Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Sleeping on overnight flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sleeping on overnight flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:40 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by Gynob001
I was coming back to US from Shanghai and was seated in a business class. I took my ambien, took requip for my restless leg syndrome and upon insistance from a friendly but stranger next seat companion had a couple of glasses of wine and then folishly made the mistake of taking some tablet that he gave me as a sleeping helper.
Nausea, confusion, discomfort, stomach pain, agony, anger, embarassment, stupidity, etc were some of my feelings immediately after I consumed all of them in a period of half an hour. But still no sleep!
I still take ambien and a couple of glasses of wine without any problem, but will never accept any medication from a stranger. I should have known better being in a medical environment.
Not sure if I'm reading this right. You're saying that you took some pill given by a stranger? If so, you're far braver than I am, and you're lucky too; a pill given by a stranger could be *anything*. You have to worry about everything from allergies and interactions to malicious intent, and I'd rather not do that at 37k feet!
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Pincus
I will be flying several Delta BE flights soon, most of which still have the recliner type business seats. I've never been able to get even a nap in them, even though it's business class!

Other than bringing my own blanket and neck pillow, does anyone have any tips?
When I fly BE on DL, I don't bother with my own blanket and pillow. Their pillows and duvets are really comfortable. (I cannot say that for all airlines, for example, if I fly Affairs on AF, I bring my own as their pillows and blankets aren't very good IMO.)

I bring my own eyeshade, iPod and prescription meds and usually manage to get some sleep, even in the recliner seats, despite being a side sleeper.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 5:40 am

Programs: qantas club
1. Remove bra (I wear a shelf-bra camisole over it to help restrain the boobage)
2. Wash face and clean teeth
3. Take an old-fashioned anti-histamine, like Polaramine. It makes me sleepy, especially if I've had a glass or two of wine, as well as controlling nausea if things get bumpy.
4. Wrap fleece, cardi or jumper around handbag, and use as a pillow.
5. Insert earbuds, and select either soothing music, or a familiar book reading.
6. Snuggle into pashmina.
7. If not in a window seat, apologise in advance to the person I'm going to end up leaning against...

The ritual, and the familiar "smell of me" from the pashmina and fleece almost always does the trick.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 6:48 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
My seat baggie always contains, my Eagle Creek pillow, a pashmina or large silk scarf, and noise canceling headphones. The noise canceling headphones along with a naptime playlist were the biggest improvement for me, as previously I was unable to sleep on planes. I am now able to at least doze off.

Melatonin, a glass of wine, a pillow and a moisturizing facial mask (the disposable type in foil packets) work for my mom.

Last edited by tcl; Nov 12, 2010 at 6:57 am
Old Nov 12, 2010, 6:54 am

Programs: Several dozen
Benadryl, noise cancelling headphones
Old Nov 12, 2010, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I am becoming a Benedryl convert. A glass of wine. Benedryl. Eyeshades, noise canceling headphones (though hard to sleep with). I wear a sports bra on long flights. My boobs have become grandmother boobs and I can't sleep in an underwire and I won't sleep on a plane without something.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:10 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
1. change to airline with life-flat seat in business
2. upgrade to an airline with First class seats - tend to be larger and lie flat with a smaller number of passangers - tends to be quieter
3. Try the new suites on the A 380
4. The ultimate upgrade to a private jet
5. Better yet, upgrade to a job that does not require overnight trips.
6. If you are traveling for fun, don't sweat it; don't worry about sleeping and just schedule an extra day on the way there and back to compensate. Stay in a nicer hotel with better beds while away.

these are some tips from a guy.... I am sure it is not what you wanted to hear but could not resist.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:07 pm

I'm a Tylenol PM fan as well. It drys me out, so I try to drink a lot of water.

For clothing, loose, breathable fabrics (yoga clothing is great) with layers to handle different temperatures in flight. I won't wear an underwire bra on a longhaul flight, but I prefer some support so I wear a camisole/tank top with a shelf bra built in.

For long haul, its all about being a functionista, not a fashionista
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:45 pm

Yes, get a really good sleep mask that will block ALL light. Not have a little crack where suddenly light will be hitting your eyes.

Also in the past I found it important to tell people next to me that I don't want to be woken when they come around offering drinks and other things.

And they will wake you for seatbelts if there's turbulance. Unless you belt it over the blanket and it's visible to them. You can't have a pillow or other blanket bunched over it so they can't see.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:13 am

Programs: flying blue ,hilton honnors,LHW, melia mas, lufthansa, iberia, amex plat
melatonine is fantastic.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Benadryl, good earplugs (the kind in the amenity kits on most airlines are too hard and hurt my ears), a good soft sleep mask that doesn't irritate my skin (my favorite for travel is from a BA F amenity kit).

I change into pjs before the dinner service and try to start relaxing then - if the "quick" service option for dinner is appetizing, I often choose that. After dessert it's sleep time... I wash off all my makeup and apply good moisturizer, tie my hair back, and off to sleep.

On shorter (transatlantic or SA to NA) flights I let the FAs know that I do not want to be woken until 30 minutes prior to landing. Of course, by the time, they are usually making announcements anyhow so I wake up. Brush teeth, change into day clothes, and I can reapply any necessary makeup during landing/taxi.

Depending on the flight length, I can typically get 5-7 hours of sleep this way.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Also, as a "side sleeper", I find anything but a true flat seat to be relatively uncomfortable. In a J-class non-flat seat, I will try to compensate by pushing the headrest up as far as possible (gives me more "horizontal" room) and try to put something under my feet (coat, etc.) to give me less leg dangle. Having my legs dangle is for me the biggest cause of no sleep. When I have to sleep on a red-eye in a domestic F seat, I always try to prop my feet on my carryon and get a window seat so I have something to lean against.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
For those of you who are using benadryl or Tylenol PM, a much cheaper alternative is Wal-Mart's generic motion sickness. A bottle of 100 costs less than $5.00. I use this product since it prevents nausea and causes drowsiness. I take it a few hours before my flight and then one more pill after I am onboard.

If I am in coach (only once in the last thirteen months and that was my last AA DFW to CDG flight over Thanksgiving), I gather as many of the coach pillows as I can and convert them into one big pillow by sticking them inside of a cashmere sweater and tying the sleeves to keep the pillows inside.

I skip the entree and eat only the salad, cheese, and crackers if I am in coach on an international flight. I request my free glass of wine by showing my Executive Platinum card. I use noise-cancelling headphones and a sleep mask. However, even with all of these aides, I rarely really sleep.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 8:00 am

I have no issues taking a nap on long haul flights.

I've just purchased a travel combo pillow and blanket that can be easily placed in my carry-on for my next trip so I don't have to use what the airline provides.

I just try not to have much food/drink with a lot of sugar and/or caffeine which can keep me awake.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2 MM, DL PLT
Originally Posted by techgirl
Also, as a "side sleeper", I find anything but a true flat seat to be relatively uncomfortable. In a J-class non-flat seat, I will try to compensate by pushing the headrest up as far as possible (gives me more "horizontal" room) and try to put something under my feet (coat, etc.) to give me less leg dangle. Having my legs dangle is for me the biggest cause of no sleep. When I have to sleep on a red-eye in a domestic F seat, I always try to prop my feet on my carryon and get a window seat so I have something to lean against.
I could have written this post! Glad to know I am not the only side sleeper who can't get comfortable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.