WS New 787 J Class Review

Old Apr 14, 19, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
WS New 787 J Class Review

Spotted this earlier today and thought I'd share since it provides a pretty decent in-flight video review of the new J service on the 787:

-James
Fiordland likes this.
Old Apr 14, 19, 1:55 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, WS Gold, Marriott Silver
Two new reviews today, one here and one on Copa both just YouTube videos and this one 20 minutes long. Can you not post a few lines of the basics? Good, bad, service, food etc. Not everyone wants to watch long videos to just get the gist of something.

Are people wanting to monetize them?

James, this isn’t even your own video?
Old Apr 14, 19, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post
Two new reviews today, one here and one on Copa both just YouTube videos and this one 20 minutes long. Can you not post a few lines of the basics? Good, bad, service, food etc. Not everyone wants to watch long videos to just get the gist of something.

Are people wanting to monetize them?

James, this isnít even your own video?
Seriously? Pretty demanding aren't we?
Old Apr 14, 19, 12:42 pm

Love the video review!

(This guy does from great material for aviation nerds.)
Old Apr 14, 19, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Couple more video TripReports for those who hate reading words on screens:

It's about time we're starting to see Trip Reports about the actual product so that we can determine whether it makes sense to pay the couple extra quids to fly in J.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Apr 30, 19, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Another day, another trip report - this time from someone who is a prolific TripReporter:

-James
cirrusdragoon likes this.
Old May 1, 19, 2:08 am

5 hours to serve 16 J class passengers lunch has got to be some kind of world record.
gcashin and cirrusdragoon like this.
Old May 1, 19, 3:35 am

Programs: none
Originally Posted by winnipegrev View Post
5 hours to serve 16 J class passengers lunch has got to be some kind of world record.
Maybe they cooked the dinners one at a time?
Old May 1, 19, 5:34 am

It is dine on demand. So they are likely juggling 16 different meal times/different courses. And likely only had classroom practice at most because the dine on demand is exclusive to the international routes and not domestic. Iím sure they did the best they could! Cut them some slack in the beginning eh?
Old May 1, 19, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by YYCguy View Post
It is dine on demand. So they are likely juggling 16 different meal times/different courses. And likely only had classroom practice at most because the dine on demand is exclusive to the international routes and not domestic. Iím sure they did the best they could! Cut them some slack in the beginning eh?
Yes Im sure they did the best they could, however its clear the training was not adequate. In another review by Noel Phillips, he points out tons of mistakes by the crew. Forgot they had more than one type of tea, his friend ordered a meal then he was told a while later they were sold out. There was a special limited edition beer that he couldn't have because it was sold out. Yes, I know its limited edition but this is the first 787 on the LGW YYC route. Get enough beer in! These things are not difficult. All this is in J. Noel described the service as dreadful. This is a cutthroat business and if they don't rectify these issues fast they will be in trouble, especially when the big wigs at WS keep referring to themselves as a "world class airline".
Old May 1, 19, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by YYCguy View Post
Allowing 3 hours after takeoff to having lunch complete would be cutting them slack.

5 hours is nothing short of shameful.

WestJet should have been doing on demand training domestically then, not treating these J pax as paying guinea pigs. But I doubt dine on demand is the issue - it seems almost everyone wanted to eat at the same time after takeoff. FAs are known to prefer this as it is easier. It couldn't have been a matter of waiting for the oven to finish in a matter of unfortunately staggered orders etc.
Santander, gcashin and Jonsie like this.
Old May 1, 19, 8:47 am

Programs: WS Plat., AS Gold, Winner "Misanthropes to Watch" (1984)
If it takes that long to get served dinner, the best advice would be to pack a lunch to take on board to tide you over while you wait for meal service.
Old May 1, 19, 8:00 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Frequentlander View Post
If it takes that long to get served dinner, the best advice would be to pack a lunch to take on board to tide you over while you wait for meal service.

If you need a snack, you can always visit the 'Social Area'.

Ron.
Old May 2, 19, 9:39 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Here is Ben Schlappig's review of WestJet Business Class product...
https://onemileatatime.com/westjet-7...zing,%20But...

Coles Notes version:

WestJet 787 business class bottom line

WestJetís 787 business class has so much potential. Theyíve created a gorgeous, intimate business class cabin with excellent seats, amenities, wifi, and entertainment.

The food quality and selection was exceptional, and in general the service felt more like Qatar Airways than anything else. The crew was also very friendly.

The one glaring problem is the pace of service. I suspect that over time thatís something theyíll be able to work out, because Iíve never in my life had an airline take nearly four hours to complete a basic meal service, and that also nearly eliminates the point of having a flat bed.

WestJet, your business class is so close to being one of the best transatlantic business class products out there. So kudos for that, but work out the issues, please!
Fiordland and cirrusdragoon like this.
Old May 2, 19, 9:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by WR Cage View Post
Here is Ben Schlappig's review of WestJet Business Class product...
Coles Notes version:
The telling aspect is this timeline:

The the author/passanger asked for the meal as soon after takeoff as possible, and ended up with:
  • "My meal order was taken 40min after takeoff
  • I was served my first drink 1hr25min after takeoff
  • My table was set 2hr40min after takeoff
  • My appetizer was served 3hr after takeoff
  • My main was served 3hr20min after takeoff
  • My dessert was served 3hr40min after takeoff"
There is something wrong there.

Search this Thread