Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry - On

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
My recent experience with WS on the Q400 and B738 is that they make multiple announcements warning you about sizing of carry-on, must fit the sizers, check them now for free, etc, etc, and then when you board they don't bother you at all. I also find that on the YVR-OGG route there is lots of bin space because there are few business travelers and most leisure pax check bags anyway.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Exactly the same....

...on PHX-YYZ this weekend.
Announcement...hardly anyone pays attention takes advantage, no one makes any effort a enforcement....which was a good thing as no one had to have their bags taken off to be loaded in cargo. Bins were more than sufficient to handle the overhead even on a full flight.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: AC SE 100K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the input - I am bringing two large checked bags as well but I'll give it a shot with my 22". Don't want to use my smaller carry-on as I can easily pack a suit. I have 6 tickets booked and 4 of those are little ones who won't have any carry-on so I think I should be entitled to a full bin. :-)
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
The issue of carry-on still seems to be a problem. I just did three 737 flights in two days. There was literally no policing of carry on at the gate other than an announcement that "this is a very full flight and we are looking for passengers to check their carry-on".

On one of the flights, a passenger got on with:
Dog
Big purse
Big backpack
Big Rollaboard (I'd bet anyone with real money that it wouldn't fit in the sizer)
And of course she had a huge Starbucks in one hand and a dog leash in the other (no she wasn't carrying the dog). She was so burdened by all this stuff could only just get down the aisle.

Several passengers got on with three bags or more. Nobody seemed to mind, until of course the bins were full then they has do start putting bags in the hold.

To me, this seems like it would be a really easy problem to fix but for whatever reason, WS seem very reluctant to enforce their own rules.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Very much agreed that it’s an issue!

And, yes, WestJet needs to do something

The challenge is that any kind of enforcement really turns your front line customer service people into, well, “enforcers”. It’s a tough situation to put them in, and probably makes nobody happy. I recall a few years ago when AC had a big push on enforcing carry-on limits and sizes ... I saw countless arguments and PO’d passengers. (They were in the wrong. Nevertheless, no organization wants to PO their customers.)

And what makes it tough for every airline is lack of consistent enforcement. “I’ve never been told it’s too big before! It’s always been fine whenever I’ve flown with you before” becomes the constant refrain.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Very much agreed that it’s an issue!

And, yes, WestJet needs to do something

The challenge is that any kind of enforcement really turns your front line customer service people into, well, “enforcers”. It’s a tough situation to put them in, and probably makes nobody happy. I recall a few years ago when AC had a big push on enforcing carry-on limits and sizes ... I saw countless arguments and PO’d passengers. (They were in the wrong. Nevertheless, no organization wants to PO their customers.)

And what makes it tough for every airline is lack of consistent enforcement. “I’ve never been told it’s too big before! It’s always been fine whenever I’ve flown with you before” becomes the constant refrain.
Yes, people will always push the boundaries. With WestJet there seem to be no boundaries.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Yes, people will always push the boundaries. With WestJet there seem to be no boundaries.
I would disagree. WestJet has clearly made a choice to deal with it when it becomes a real problem. That is when all the big spaces are full. Enforcing rules about putting bags in the checked baggage stream is a make work exercise on flights where it is not a problem.

What would be a middle ground is to lightly enforce the rules pre-boarding on flights where it is clear there is a problem. They do the free gate check thing from time to time.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
I've noticed just lately in the US that TSA is not allowing over size carry-on to even go through security. That's a good place to stop this!! If you get denied TSA and you have to go back and check your baggage I can assure you you won't try it again. If it doesn't fit at the security checkpoint your not going through security
Old Nov 24, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, West Jet rewards
This issue is one of the reasons I value Gold status. I get on first, put my "within guideline" folding suitcase in the overhead which fits just fine, put my computer bag under the seat in front of me and then sit back and watch the circus. I've resigned myself to the fact that most of my flights will be delayed for one reason or another and that WestJet doesn't have the guts to stand up to passengers who blatantly abuse guidelines and rules.
As a business traveler, I was hoping there would be a larger fare difference between WS and Swoop, expecting some sanity to return to flying as it's starting to feel like I'm traveling in a greyhound bus at 26k ft.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by westcanguy
This issue is one of the reasons I value Gold status. I get on first, put my "within guideline" folding suitcase in the overhead which fits just fine, put my computer bag under the seat in front of me and then sit back and watch the circus. I've resigned myself to the fact that most of my flights will be delayed for one reason or another and that WestJet doesn't have the guts to stand up to passengers who blatantly abuse guidelines and rules.
As a business traveler, I was hoping there would be a larger fare difference between WS and Swoop, expecting some sanity to return to flying as it's starting to feel like I'm traveling in a greyhound bus at 26k ft.
I would love to fly on a Greyhound bus at 26k. They have fluffy seats, leg room and are usually almost empty.

I don't think it is a matter of WS not having the guts. I think it comes comes down to what is the point.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:10 am

I just found out when I tried to book flights on Porter that they now also offer a Basic Economy option, which allows no carry on bags, only a personal item of 17x13x6 inches. Unlike Swoop, Porter is a "full-service" airline and yet the sky hasn't fallen with this restriction.

I too have been amazed and gotten tired of the amount of stuff Westjet passengers try to bring on board, it really does delay boarding as well as getting off the plane. If Westjet had a similar restriction it would essentially solve the problem.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freeflyer
I just found out when I tried to book flights on Porter that they now also offer a Basic Economy option, which allows no carry on bags, only a personal item of 17x13x6 inches. Unlike Swoop, Porter is a "full-service" airline and yet the sky hasn't fallen with this restriction.

I too have been amazed and gotten tired of the amount of stuff Westjet passengers try to bring on board, it really does delay boarding as well as getting off the plane. If Westjet had a similar restriction it would essentially solve the problem.
WestJet do have "restrictions". They just don't enforce them.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
WestJet do have "restrictions". They just don't enforce them.
If security sends you back to the "bag check counter" because you have too many or oversize then pax/guests will clue in that rolling the dice get all your stuff onboard is not worth the risk.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:43 am

The issue of carry-on still seems to be a problem. I just did three 737 flights in two days. There was literally no policing of carry on at the gate other than an announcement that "this is a very full flight and we are looking for passengers to check their carry-on".

On one of the flights, a passenger got on with:
Dog
Big purse
Big backpack
Big Rollaboard (I'd bet anyone with real money that it wouldn't fit in the sizer)
And of course she had a huge Starbucks in one hand and a dog leash in the other (no she wasn't carrying the dog). She was so burdened by all this stuff could only just get down the aisle.

Several passengers got on with three bags or more. Nobody seemed to mind, until of course the bins were full then they has do start putting bags in the hold.

To me, this seems like it would be a really easy problem to fix but for whatever reason, WS seem very reluctant to enforce their own rules.
Someone really failed at their job on that flight. I think the biggest issue is that the dog should have been in their carrier prior to boarding. Pets in the cabin have to be in their carrier if I'm not mistaken unless of course it is a service animal.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:28 am

Correct. If not a service/emotional support animal, then the pet must be kennelled. And a kennel is counted as the carry on. Strange that the excess items were flagged at any previous stage because that’s so obviously way too much carry on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.