Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry - On

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
This weeks winner of the WestJet Carry-on challenge is.....

technically there is nothing wrong here . she has 1) a bag or suitcase — allowed 2) another bag which can count as her personal item 3) she has another bag which could be considered her misc allotments such as clothing in a bag or food or duty free or portable electronic devices , reading material.

i would be more concerned if she was trying to bring two suit cases . or a giant duffle bag and her roller suitcase or a giant back pack and a roller suitcase, not these minute small book bags.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Sopwith

The real problem is passengers and crew schlepping all their worldly goods with them with blatant disregard for the rules.
crew are allowed to have three pieces of their company luggage. their lunch kit, their roller case, and their roller briefcase. all elements which crew are permitted by the company in order to carry all relevant supplies required to complete their work duties over a stretch of X amount of days.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by james dean
I'm thinking flight crews are apprehensive to gate check their crew bags, why I don't know....it would free up a lot of the overhead bin space in the forward cabin for the "guests"...
Gate checking operating crew luggage on multi sector days does not work on the narrow body fleet . it creates too much risk that a crew members bag will be accidentally left behind and a logistical nightmare for contracted ground crews and maintaining consistency in implementing a program as such for the 737 fleet. It was trialled before and it failed from what my inside source revealed. Not feasible . Good on paper not realistic in real life. their crews do have this option on the 787 and 767 currently.
YYCguy likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon

Gate checking operating crew luggage on multi sector days does not work on the narrow body fleet...their crews do have this option on the 787 and 767 currently.
LGW is the only city which currently allows wide body crew to check a bag. CDG/DUB/Hawaii ops aren’t set up for it, and for some reason, not allowed on domestic legs (eg: YYC-YYZ).
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
To clarify, the person in the image was not crew. It was a fare paying passenger.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
This weeks winner of the WestJet Carry-on challenge is.....

I suppose the extra bags are understandable, as she appears to be wearing a bath robe. Did she have the fluffy slippers too?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Symmetre
I suppose the extra bags are understandable, as she appears to be wearing a bath robe. Did she have the fluffy slippers too?
Didn't notice - but she probably has a spare pair in the (out of shot) backpack she was carrying.
Symmetre likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Must have been an early morning flight. That would have been an interesting encounter at security when asked to remove all coats.
Symmetre likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:51 am

Perhaps the owl tote bag counted as an emotional support carry-on?
YYCguy and Symmetre like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta
Whew...

Thank you! This has been super helpful. My first flight on WJ is next week and I was worrying over a bag that is 0.5 (21.5 inches instead of 21) inches over the guidelines. I will be in compliance in every other way.

If the pictures here are any indication this shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for a good laugh and a sense of relief.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carriex3
Thank you! This has been super helpful. My first flight on WJ is next week and I was worrying over a bag that is 0.5 (21.5 inches instead of 21) inches over the guidelines. I will be in compliance in every other way.

If the pictures here are any indication this shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for a good laugh and a sense of relief.
Happy to be of service.

A mere half inch over the carry-on size limit will raise zero eyebrows. A foot or two, maybe...just maybe.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:59 am

I've a Patagonia 60L duffel which when full measures 26.7-15.7-11.8" per the website. it wont be full. I've heard 60L duffels have been carried on before by various people but wanted to get the opinion of the group. (first post btw!) will be flying from Kamloops to Honolulu.
my bag I use for business trips is approx 21.6-13.8-11, and I know this has never had an issue. I was hoping to bring the duffel because this isn't a business trip.

Any concerns? should be able to get up top on both the short haul and the long haul? Leaving on Sunday. Thanks!
Old Feb 8, 2020, 7:47 am
Original Poster

This is what WestJet Say:
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...ggage/carry-on

Their practice is not to enforce wither by size or number of carry-ons. See Post #1 for how I feel about this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:55 am

This is what WestJet Say:
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...ggage/carry-on

Their practice is not to enforce wither by size or number of carry-ons. See Post #1 for how I feel about this.
I am going to disagree with you, often time their customer service agents are task saturated and understaffed when boarding flights and sometimes carryon checks get missed, especially the cabin crew . They very much do enforce the carry on rules, but sensors sometimes miss things. Human error. It so very easy to blame the employees when you are the passenger sitting there doing nothing and passing judgement.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:51 am

just spoke to Westjet and apparently my flight has been changed with the whole 737 Max situation. talked to her about bags and it sounds like I should be good with taking 2 carryons: my 21" suitcase I mentioned is more business-y and I have a small gym bag. Extra bag underneath will be 60-71 for the trip. She also attached my WJ rewards number to the trip as well as giving me the new flight info and confirming transfers and hotel, because the original itinerary I got from WJ Vacations did not make any mention of transfers and hotel, which I thought was weird.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.