Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westjet Economy Preferred Seats

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2023, 8:36 am

Programs: Kettle Class
WestJet's own seat map for the 737-8 MAX implies this aircraft (with the 12 Premium Seats) only has 'Preferred Seats' at the Exit Rows.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/aircraft/boeing-737-max

However, their seat selection page (for a flight operated on this aircraft type) seems to suggest Rows 4-7 are Preferred Seats (incl. beverage and snack) and the Exit Rows are the next cheaper seat category. I see we've had some discussion on other 737 variants earlier, but could someone confirm the Preferred Seats in Rows 4-7 of the 737-8 MAX indeed have 35 inches of pitch?
Old Dec 20, 2023, 12:05 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by progapanda
WestJet's own seat map for the 737-8 MAX implies this aircraft (with the 12 Premium Seats) only has 'Preferred Seats' at the Exit Rows.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/aircraft/boeing-737-max

However, their seat selection page (for a flight operated on this aircraft type) seems to suggest Rows 4-7 are Preferred Seats (incl. beverage and snack) and the Exit Rows are the next cheaper seat category. I see we've had some discussion on other 737 variants earlier, but could someone confirm the Preferred Seats in Rows 4-7 of the 737-8 MAX indeed have 35 inches of pitch?
See post #58 here:

Is there any known method to ensure I avoid Swoop or Sunwing aircraft?
progapanda likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 12:52 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Sopwith

OK ... I'm confused by this too. I must be missing something. There are now two seating layouts for the MAX 8 ... one 'normal', the other 'economy seating only'. Exactly which layout is Aerobod's post (in that other thread) referring to? (I assume he's referring to "Layout 1" which includes a Premium cabin, since he mentions Y starting at row 4. But it's in the thread about the all-Y-configuration aircraft.)
Originally Posted by aerobod
They should be in the 32-33" range, with the 2 emergency exit rows at 35-36". The current 9 rows (rows 4-12) in front of the emergency exit are about 31", rows 4-9 should become about 32.5", rows 10-12 28".
And for the love of god, why do WestJet's seat maps on their website apparently not clearly and accurately communicate which seats are actually designated as "Preferred" (both MAX seatmaps are, it seems, wrong), nor does that page accurately communicate the seat pitches? WestJet's own site doesn't match what Aerobod shared here -- and I trust Aerobod more than their website.

Other than exit rows, are there really, truly, actually "Preferred" seats on the MAXs now? If so, is there an accurate seatmap? And what are the seat pitches in Preferred non-exit-row seats??

Come on, WestJet, could you make this clear and easy for your customers? We shouldn't have to be scrolling through multiple posts and threads on a customer forum to figure out what your seat layout really is.
progapanda and aerobod like this.

Last edited by FlyerJ; Dec 20, 2023 at 1:32 pm
Old Dec 20, 2023, 1:23 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Come on, WestJet, could you make this clear and easy for your customers? We shouldn't have to be scrolling through multiple posts and threads on a customer forum to figure out what your seat layout really is.
Perhaps the same people who think that catering doesn't matter in PY. You got a seat, you got a snack box, what more do you want?
Old Dec 20, 2023, 3:32 pm

Programs: Kettle Class

Other than exit rows, are there really, truly, actually "Preferred" seats on the MAXs now? If so, is there an accurate seatmap? And what are the seat pitches in Preferred non-exit-row seats??
I am hoping so because they've just sold me 3 Preferred Seats - at an upcharge - in Row 4 on a 737-8 MAX! I could have gone for the Exit Row seats to be sure of extra legroom, but unfortunately one member of my party has an arm in a sling so would not qualify for the Exit Row.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 4:03 pm

I am hoping so because they've just sold me 3 Preferred Seats - at an upcharge - in Row 4 on a 737-8 MAX! I could have gone for the Exit Row seats to be sure of extra legroom, but unfortunately one member of my party has an arm in a sling so would not qualify for the Exit Row.
Row 4 does have more legroom than the stand Y seats due to its location behind the last row of Premium but note that the aisle seats underseat storage is limited due to the frame of the Premium seats in front so will only fit a purse but not a backpack.
progapanda likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 5:41 pm

OK ... I'm confused by this too. I must be missing something. There are now two seating layouts for the MAX 8 ... one 'normal', the other 'economy seating only'. Exactly which layout is Aerobod's post (in that other thread) referring to? (I assume he's referring to "Layout 1" which includes a Premium cabin, since he mentions Y starting at row 4. But it's in the thread about the all-Y-configuration aircraft.)
My recent posts refers to the 3rd layout that is on the way (not sure if any aircraft have entered service yet), it is only applicable on 180 seat MAX 8s and -800s. The current most predominant layout ("normal") is 174 seats without the additional extra legroom rows or any 28/29" pitch rows. The "economy seating only" config is for the ex-Swoop 189 seat layout without J seats and with just a few extra legroom rows (also effectively the same as Sunwing aircraft).

My opinion is that it will take until sometime in 2025 until all MAX 8s and -800s have the new 180 seat config.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 6:43 pm

According to Seat Guru, the economy seat pitch in the current “normal” 162/12 configuration is 31-33” for the 738 and 31-34” for the 7M8. It doesn’t say where the demarcation between 31” and 33 or 34” is.

The pitch in the exit rows is 35 or 36” from my memory. Again, be aware that in the forward exit row 13 and in row 12 the seats don’t recline.
aerobod likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 8:07 pm

According to Seat Guru...
SeatGuru has largely stopped updating their site… it’s gone kinda dead. User beware. It’s full of very inaccurate info for many airlines.

(They also show that WestJet flies the 767 and 737-600.)
gcashin, SonofYEG, dw and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 10:21 pm

Again, be aware that in the forward exit row 13 and in row 12 the seats don’t recline.
I’m hoping with the new config that they lock-out recline on all seats that are in front of any row with the 28/29” pitch, not just the seats in front of emergency exit rows.

Ryanair has always had seat recline lock-out on all their 737-800 and MAX 8 seats AFAIK. When I have travelled on them, I’ve never seen any disputes over knee room due to this, compared with recline battles on other airlines.
FlyerJ likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by aerobod
I’m hoping with the new config that they lock-out recline on all seats that are in front of any row with the 28/29” pitch, not just the seats in front of emergency exit rows.

Ryanair has always had seat recline lock-out on all their 737-800 and MAX 8 seats AFAIK. When I have travelled on them, I’ve never seen any disputes over knee room due to this, compared with recline battles on other airlines.
Absolutely. With that seat pitch, it's a necessity.

It will be interesting to see how the differentiate this new "Basic" class in terms of on-board service -- which may be impossible to do since it's just different rows in the same cabin. Will the row in front of the exit row get nothing - and have to pay for water - while the exit row gets complimentary drinks and the usual free 'sweet or salty snack'? Or will everybody get the same level of service ... which kinda defeats the purpose of offering a differentiated ULCC product option on board, at a significantly lower ULCC price.

The seating may turn into a mess, particularly since it seems that there will be different seat pitches at different places throughout the Y cabin. It seems like there will be 3 (?) different types of seat in the future ... Preferred (including exit), standard, and knee-crusher-Ryanair. I just have so many questions about this will work, and how it will be perceived and understood by infrequent fliers (i.e. WestJet's new target market) who may not realize that different rows offer significantly different levels of comfort. And what about self-upgraders within the Y cabin?

I also hope and pray that this new Swoop/Tango/ULCC/Basic fare class on mainline WS is loaded everywhere as a universally-recognized "Basic" fare in TA systems. My company's policy is that we don't book Basic -- so any airline fare that's classified as 'Basic' isn't bookable and isn't factored into our "within company policy" price approval algorithm. If WestJet rebrands it or gives it some kind of new fare class that TA systems don't automatically flag as 'Basic', that's a problem.
aerobod likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:43 am

how it will be perceived and understood by infrequent fliers (i.e. WestJet's new target market) who may not realize that different rows offer significantly different levels of comfort.
This is the key point, even for frequent flyers. If the new normal is mostly ULCC WS must make it clear early in the booking process what the seat pitch actually is so customers know what they're buying. I'm hopeful but not optimistic.
FlyerJ, YYCguy, aerobod and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 6:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
This is the key point, even for frequent flyers. If the new normal is mostly ULCC WS must make it clear early in the booking process what the seat pitch actually is so customers know what they're buying. I'm hopeful but not optimistic.
Transparency from an airline? Colour me skeptical.
Sopwith, gcashin and V1213 like this.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 9:48 pm

Programs: Hilton, Delta, Hyatt, MGM
I am flying to NRT from YYC in a couple of months with a family member and I have the option to buy a couple of different extra legroom rows. I am 6'2, so extra legroom is always a plus. Any recommendation on which row is best? I am leaning towards row 26 but since we are probably going to be middle and window, I was thinking the exit door might protrude into my legroom. Thank you in advance.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 8:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue, Marriott Rewards
Preferred seating on 737-700 appear to be nother more then 3cm. So for $138.00 you 3 cm? Come on Westjet. TOTAL RIP OFF.

Last edited by brewster; Apr 8, 2024 at 10:00 am Reason: image

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.