed to four. You then flew PAS-ATH, and your requirements went down to 11800 and 3 segments.

After your BRU-ATH posted, the system realized that that segment was your qualifying point for gold. It readjusted your qualification to prior to the ATH-PAS segment, and counted both ATH-PAS-ATH towards your new program year. Result: 11600 and 2 segments needed for re-upping to gold.

For the record, I don't think anyone has had the miles from the final qualifying segment post to the new year. You aren't gold until you complete that 4th segment, so the 1307 miles were accrued before your status upgrade.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by sihctr
Anyway, the only open question remaining has to do with the flight BRU-ATH. Normally the card upgrade date should be one day earlier, so I am hoping that the miles of the specific flight might count towards the new year. If they don't, that's fine, but my OCD won't be satisfied until I figure out exactly how things work!

I will keep you updated after my phone-call to A3.
You wrote that you had 3 sectors and "excess" Level Miles prior to the BRU-ATH flight.

Hence BRU-ATH was your 4th segment, pushed you to Gold, and its Level Miles therefore play no part in your qualification. (Think of them as belonging rightfully to your old "Silver" year).

When you are Gold, you no longer are subject to the rolling 12 month period. You instead have a fixed 12 month period to requalify (which never changes as long as you keep requalifying, your "Gold" year remains fixed until ou lose Gold again). As such, to retain Gold, your task is to accumulate the required number of Level Miles in the 12 month period commencing after the flight that got you Gold.

If you qualify by Tier Miles, they do leave you with the excess from that very flight. If you qualify by Sectors, you don't get the "excess" as this was not the mechanism used to attain status.

It looks like everything is as it should be. You already have 2 new sectors and 400 Tier Miles in the first fixed Gold Year. You have no entitlement to the 1307 miles. These miles could only have helped you gain status from Silver to Gold, but it was the mere fact of the flight that got you Gold. You already derived the full effect of this flight in your "Silver" year. It therefore cannot count as a separate sector in the "Gold" year, nor can you use its Tier Miles in this different year.

You used BRU-ATH to get Silver-> Gold; you cannot use it again to help get Gold->Gold
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:58 pm

Codeshares

Hey everyone,
I am glad I found this thread to post my questions that might seem trivial

So I am a new A3 miles&bonus member after years with Egyptair plus, i recently booked a flight from HBE-AMS which was accredited to my account however the last segment (ATH-HBE) was not as it is operated by egyptair.
I am confused if it is late or the miles wont be added at all, my booking class was W on A3 booking confirmation.
Are there any clear rules regarding that(I couldnt find anything on their website)?

Also, I am trying to book a similar route CAI-AMS 15/1/2017 and return on the 11/2/2017 and even though there are direct flights between CAI-ATH and ATH-AMS for the return flight (available to book on kayak, expedia and all other sites) it does not show up on A3 website...any reason why?

Thank you
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by nseddik
Hey everyone,
I am glad I found this thread to post my questions that might seem trivial

So I am a new A3 miles&bonus member after years with Egyptair plus, i recently booked a flight from HBE-AMS which was accredited to my account however the last segment (ATH-HBE) was not as it is operated by egyptair.
I am confused if it is late or the miles wont be added at all, my booking class was W on A3 booking confirmation.
Are there any clear rules regarding that(I couldnt find anything on their website)?
Hello nseddik, and welcome to FlyerTalk!

Codeshares are always hard to predict, since the fare class that you see on the marketing carrier (A3) doesn't always equate to the class on the operating carrier (MS). Assuming that the fare class did map exactly (i.e. it was W on MS as well), and given that the operating carrier is always the parameter that defines how many miles you earn, you can check this table to see how many miles you should be credited with. As you can see on that list, MS W fares are ineligible for mileage accrual on A3 -- sorry about that.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, I am trying to book a similar route CAI-AMS 15/1/2017 and return on the 11/2/2017 and even though there are direct flights between CAI-ATH and ATH-AMS for the return flight (available to book on kayak, expedia and all other sites) it does not show up on A3 website...any reason why?
Because the A3 booking engine clearly deems the 12.5 hour travel time required for your direct AMS-ATH followed by ATH-CAI to be undesirable, and instead offers quicker routings requiring a second connection.

The direct A3 AMS-ATH does not arrive in time for the first of the two ATH-CAI flights that day (the one operated by MS).

Code:
FLIGHT SCHEDULE FOR Feb. 11, 2017
Direct Flights:
16:00 Athens (ATH) 17:50 Cairo (CAI) 3 EgyptAir MS 748 Non-stop Boeing 737-800 (738) 1:50 
23:50 Athens (ATH) 01:50 Cairo (CAI) 3 Aegean Airlines A3 930 Non-stop Airbus A320 (320) 2:00 
The flight arrives 1 day after departure.

Direct Codeshare Flights:
16:00 Athens (ATH) 17:50 Cairo (CAI) 3 Aegean Airlines A3 1302 Non-stop Boeing 737-800 (738) 1:50 
Codeshare flight, operated by EgyptAir.(MS 748)
You are NOT restricted to booking on the A3 website - if you really want to book that long layover itinerary, you can find it on any OTA (for example, Expedia as illustrated)
Attached Images  
Old Oct 8, 2016, 5:00 am

Thank you both,
If I do not credit the miles to my A3 membership, can I do to my old MS plus?
Also I will probably book the same route and have to deal with codeshare flights .. is there anyways I can figure out the booking class on the other airline before booking?
Old Oct 8, 2016, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

..which brings the thread totally off topic.

You are free to credit the miles wherever you like. To see the booking classes before booking click on the fare rules link or use an online travel agent (such as Expedia as mentioned above) that shows the booking class.

You cannot determine in advance what class a codeshare will be considered as by your *A programme.

Why not just book the direct Egyptair flight to/from Amsterdam?
Old Oct 8, 2016, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
..which brings the thread totally off topic.

You are free to credit the miles wherever you like. To see the booking classes before booking click on the fare rules link or use an online travel agent (such as Expedia as mentioned above) that shows the booking class.

You cannot determine in advance what class a codeshare will be considered as by your *A programme.

Why not just book the direct Egyptair flight to/from Amsterdam?
Sorry for drifting off topic.. it is just that I only have till march to upgrade to silver following the 12 months rules and only 3800 mile to go, so I am going to book it all Aegean so I can make it to silver after all.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 2:01 am

Programs: A3*G/KFEG
Thank you both,
If I do not credit the miles to my A3 membership, can I do to my old MS plus?
Also I will probably book the same route and have to deal with codeshare flights .. is there anyways I can figure out the booking class on the other airline before booking?
You can call the airlines involved to double check.

I recently flew an SQ operated BR codeshare on a BR Y class booking. I called BR and was told that it will be mapped to SQ as a Y class booking. The miles credited, but on a W class booking instead. Thankfully they both had the same earning rate. I think it's still a bit tricky, so I would check with both ticketing carrier and operating carrier going forward.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by razorblade
You can call the airlines involved to double check.

I recently flew an SQ operated BR codeshare on a BR Y class booking. I called BR and was told that it will be mapped to SQ as a Y class booking. The miles credited, but on a W class booking instead. Thankfully they both had the same earning rate. I think it's still a bit tricky, so I would check with both ticketing carrier and operating carrier going forward.
In other words, your suggestion to call the airline the miles are supposed to be credited to simply doesn't work...
Old Oct 9, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: A3*G/KFEG
Originally Posted by KLouis
In other words, your suggestion to call the airline the miles are supposed to be credited to simply doesn't work...
Well I made the mistake of checking only with the ticketing carrier, I don't know if the operating carrier will provide the correct answer or not.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: Miles&Bonus
Did I understand something wrongly or did they change the baggage allowance terms? Do I need to fly now with two different star alliance airlines in order to get my additional 20kg?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
On the phone to Aegean call centre, it now tells you what the expected waiting time is.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andr Eas
Did I understand something wrongly or did they change the baggage allowance terms? Do I need to fly now with two different star alliance airlines in order to get my additional 20kg?

You have misunderstood something.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Nov 1, 2016 at 4:58 pm Reason: Add quote for continuity/context following post move

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.