Wiki Posts
Search

WS New 787 J Class Review

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HangTen
News flash gang:

It took WJ about 4 weeks to get its ducks in a row, service wise, when it launched in ‘96.

Did you really expect WJ to roll out of the gate with a new product with perfection?

Give it a few weeks folks.

Besides, their price for a lie flat across the Atlantic from Calgary is about half the cost of the other guys.

5 hour delay in catering is pretty insane though. It's one thing if it was a gaff like forgetting to load catering on an outbound for a hub. It's an entirely different stories where you have all the tools necessary to provide service and only have to cater to 16 people and you end up taking 5 hours to complete the service. I have been on puddle hopper flights several times (and a few TPACs) and in economy have always received my meal within 2 hours of takeoff, even if there was some chop. And it's not like they had to cater Y either given WS doesn't provide meals on their flights to Y passengers! In addition, you would think that if it's your inaugural flight you would do everything to get things right. Something about leaving a good first impression. Perhaps there is some mitigating factors we're missing here like J pax getting access to the Concorde lounge at LGW, but failing that I would be surprised to go unfed on such a long haul flight.

Out of curiosity how many meals were served on that flight? IIRC flights from Europe to Western North America are given 2 meals, once during take off and another prior to landing. If the first meal was delayed by 5 hours, and the length of the flights is 8 hours, I would find it hard to believe that they would serve the second meal 2 hours later!

Safe Travels,

James
Old May 15, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by j2simpso
5 hour delay in catering is pretty insane though. It's one thing if it was a gaff like forgetting to load catering on an outbound for a hub. It's an entirely different stories where you have all the tools necessary to provide service and only have to cater to 16 people and you end up taking 5 hours to complete the service. I have been on puddle hopper flights several times (and a few TPACs) and in economy have always received my meal within 2 hours of takeoff, even if there was some chop. And it's not like they had to cater Y either given WS doesn't provide meals on their flights to Y passengers! In addition, you would think that if it's your inaugural flight you would do everything to get things right. Something about leaving a good first impression. Perhaps there is some mitigating factors we're missing here like J pax getting access to the Concorde lounge at LGW, but failing that I would be surprised to go unfed on such a long haul flight.

Out of curiosity how many meals were served on that flight? IIRC flights from Europe to Western North America are given 2 meals, once during take off and another prior to landing. If the first meal was delayed by 5 hours, and the length of the flights is 8 hours, I would find it hard to believe that they would serve the second meal 2 hours later!

Safe Travels,

James
Mr James, they do in fact offer complimentary meals in all cabins on the 787. And the dining experience in the business cabin is dine on demand, not everyone dines at the same time.

Last edited by cirrusdragoon; May 15, 2019 at 10:49 am
Old May 15, 2019, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon

Mr James, they do in fact offer complimentary meals in all cabins on the 787. And the dining experience [in J cabin] is dine on demand, not everyone dines at the same time.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:24 am

Mr James, they do in fact offer complimentary meals in all cabins on the 787. And the dining experience in the business cabin is dine on demand, not everyone dines at the same time.
hardly dine on demand when you order a meal and get served 5 hours later. it's like video on demand but wait 5 hours for it to start from moment you press play
gcashin likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Another day, another video review this time from Sam Chui:

One thing to keep in mind was that his trip was sponsored by WS so his in-flight experience will likely not be the same as what Joe business traveller gets on WS. Hence, take what he's saying with a pinch of salt.

While that may be true for the 787 service, it's not true for their transatlantic service on their 767s or 737s nonstops from cities like YYZ, YHZ and YVR. Perhaps this will change once WS accepts more 787s but it will be some time before WS catches up to the service standards of AC.

-James
Old May 18, 2019, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Another day, another video review this time from Sam Chui:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9GJSsHzO78

One thing to keep in mind was that his trip was sponsored by WS so his in-flight experience will likely not be the same as what Joe business traveller gets on WS. Hence, take what he's saying with a pinch of salt.

While that may be true for the 787 service, it's not true for their transatlantic service on their 767s or 737s nonstops from cities like YYZ, YHZ and YVR. Perhaps this will change once WS accepts more 787s but it will be some time before WS catches up to the service standards of AC.

-James
Absolutely
Old May 20, 2019, 1:01 pm

But only on flights overseas, domestic 787 service doesn't include a complementary meal for Economy passengers
Old May 20, 2019, 1:02 pm

right , the same goes for all north american carriers
Old May 20, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
I'll play when they get the bugs worked out, until then I'll stay with the known quantity...
Old May 27, 2019, 7:50 am

Arrived earlier today at LGW on WS1 from YYC. Business class was staffed with three FAs, not the two it seems the early days of this flight had. I can't speak to how long dinner took to be served, as I went straight to sleep. Breakfast was served about 90 minutes out of Gatwick and all seemed pretty efficient. I prefer the WS seat to the current BA offering, so would not hesitate to take this flight again.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:33 am

J cabin is staffed with three FAs for international flights due to the increased workload associated with the dine on demand service. On domestic flights, the J cabin meal offerings/service flow is identical to the W cabin (ie: not on demand) and therefore only requires two FAs.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:02 pm

I have just posted my review.
WestJet’s Boeing 787-9 Transatlantic [LGW-YYC] Business Class Experience

I really gives WestJet an A for effort, and the highlight is still the crews, who cannot be better.
For those who are worried about meal serving times, they have three F/As in J now, so the lunch service was completed within first two hours.

To me, it is still a "work in progress"! The Gatwick ground experience and lounge are frankly disappointing.
However, it is a promising product!

Carfield
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
I just flew yyc-dub in business - was very impressed with the service, plating, food quality, and seat. Meal service took approximately 3hrs15min. There was only a gap of about two and a half hours between dinner and breakfast. I skipped breakfast and had no problems sleeping through the service.

Overall, I was pleased with the flight. If they could reduce the amount of time it takes to serve dinner, it would be nearly perfect.
cirrusdragoon likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by Bretmd
I just flew yyc-dub in business - Meal service took approximately 3hrs15min.
really meal service took that long, yikes...that's into my sleep time. Personally I like to get fed and watered early then snooze, but thats just me..
Heffeh41 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by james dean
really meal service took that long, yikes...that's into my sleep time. Personally I like to get fed and watered early then snooze, but thats just me..
It's not just you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.