Wiki Posts
Search

Carry - On

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
Someone really failed at their job on that flight. I think the biggest issue is that the dog should have been in their carrier prior to boarding. Pets in the cabin have to be in their carrier if I'm not mistaken unless of course it is a service animal.
This was just one passenger. There were plenty of other over-limit offenders. There was the U Regina Hockey team on the same flight, all with waaaayy too much carry on: very large gym bag, big backpack which in my opinion (and I think I may be better than a novice at assessing these things) would not have fit into the sizer. Plus numerous other people with in the "three pieces" category.

Didn't mention this before but one passenger was booted off the plane after an altercation with an FA about something (not sure what). After s/he'd gone it was noted that they had to remove four pieces of carry on.

So just on that one flight there were multiple people that were massively over the limit. And there was what seemed to me as ZERO enforcement of WS rules by WS staff.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYCguy
Correct. If not a service/emotional support animal, then the pet must be kennelled. And a kennel is counted as the carry on. Strange that the excess items were flagged at any previous stage because that’s so obviously way too much carry on.
Definitely no kennel/crate. The dog was walking.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Nov. 27. This individual was in the first row of premium. Against the bulkhead so no seat in front to put things under. One monstrously overstuffed roll-aboard, an equally capacious shoulder bag full of binders (so much so that that it wouldn't close) and a knapsack with boots in it. Very clearly over the limits (both in size of carry-on and number of items) and no-one said anything.

Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

I think we have a winner:

WS 719 this evening. Quite the effort. I count four pieces including the shoulder bag.

Last edited by Frequentlander; Nov 29, 2018 at 11:35 pm Reason: spelling
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:05 am

Hopefully the cabin crew will catch it as the guest approaches her seat.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYCguy
Hopefully the cabin crew will catch it as the guest approaches her seat.
She'd just walked past 3 FAs and they just let it slide.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Then you board later after rushing to make the connection, open the bin over YOUR seat and it's jammed full, the next bin, the next bin.....arrggg!!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
Someone really failed at their job on that flight. I think the biggest issue is that the dog should have been in their carrier prior to boarding. Pets in the cabin have to be in their carrier if I'm not mistaken unless of course it is a service animal.
Perhaps a silly question (especially from a person who does not have a furry family member), but it you run out of space in the cabin can you gate check the dog?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:15 am

No. A piece of luggage would have to be checked instead.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
I think we have a winner:

WS 719 this evening. Quite the effort. I count four pieces including the shoulder bag.
That is just insane. I'm all for a little wiggle room (ie. an expanded brief as a personal item that still fits under the seat), but this is unacceptable. I realize Westjet doesn't want to harass pax and confront people at the gate, but at some point, they have to set limits.
YYCguy likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nave888
That is just insane. I'm all for a little wiggle room (ie. an expanded brief as a personal item that still fits under the seat), but this is unacceptable. I realize Westjet doesn't want to harass pax and confront people at the gate, but at some point, they have to set limits.
Enforcing clear rules is not harassment.
YYCguy likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Enforcing clear rules is not harassment.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I just mean that sizing/enforcing carry ons likely isn't fun for anyone involved - GAs have to deal with pax who will likely be annoyed and complain about it, and pax have to deal with GAs that are enforcing rules and forcing bags, that have probably been "fine" many times, be checked. In cases where a bag is a bit too big, for example, I don't think its worth it to crack down, but when someone is so clearly violating the rules, I think they should. Thats all I meant.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Todays Winner.
Full hockey bag and big backpack on a Q400

Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Wow! Would that sucker even fit in a Q400 bin, or did he have to gate check it anyway?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Wow! Would that sucker even fit in a Q400 bin, or did he have to gate check it anyway?
Nope. This all (somehow) went inside the cabin. Nothing was gate checked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.