Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Comfy/Stylish flats for walking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comfy/Stylish flats for walking?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:35 am

Pretty shoes for walking

I love Taryn Rose - so comfortable! I also love Hogan's walking shoes. Prada also makes a lesser expensive "sport" line that is made for walking (i know, it is Prada, how less expensive could it be) BUT they also have a 1.5" pump, an all day heel, with a very soft rubber sole. So, if you're looking for style and comfort, Prada's sport line is your best bet. And, finally, there is a small Italian shoe company called Fratelli Rosetti, not sure if they're in your town, but they have a FLEXA line that is specifically made for walking.

Originally Posted by burberrybrit
Ladies, I'm looking for some comfy but cute flats for doing lots of walking in Paris in the spring. Will the Tory Burch Reva flats do the trick? If not, can anyone recommend something? Last time I spend time walking around Paris in flats, it was NOT pretty. Those flats murdered my feet.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

More great tips. Thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2009, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by missydarlin
^ for Josef Siebel. I have a pair that I bought specifically for walking all over Paris in Oct 07 and they did me very well. I still wear them all the time. I'll be definitely looking to pick up a new pair for my Europe trip this fall.
My back doctor (I ruptured a couple of discs a few weeks ago) was also very impressed with my Josef Siebels - great shoes for back sufferers, he said.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
I bought a pair of Geox last year for my trip to Paris. Kind of a black leather driving shoe look. Very comfy and worked great, but the real trick is how they fit on YOUR feet. Comfort beats cute IMHO!
I have about 14 pairs of GEOX. In summer I wear my loafers or ballet flats with those sockette things - I've tried a variety and find the HUE ones best. They tend not to slip around. There are a large number of styles from the driving moc to the various buckled ones to ballet flats to wedge heels.

GEOX are actually usually cheaper in America. Find a style you like and order online; there are great sales and you can get them for 1/3 to 1/2 off what we are charged in Europe.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 6:05 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
I was pleasantly surprised with a pair of Skechers Mary Janes in black leather. They seem to be a hybrid of a Mary Jane, a ballet flat, and a bike shoe. The sole has a bit of spring to it, there's a little bit of arch support (could be better, but most ballet flats are just that--flat and unforgiving). I ran around in them the last time I was in London and my feet were thankful that I did.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I succumbed and bought Arcopedico N17's this week. I have a slightly bulkier Arcopedico shoe that has been my workhorse shoe for all trips when I need a closed toe walking shoe. I wanted a slightly lighter/dressier shoe for a trip where I've got an overnight stop in winter weather, but much of the time will be in the tropics. I'm really pleased with it.

The shoe only comes in European sizes, so the equivalent to 5/6/7/8/9 etc. Generally I would want a half size. I found the shoe to run a bit large, so the size down worked best for me.
These shoes look very comfortable in the picture. Are the soles strong enough to withstand the cobblestone streets in Paris? Last year I brought along a pair of shoes that had soles that were really too thin.
They were doable but I'm looking for a pair of flats for walking with sturdier soles.

Bobette
Old Feb 14, 2009, 8:28 pm
Community Director Emerita

I'm now on the trip for which I bought them. So far, I'm absolutely delighted with them. I'll know more in a couple weeks.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by scoow
I have a narrow foot, but usually find Naturalizers comfortable (down 1/2 size if I can't find a N). When I stumbled on these "NaturalSoul" shoes last fall, I gave them a try. Unbelievably comfy from the first wearing. I wore them all over Argentina (BsA and the trails at Iguazu Falls). When I got back, I bought a second pair. Great with jeans or slacks. If they have any spring flats that are stylish enough for Paris, I would consider them.
I have a very similar pair from Naturalizer which I wear as my very casual tough walking shoe. They've been all around the world and still look new. I agree - extremely comfortable no matter the terrain, and they have never hurt my feet. I can go all day in them.

I've told this story before, but once I was at MUC going through extra security screening, and the screener kept lapsing into English while she was talking to me. I finally asked 'why do you think I am not German?' to which she replied 'I keep forgetting because of your shoes'.

I had been for a hike around the lake and forgotten to change out of these shoes before I left the house for the airport.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Originally Posted by exbayern
I have about 14 pairs of GEOX. In summer I wear my loafers or ballet flats with those sockette things - I've tried a variety and find the HUE ones best. They tend not to slip around. There are a large number of styles from the driving moc to the various buckled ones to ballet flats to wedge heels.

GEOX are actually usually cheaper in America. Find a style you like and order online; there are great sales and you can get them for 1/3 to 1/2 off what we are charged in Europe.
This is getting to bizarre!

However a good sale souce is the Nordstorm Annivsary Sales. That's where I bought mine!
Old Feb 17, 2009, 4:18 pm

See, if I buy them online nobody can laugh at my size. They have snorted with laughter in GEOX stores from Germany to Austria to Italy to Manhattan to China. Only the Manhattan store had my size and they were a few years old. Nordstrom giggled, if I recall.

I order online and nobody laughs!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:08 am

Programs: new united nobody
i have some naot shoes i got at nordstrom. they are fabulous.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 9:12 pm

Programs: nada these days
I second the recommendation of Skechers -- I have two pairs, one like the ballet flat/bicycle shoe crossover youreadyfreddie mentioned, and one like a sleek version of a tennis shoe. Both are comfortable, but I've found I can go a lot farther without discomfort if I wear socks or those little hosiery socks that just cover your feet. They got me around Buenos Aires for a week and a half, and both are chic and modern-looking. And I adore my Naturalizer black ballet flats so much that I'm tempted to buy more pairs in different colors -- I wear them all over San Francisco.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by erdehoff
I second the recommendation of Skechers -- I have two pairs, one like the ballet flat/bicycle shoe crossover youreadyfreddie mentioned, and one like a sleek version of a tennis shoe. Both are comfortable, but I've found I can go a lot farther without discomfort if I wear socks or those little hosiery socks that just cover your feet. They got me around Buenos Aires for a week and a half, and both are chic and modern-looking. And I adore my Naturalizer black ballet flats so much that I'm tempted to buy more pairs in different colors -- I wear them all over San Francisco.
I found a pair of what I believe are the Skechers ballet flat/bicycle shoe crossovers at Nordstrom Rack today. They seem very comfy, and I may also find a pair of the Superfeet insoles to maximize my benefit from this thread! Thanks everyone!
Old Feb 26, 2009, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

While I love my Geox boots which are great for walking, I live in my Merrills. My mode of transporation living in NYC is on foot. Merrills are attractive and enormously comfortable.

Do a search and type in the word "shoes". You'll see several threads in which we've talked about what shoes are most comfortable for travelling, what looks good, etc. I think that will help you!
Old Feb 28, 2009, 2:59 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Hi Ladies:

Re: Skechers Mary Janes. I found them today on 6pm.com's web site for about $30 a pair--considerably less than what I paid for them. I did a search on www.6pm.com for "Skechers Mary Janes" and about 30+ versions came up, some with the more sneaker-like sole mentioned by another poster here.

I'm not affiliated with 6pm.com, but wanted to share the info here for what seems like a good deal on a chic little shoe that's comfy, stylish, and good for walking. Cheers all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.