Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Sleeping on overnight flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sleeping on overnight flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2010, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL UA US
Question Sleeping on overnight flights

Have searched these boards, and found one tip for getting some sleep: bring one's own pillow and use it as a body pillow.

I will be flying several Delta BE flights soon, most of which still have the recliner type business seats. I've never been able to get even a nap in them, even though it's business class!

Other than bringing my own blanket and neck pillow, does anyone have any tips?

Thanks.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I find that a tylenol pm works wonders
Old Sep 17, 2010, 9:01 am

I take a Sonata. It lasts about 4-5 hours and it works just fine.

Bobette
Old Sep 17, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: DL Silver, DL Million Miler
1/2 Ambien following the meal. Works great!
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: DL GM
Be sure to use the lavatory & brush your teeth after dinner- just to have some sort of normal pre-sleep routine.

Wear your eye shades.

I take noise-cancelling headphones and an iPod- have a special "sleep" playlist (it helps to play this sometimes at bedtime at home so that you get programmed to respond to it).

Ambien does nothing for me, but I find that a couple of glasses of wine help. If you know a yoga (or other) routine for relaxing parts of your body, this is the time to use it.

And if nothing works, don't beat yourself up about it. Just try to think about something pleasant and listen to your music. Maybe you'll at least doze a bit.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone.

Ambien doesn't work for me, haven't tried Sonata.

I use noise-cancelling headphones, but hadn't thought of a sleep playlist. Good idea!

One more request: Biggest problem is trying to curl up in a recliner seat. Anyone successful with this?

Thanks for all the help so far.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by Pincus
Thanks, everyone.

Ambien doesn't work for me, haven't tried Sonata.

I use noise-cancelling headphones, but hadn't thought of a sleep playlist. Good idea!

One more request: Biggest problem is trying to curl up in a recliner seat. Anyone successful with this?

Thanks for all the help so far.
Ask for an extra pillow. I've found cuddling around an extra pillow allows me to curl up in the seat...
Old Sep 20, 2010, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice here...I also found some suggestions in other blogs connected with this forum.

Happy traveling.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: Marriott PLT, Starwood, American Gold, Delta
What I do:

1. have dinner, but not much liquid (goes against what we're all told, but I don't want to be woken up having to use restroom). Keep bottle of water handy in case I get thirsty.
2. use restroom, brush teeth, and take bra off. I always wear something super loose, with some sort of wrap around me. For some reason, taking bra off makes me feel like I'm getting ready for bed.
3. like others, I get an extra pillow or blanket. I travel with one small blanket. I also have the wrap. I curl up, using all these items (airline pillow, my blanket, my wrap) and tuck into areas around my body to position it. Cover up with airline blanket and sleep.
4. I sit on side away from restroom if possible, just to cut down on noise.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Brush your teeth first is a biggie, at least for Americans. It's like a program we've had drilled into us. Can't sleep no matter how tired I am, must brush teeth first!

Having seen their effects on others, I won't risk the sleeping pills, but if it works for you, fine -- I'm just not willing to chance it for myself.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:42 am

Earplugs and eyeshade

Drugs, earplugs/ipod, eyeshade, warm slippers, warm blanket, neck pillow, chapstick. Try to get a little nap before the trip, get a little nap on the plane, then take a *little* nap when you get there. Between all those little naps, you're not so very exhausted, but ready for a good night's sleep when the night finally comes at your destination.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 4:24 pm

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Don't mix sleeping tablets with wine and other pills

I was coming back to US from Shanghai and was seated in a business class. I took my ambien, took requip for my restless leg syndrome and upon insistance from a friendly but stranger next seat companion had a couple of glasses of wine and then folishly made the mistake of taking some tablet that he gave me as a sleeping helper.
Nausea, confusion, discomfort, stomach pain, agony, anger, embarassment, stupidity, etc were some of my feelings immediately after I consumed all of them in a period of half an hour. But still no sleep!
I still take ambien and a couple of glasses of wine without any problem, but will never accept any medication from a stranger. I should have known better being in a medical environment.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Melatonin works for me (find it near herbal meds and vitamins in the drugstore). I take two pills when they start boarding; it takes about an hour for it to kick in. I prefer melatonin to Ambien etc because it makes me feel sleepy but not groggy.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 2:24 pm

I take Ambien & melatonin. I also brush my teeth and change before bed - I change into a loose t-shirt and yoga pants with no bra, which I find are more comfortable for sleeping.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
I take off all my makeup. I use Purity face wipes. I have my own pillow and small but warm blanket and change in to loose clothing and slippers. I might look silly, but dont care, sleep is most important. About half hour before sleep I take a Nyquil. I sleep with my Bose headphones on. I sleep great on planes, which I'm very lucky for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.