Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New: Bid upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2022, 12:33 pm

Programs: Altitude
Hi All - I've got the status match to WestJet Platinum from SE100K. I'm booked to fly YYZ-YYC-YQR on November 4th. I booked this as an Econo Flex. Does anyone know the liklihood of getting an upgrade to Premium with this fare, or am I better off just bidding for an upgrade?

Asking specifically for the YYZ-YYC leg....

Thanks for any input on this.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 4:49 pm

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
Success bid

Oct 30 2022 PVR-YVR on 787 Dreamliner

Paid for econ fare of $190
Placed my bid of $195 to business (low: $100, highest: $400), 14 days prior to flight.
They Accepted my bid 5 days to departure
Old Oct 30, 2022, 2:54 am

Programs: Accor, Hilton, Marriott, Radisson Gold; Aeroplan 35K
Originally Posted by precielous
Wrote this is another thread, but might as well post here as well. Originally booked the YHZ-LGW non-stop flight (WS24, 737 MAX 8) Premium cabin, but WestJet decided to cancel that route, and re-booked me with the YHZ-YYZ-LGW route instead. I got Premium seats for both legs. YHZ-YYZ not eligible for any upgrade. But I did put the Premium > Business upgrade offer for the YYZ-LGW leg (787-9 Dreamliner). min $370, max $670.

For now, I put the max $ because it turns out that the old non-stop YHZ-LGW Premium fare + max bid is less than the Premium cabin price for the new YHZ-YYZ-LGW route as of writing this post (T-2.5 months). I wonder if the max bid would be an overkill...?

Will report the results a few months later down the road.
Update!

T-72h: got an email saying my bid is declined ($670, max bid)
But I could upgrade during the check-in for $639, so I went with it. So happy ending for me at the end anyway.
YYCguy likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
Originally Posted by edwardian
Hi All - I've got the status match to WestJet Platinum from SE100K. I'm booked to fly YYZ-YYC-YQR on November 4th. I booked this as an Econo Flex. Does anyone know the liklihood of getting an upgrade to Premium with this fare, or am I better off just bidding for an upgrade?

Asking specifically for the YYZ-YYC leg....

Thanks for any input on this.
It really depends on which flight you're on and what its loads are.
I've had a high rate of success with pre-check-in status upgrades lately, as a Gold. I've also used the free same day change at 24 hours out to move to the next/earlier YYZ-YYC flight, as they were only an hour different and had more Premium space, resulting in successful status upgrade at the airport.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 8:39 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by V1213
I've had a high rate of success with pre-check-in status upgrades lately, as a Gold.
Sorry for the newbie question, but does one request this UG and if so how?
Old Nov 1, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
Originally Posted by taupo
Sorry for the newbie question, but does one request this UG and if so how?
These upgrades are automatic, subject to availability, for Silver, Gold, and Platinum members travelling on EconoFlex fares. Platinum members are also eligible when travelling on Econo fares.
They are processed after the bid upgrades, but before check-in paid upgrades. If there is space after check-in upgrades, status members with eligible fares may get another chance to be upgraded at the gate.

More information is available on the WestJet Rewards pages.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 12:16 pm

Data point - LHR-YYC

I’m flying on WS19, LHR-YYC. The upgrade bids (I’m booked Econo-flex) started at $875 for Premium.

Checked in earlier, and upgrades to premium are being offered for £272 ($452). Quite the difference, and a few seats showing as available.

As I’m already in an exit row, and having seen the thread about the food quality and drinks service in premium, I’m still not inclined to take the upgrade. Will see what’s on offer at the desk tomorrow though.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 12:23 pm

Data point - LHR-YYC

Duplicate
Old Dec 12, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Reserved seat fee forfeited if upgrade bid accepted?

I have no WS status and am flying YVR-PVR. If I've purchased an advance seat selection, what happens to the $51 fee I paid, should my upgrade bid be successful? Will I lose the fee or will it be "credited" to the amount I bid for the upgrade?

Also, does a successful bid to Business Class result in lounge access and the free baggage allowance?
Old Dec 12, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by YVR guy
I have no WS status and am flying YVR-PVR. If I've purchased an advance seat selection, what happens to the $51 fee I paid, should my upgrade bid be successful? Will I lose the fee or will it be "credited" to the amount I bid for the upgrade?

Also, does a successful bid to Business Class result in lounge access and the free baggage allowance?
Likely you will lose the $51 fee, or you would have to call it to get it credited, they won't do it automatically. I'd be shocked if you get the $51 back though.
Business class (J) is only offered on the 789, premium (W) doesn't entitle you to lounge access and in YVR they just give you access to the premium plaza lounges anyway. I don't think upgrades give you the fare level baggage allowance, either.

If you have a platinum Amex you'll get entry to the lounge regardless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.