Wiki Posts
Search

New: Bid upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
New: Bid upgrades

It looks like they've launched a new "bid upgrade" system (similar to Air Canada's):

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...ptions/upgrade

To be honest, I found it all confusing trying to figure out exactly how this works. There seem to be multiple pages of FAQs and instructions with multiple tabs and pop-down trays. (Perhaps they should work on brevity...)

I don't have a Y class flight imminent, so I gave up on trying to figure it all out.

But... it looks like you can now enter an offer amount to bid for an upgrade to Premium or Business ... between 120 days and 5 days prior to travel ... and upgrades are selected at T-5 days. I think. If successful, your credit card is automatically charged at T-5. If not, you keep your original seat and cabin.

(If I'm right, I find it frustrating. As a Gold member, I get early access to purchase upgrades as one of my big perks. But now all of the 'bidders' - regardless of status - are in front of me in the line. Hmmph.)
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Bidding on Air Canada has never made sense, the minimum bid was always substantially more than an upgrade at check-in would have been.
Heffeh41 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:20 pm

I can't get any of my flights to appear in the system, I keep getting the "No eligible flights exist." message.

I guess it hasn't fully been implemented yet, I don't see to see it in the app either.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by zappy312
I can't get any of my flights to appear in the system, I keep getting the "No eligible flights exist." message.

I guess it hasn't fully been implemented yet, I don't see to see it in the app either.
It is only supposed to be available on certain routes as a trial. It wasn't mentioned which routes though.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Getting a ridiculous $240 minimum bid HNL-YVR
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:31 pm

So it's exactly like Air Canada's bidding.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
It is only supposed to be available on certain routes as a trial. It wasn't mentioned which routes though.
Today my multi-city res shows up but like the other person, I'm only getting the opportunity to bid on HNL - YVR (and I'll pass at $240 for a 737-800 upgrade, no thanks).
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:48 pm

I expect WestJet is trialing the Plusgrade system, used by most airlines for upgrade bidding (including Air Canada).
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:39 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zappy312
Today my multi-city res shows up but like the other person, I'm only getting the opportunity to bid on HNL - YVR (and I'll pass at $240 for a 737-800 upgrade, no thanks).
I would jump on the $240 upgrade. That is less than $50 / hour.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by aerobod
I expect WestJet is trialing the Plusgrade system, used by most airlines for upgrade bidding (including Air Canada).
Yes, it's Plusgrade.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm
I would jump on the $240 upgrade. That is less than $50 / hour.
I don't think I have ever paid $240 for an upgrade to or from Hawaii on WestJet.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Error 601
I don't think I have ever paid $240 for an upgrade to or from Hawaii on WestJet.
Well....now's your chance...
5mm likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
On longer flights I tend to book into Plus right from the start ... if I want the seat, then I know I have it with no games.

But on shorter hauls where I've booked into standard Y I've noticed the bid amounts, plus what I paid for the Y seat to begin with, are often close to or even higher than what a Plus seat would have cost from the outset. Hmmmm.
Frequentlander likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Well....now's your chance...
I think I will continue upgrading at check-in if it's all the same to you.
Frequentlander likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by Error 601
I think I will continue upgrading at check-in if it's all the same to you.
I think you will find this harder, now. WestJet is trying to monetize the Plus section. I can see them making more revenue on this for the 787s for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.