Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Comfy/Stylish flats for walking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comfy/Stylish flats for walking?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2009, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Ever since those women of the FLDS polygamist cult waxed poetically about their love of skechers when interviewed on CNN after their kids were taken into protective custody by the state of Texas, that brand lost my interest.

LATTER-DAY RESTRAINTS
RAIDING THE CLOSET FOR LATEST CULT FASHIONS

PUFFY polyester dresses, sporty Skechers sneakers, sky-high bangs (circa the late '80s) and a unibrow might just be your ticket to heaven. Who knew?

Fashion and grooming certainly aren't the biggest concerns to emerge from the Yearning for Zion (YFZ) Ranch since federal officials began their raid of the Texas compound in early April.

But it's become just about impossible to ignore the superficial. Cult members' elaborate hairstyles, voluminous tailored gowns and gentle, pastoral demeanor have riveted the nation.
Unacceptable clothing would incur a swift crackdown from within the community.

"If I were to wear a skirt that someone thought was too short, since we were all related, they'd have the right to correct that because everybody had the right to keep the family in line," says Jessop, speaking to The Post by phone from her home in Utah. "Right away, my father would get five phone calls."

Every day, FLDS women don between four and five under-layers - long prophet-mandated underwear, bra, leggings and slips, she says.

Despite the scorching summer heat in Eldorado, Texas, where the current headquarters are, and Colorado City, where the Yearning for Zion sect was previously situated, the handmade dresses are constructed of synthetic polyester or rayon.
On their feet? Skechers, the mall staple.

"They still wear Skechers," Jessop says.

"Skechers are a big thing down there - the lace-up ones can look pretty nice with those dresses. And they're a sports shoe. You're on your feet all day long - a lot of times you're working in the garden, cooking in the kitchen, cleaning the house. It's not a job where you're sitting down."
http://www.nypost.com/seven/04222008...621.htm?page=0
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:11 am

Lost another potential Skechers fan

Yeah, I think I just lost my interest in Skechers, too.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 1:49 pm

I have a few pairs of Tory Burch Flats, problem is they offer no support. If you can afford it go for a pair of Lanvin flats. I have brought mine on 2 trips to Europe and after walking for miles, my feet feel fine.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:52 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by Analise
Ever since those women of the FLDS polygamist cult waxed poetically about their love of skechers when interviewed on CNN after their kids were taken into protective custody by the state of Texas, that brand lost my interest.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04222008...621.htm?page=0
Hey, those women probably know a thing or two about comfortable shoes. However, I don't know if they wear Skechers or not, and I really don't care. It is my understanding that this thread was about recommendations for comfy/stylish flats for walking. My recommendation stands.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Chelrene
If you can afford it go for a pair of Lanvin flats. I have brought mine on 2 trips to Europe and after walking for miles, my feet feel fine.

Holy Crow, You didn't say which ones you have but there's not a pair of Lanvin flats under $530.00.

I'm patiently awaiting SanDiego1K's shoe report on her Arcopedico
N17s.

Welcome to FT, Chelrene.

Bobette
Old Mar 1, 2009, 6:20 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I just bought DKNY's Addie for travel. It has the rubber sole for comfort when walking a lot and a slight wedge heel (also rubber), which I like.

http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpa...y+addie&offer=
Old Mar 1, 2009, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by l'etoile
I just bought DKNY's Addie for travel. It has the rubber sole for comfort when walking a lot and a slight wedge heel (also rubber), which I like.

http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpa...y+addie&offer=
I recently bought a similar Circa Joan and David shoe in a "pewter" snakeskin with a black rubber wedge heel (can't find a picture) that's very comfortable, although a bit too easy to slip out of when I have tights on.

I may have to go check out Geox based on the recommendations in this thread--I saw a very cute black patent ballet flat of theirs recently.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Calcifer
I may have to go check out Geox based on the recommendations in this thread--I saw a very cute black patent ballet flat of theirs recently.
That's the Stefany style, I believe - I have it in black patent. It took me awhile to get used to the squared off toe, and the lining is a little more slippery than the others I have, but I like the shoes and they get a lot of compliments. I like wearing it with dark bootcut jeans or an A line skirt in summer.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by exbayern
That's the Stefany style, I believe - I have it in black patent. It took me awhile to get used to the squared off toe, and the lining is a little more slippery than the others I have, but I like the shoes and they get a lot of compliments. I like wearing it with dark bootcut jeans or an A line skirt in summer.
The Stefany is cute, too, but I fell for the Lola in the black patent with the grey strap across the toe.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Calcifer
The Stefany is cute, too, but I fell for the Lola in the black patent with the grey strap across the toe.
I have to stop reading this thread. I forgot about those - was trying to ignore them as they were calling my name. Plus I am trying to ignore the ones CarolDisney1 talked about on page 1 - they come in black patent right now and I need a replacement for my plain leather ones... Well, I don't really NEED any more pairs, but they are truly my favourites right now.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA
It's hardly Skechers the company's fault that those folks like them and mentioned them in the interview. Can't see why that would influence your choice in footwear
Old Mar 3, 2009, 1:29 pm

I second the recommendation for Merrell's. I took a pair of leather clogs with me to UK in December and they were the only shoes I wore for 10 days. I walked a great deal in London and never had any issues with my feet. In the summer, I live in the Merrell mesh clogs. May not be the prettiest shoe out there, but definitely among the most comfortable.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
In the past few years I've tried to get around London (London seems to want to eat my feet right off my legs) wearing Bass, Aerosoles, Clark's and other "comfortable' shoes I could afford at the time. After ending up practically in tears one day because my feet were literally throbbing with pain...I vowed to spend money on truly comfortable shoes. Problem was, I didn't know what to buy.

Having read some of your recommendations, I think I may need to try a few. In the meantime, however, a co-worker recommended simple ol' Rockports. I bought a pair of boots (seem to need a moderate heel) and LOVE LOVE LOVE them. I made it through a three day trip last December with nary a peep from my feet. Never have I been so happy with a shoe. Worth shedding a tear over, let me tell you.

These are the kind of shoes that have such a wonderful "shock absorbing" system that you almost can't hear a sound even when walking across a concrete floor. They make flats with the shock absorbing system, too.

My feet are thrilled, and I didn't break the bank. But I think I'd like to check out a few of these really cute shoes you are all raving about, too...

(Skechers are comfortable for about an hour, then my lower back starts to hurt. Must be the flatness. But I can see where they might be very comfortable for someone who doesn't need a little height in the heel.)
Old Mar 3, 2009, 3:58 pm

Does Stylish and flats ever go together? Your in Paris!!!! The French will stop you at the boarder. Get those stelletos going and be stylish, get oogled, to hell with the pain!!!!! Your only in Paris a few times in your life. Live!
Old Mar 3, 2009, 3:59 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
On my last two trips to London I planned on wearing some Clark's black leather clogs, but they didn't work out, and I ended up going to the Nike Store on Oxford street and getting some black leather walking shoes, which worked out well. I love the Clark's clogs, which are great when it comes to the security checkpoint at the airport, but sometimes the sole seems too soft, and the lack of a back seems to cause ankle fatigue when I'm doing a lot of walking. So . . . for the last couple of trips, they've been dead weight on my feet and then in my suitcase after I bought other shoes.

One thing I need to remember for the future which might be of use to some of you . . . usually before a trip, I get a pedicure. On my most recent trips to where I was doing a lot of walking, the soles felt as though they were "burned" and very tender. I thought maybe my socks were to blame, but after I got back home it occurred to me that the day before each trip, I went in for a pedicure where the aesthetician used a gel on the soles of my feet to soften them and remove callouses. I now opt out of that part of the treatment.

I like the style of the geox stefany and lola that were shown here, but patent doesn't work for me, although I love the way it looks. Are you able to find them in leather? Also, is there any arch support or do you need to use an insole? Thanks for any info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.