Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is there any known method to ensure I avoid Swoop or Sunwing aircraft?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2023, 9:28 am
Original Poster

I noticed on a recent booking that Google Flights showed 29" of legroom on a Westjet flight. I think that means it's a former Swoop or Sunwing aircraft... but I don't know if Google Flights is trustworthy on that?

Short version is if I am getting ULCC legroom, I'm not paying Westjet's high fares.

Obviously equipment swaps can always happen but that's a risk I'm willing to accept.. versus accepting the crappy aircraft from the outset
Old Oct 6, 2023, 9:56 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by thatdaveguy
I noticed on a recent booking that Google Flights showed 29" of legroom on a Westjet flight. I think that means it's a former Swoop or Sunwing aircraft... but I don't know if Google Flights is trustworthy on that?

Short version is if I am getting ULCC legroom, I'm not paying Westjet's high fares.

Obviously equipment swaps can always happen but that's a risk I'm willing to accept.. versus accepting the crappy aircraft from the outset
A surefire way of ensuring that you don't get a former Swoop or Sunwing aircraft is to buy a ticket on someone other than Westjet - otherwise you are at their mercies.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 10:13 am

Programs: WestJet Rewards, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by thatdaveguy

Look up the flight you want to buy on WestJet's website. All-economy aircraft are 737-800s, (which are the ex-Swoop ones) are labelled quite clearly I believe as "all economy aircraft" and it won't be selling premium fares. The aircraft code is 7S8 compared with existing WestJet planes which are 73H. All 7373-700s are WestJet's.
Da_Master and V1213 like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 10:34 am

Programs: AC 35k
Pretty certain ex-Swoop and Sunwing aircraft are used on a specific routes, also. So you're going to see these aircraft on sun routes (a la Rouge) and on former Swoop routes. If you're not flying those, I think you're going to be pretty safe, with the exception, as you said, of aircraft swaps due to IRROPS.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:04 am

Over time all 737s will be getting the ULCC seat pitch behind the wing emergency exit rows and several rows in front of the wing. The only way to avoid this completely (besides IROPs) is to pay for extra legroom for a specific seat at booking time. The default in the future is the lowest price will be for a ULCC seat, assuming at that time those seats will be comparable in price to ULCCs such as Flair on that same route.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
The only surefire way I can think of is to book a route that's served by 787 and not 737. Planned well, it's possible to fly YYZ - YVR in this way, for example.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JetFuelBlood
Look up the flight you want to buy on WestJet's website. All-economy aircraft are 737-800s, (which are the ex-Swoop ones) are labelled quite clearly I believe as "all economy aircraft" and it won't be selling premium fares. The aircraft code is 7S8 compared with existing WestJet planes which are 73H. All 7373-700s are WestJet's.
good tips! Thanks all

I was naive enough to be excited as I thought Westjet was elevating the market by shutting down 2 crappy carriers. Now I see they are just downgrading to an ULCC altogether

I sure hate that ACA has left the Prairies…
Old Oct 6, 2023, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tjk1976
The only surefire way I can think of is to book a route that's served by 787 and not 737. Planned well, it's possible to fly YYZ - YVR in this way, for example.
no WJA 787 service at YEG except for an occasional red eye
Old Oct 7, 2023, 5:31 am

Yikes, just booked a cheap WestJet flight from YHZ-MCO without really looking at the details, now I think it’ll be one of these planes. I guess that’s what you get for a $320 ticket.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 11:54 am

It's not all bad, depending on how much value you put into seat selection, it's not that much more to select the extra legroom. On a flight I recently booked it was $26-$29 for a cramped seat (29"?), or $47 for an extra legroom seat (34-36" I think)
tcook052 and aerobod like this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TripleQ
It's not all bad, depending on how much value you put into seat selection, it's not that much more to select the extra legroom. On a flight I recently booked it was $26-$29 for a cramped seat (29"?), or $47 for an extra legroom seat (34-36" I think)
If they’re available! In my case my work books my travel so I can only select seats after it’s finalized

Air Canada shows seat availability when looking at fares, I think with WestJet you can only look by diving deep into the booking process
Old Oct 13, 2023, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Lovely, looks like my Dec 22 Westjet YEG to YYZ is on these Swoop planes. I didn’t buy a Swoop flight. My knees don’t fit in regular Swoop seats. Not happy. Hoping Westjet will assign me a seat that works….otherwise I’ll write to Delta after the fact as I used Skymiles. It’s quite a sneaky move and sucks when half the YEG-YYZ are ex Swoop. Don’t think that competes too well with Porter and AC.
YYCguy and smeariestag17 like this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 6:59 am

Ugh! I would not want to be on an ex Swoop aircraft either, and I’m not tall! So sorry to hear that! If possible, could you not cancel your flight and book with AC or Porter?
Old Oct 14, 2023, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by YYCguy
Ugh! I would not want to be on an ex Swoop aircraft either, and I’m not tall! So sorry to hear that! If possible, could you not cancel your flight and book with AC or Porter?
I could re-book and will keep an eye on options for sure.
YYCguy likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Lovely, looks like my Dec 22 Westjet YEG to YYZ is on these Swoop planes. I didn’t buy a Swoop flight. My knees don’t fit in regular Swoop seats. Not happy. Hoping Westjet will assign me a seat that works….otherwise I’ll write to Delta after the fact as I used Skymiles. It’s quite a sneaky move and sucks when half the YEG-YYZ are ex Swoop. Don’t think that competes too well with Porter and AC.
Just checking one of the flights on Dec 22, the exit row 16 still has seats available at about $50, which give the same legroom as the exit row on other WS 737-800s. It is clearly marked before you even select any flight that the aircraft has "Economy seats only" and the aircraft type is 737-800 7S8

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.