Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry - On

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 7:02 pm

I actually flew from LAS-YYZ last week, and had a bigger Hershel backpack and a carry-on. While adding my KTN/NEXUS for PreCheck, one counter agent was really enforcing carry-on sizing. My two Carry-ons that fit both AC's and United's sizers, I find the sizers at LAS that WestJet uses are a little tight compared to the ones used by AC/UA that have one inch of forgiveness. They're also inefficient as the wheels get stuck.

This agent was quite strict about needing it to fit into the sizer, but wasn't so strict about my obviously oversized personal item (backpack filled with snacks)?

Ended up gate checking my carry-on's anyways. I know they are contracted out, but the counter agent I had at LAS was pretty rude about the whole ordeal.

WJ should really follow United's way and have sizers at the gate and announce that those who do not have their bags fit, either gate check or be charged... and also have better sizers that aren't so cumbersome to use.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
They are extremely strict at LAS. I generally get a friend to hold my bag. Last time I was alone, and had to lie to the guy. Told him I was just holding it for a friend while he went to the washroom and that I didnt have any carryon.
Old May 2, 2016, 11:38 pm

Yeah... this counter agent at LAS demanded that even though I would have my boarding pass re-printed after adding my KTN/Nexus... that I first needed to print the boarding pass with the kiosk first even though I did a OLCI and had the pdf of the boarding pass on my phone. Then she insisted that I stick my checked baggage tags on the kiosk printed BP's even though they would be discarded. This was after the fact that she said I was sticking on the luggage tags on wrong even though I was not and did not apologize, she did not bother to help either, just acted as a supervisor.

Then my softsided carry-on was about .25 inch too thick for the sizer due to a couple magazines, so she made me take them out... I moved them to my partners hard sided, and then she mumbled "ohh, you're just gonna move to the other carry on then". And she then proceeded to make me size both carry-ons with the sizer. -_-

Sorry I just needed to rant. :P I guess just watch out at LAS and say its a friends bag? :P
Old May 3, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
I think this has become a much bigger issue since the Q400s joined the fleet, and wonder what its like on the 763s with small bins?

The 737 bins are spacious, but the Q400s are unforgiving - every Q400 flight I've been on with encore has had at least one gate check recently. The bags are always these enormous ones that anyone could easily spot at the gate, but somehow, they get on. I don't think Westjet needs to be like AC and crack the whip, but eyeballing bags to spot the clearly oversized ones should be a regular occurrence. The bins can take a 22X16X10, so over Westjet's limits, but once you go bigger than that (esp. depth), you're in trouble, and these bags are usually easy to spot (fully expanded, bulging, clearly over-packed).

Personal items, I find, aren't the problem. People just tend to put them in the bins, which is a pain.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Q400 Plane-side Bag Drop?

I flew 2 Encore Q400 flight this week and in both cases there were people bringing bags on that were too big for the overhead bins (see multiple previous posts).

I fly a lot of Q400 and ATR type aircraft (and smaller) that are very limited for cabin space and in the vast majority of cases the airlines allow passengers to drop bags onto a cart before they board the plane. After the flight the passengers de-plane and the carry on is loaded onto a cart for the passengers to collect before everyone heads into the terminal. In poor weather, passengers can sit in the plane until the bags are on the cart.

I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. A good example is Horizons "A-la carte".

Are there any plans for Encore to start doing this? It would certainly alleviate some of the pressures on passengers and cabin staff trying to cram a set of encyclopedias and a full hockey bag into the overhead bin of a Q400.

It would allow me for one to standardize on weather I check a bag. My carry on is fine for a 737 but too big (at least I think so) for a Q400 so weather I spend the time to go to a terminal in the airport get a baggage tag and drop a bag depends on if there is a Q400 on the itinerary. Having an "A-la carte" type service would allow me not to check a bag for the majority of my WS travel.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by nave888
...wonder what its like on the 763s with small bins?
The centre bins don't generally fit a normal sized rolly bag. The side bins sometimes fit two rolly bags sideways with the wheels touching each other. The centre bins are perfect for backpacks, and the odd narrow small rolly bag.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
How aggressive is WS with respect to carry-on bag size, and do they give any slack for Gold status members (received through a status match)?

I have a YEG-OGG flight coming up with the family. Would probably have gone with AC if service from YEG was non-stop and non-rouge, but the direct flight was too enticing. We'll have plenty of free checked luggage allowance available, but I am wanting to bring along my B&R roller which is 22" rather than the 21" officially allowed by WS. I've never had trouble with it on AC and I think my SE tag keeps the GA's from asking for measurements. I don't overstuff it, but will have items that I don't want to check underneath the plane. I could take multiple smaller bags, but prefer keeping everything together in a single unit to ease passage through the airport. Any recent experience on this front?
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by YEGAccountant
How aggressive is WS with respect to carry-on bag size, and do they give any slack for Gold status members (received through a status match)?

I have a YEG-OGG flight coming up with the family. Would probably have gone with AC if service from YEG was non-stop and non-rouge, but the direct flight was too enticing. We'll have plenty of free checked luggage allowance available, but I am wanting to bring along my B&R roller which is 22" rather than the 21" officially allowed by WS. I've never had trouble with it on AC and I think my SE tag keeps the GA's from asking for measurements. I don't overstuff it, but will have items that I don't want to check underneath the plane. I could take multiple smaller bags, but prefer keeping everything together in a single unit to ease passage through the airport. Any recent experience on this front?
From what I've seen, anything up to and including a dumpster is fine with Westjet.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
From what I've seen, anything up to and including a dumpster is fine with Westjet.
Agreed. The only time I have had problems is departing LAS.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:07 pm

You could just take smaller carry-on bag... If you're checking bags anyway...
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
I just took the 767 from YYC to OGG on Saturday. The overhead bins are a bit different from the 737's...any roll aboards need to fit sideways in the overhead compartment above the window seats, even my 20" briggs and reilly didn't fit in wheels first. The center seat bins wont even fit a roll aboard carryon unless it's rather skinny (I tried), though I managed to fit my large briefcase bag without problem in one of those bins.

I gotta say that service on my flight in Plus (row 1 H&K) was absolutely fantastic! Great crew, very attentive, made the extra couple hundred I spent worthwhile, and having a free companion ticket because of gold status even more so! ^
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Arthurrs
I just took the 767 from YYC to OGG on Saturday. The overhead bins are a bit different from the 737's...any roll aboards need to fit sideways in the overhead compartment above the window seats, even my 20" briggs and reilly didn't fit in wheels first. The center seat bins wont even fit a roll aboard carryon unless it's rather skinny (I tried), though I managed to fit my large briefcase bag without problem in one of those bins.

I gotta say that service on my flight in Plus (row 1 H&K) was absolutely fantastic! Great crew, very attentive, made the extra couple hundred I spent worthwhile, and having a free companion ticket because of gold status even more so! ^
763s are well known for their smaller overhead bins. The bins on the outsides are a touch larger than the overheads in the center, but not by much. I also have a standard 20-inch B&R bag that will only fit sideways in the 763 (and not at all in the center bins), but fits no problem in any other aircraft (Q400 and regional jets excepted).

The 763 is a great jet though. I've seen one or two that have been refurbished with larger 777-style bins retrofitted, but I imagine that must be a fairly expensive proposition. As WestJet builds its international routes I imagine the plan is to go with 777s, 788s or 789s, all of which have much larger bins reflecting today's travel preferences. I'm looking forward to it, because I hate being one of those people who have to stuff their bag in sideways on the '67.

Last edited by Symmetre; Mar 13, 2017 at 2:00 pm
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: E50K, *Gold, WS Gold,VIA Premier, VIPorter
Originally Posted by YEGAccountant

Way there it should be no problem. On your way back OGG is one station (and HNL) where they often measure and weigh your bags...
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
At YYJ a few years ago I looked on in awe as this guy first got through security with a full hockey bag, then got past the gate agent with a full hockey bag and then boarded and took up an entire bin with the said hockey bag.

The flight attendant sort of condescendingly told him off for it and asked if he was dating the gate agent, but otherwise didn't do anything about it.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
[QUOTE=Frequentlander;2715349 My carry on is fine for a 737 but too big (at least I think so) for a Q400 so weather I spend the time to go to a terminal in the airport get a baggage tag and drop a bag depends on if there is a Q400 on the itinerary. Having an "A-la carte" type service would allow me not to check a bag for the majority of my WS travel.[/QUOTE]

I was unknowingly Encore'd on yesterday's flight . Originally booked as flight 186 then it was changed to flight 3170. I notice now my reminder email had the new flight number on it but didn't clue in until I got on the plane.

I have the same situation with my carry-on fitting inside a 737 bin but not on a Q400. Unfortunately this was on the return flight and it was full. I managed to jam my bag under the seat where it stuck out into my foot space.

We were given the option the option of free gate checking. The next time I here that announcement and notice a change in flight number I will gate check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.