PDX "Free Time"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PDX "Free Time"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2013, 2:12 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL DM
I live one block from Klickitat St. It's 8 minutes from the airport by cab/car. If your time here is short you cannot rely on public transportation to get anywhere in 4 1/2 hours. With a day & 1/2 maybe you could.

So:
1. Hollywood library (Tillamook near 41st Ave) has a Beverly Cleary map.
2. Powell's Books on 10th & Burnside downtown. Best bookstore in the world.
3. Classical Chinese Garden downtown.
4. Vaux's swifts. Thousands of these birds fly into the chimney of Chapman School every evening at sunset in September, like a feathered reverse tornado. People bring picnics to the lawn to watch them. Come early, not a lot of parking, but there is nothing like it.
5. Beer. Especially Hopworks or other microbreweries.
6. Wine. In Portland, this means the Hollywood Fred Meyer's or Vinopolis, which is downtown, on Washington, near Powell's. If you have a car and a day and you like pinot, drive south to the area around McMinnville. (This is near Yamhill, if you're an intense Cleary fan.) Better pinot than California, at lower prices. There's an excellent PBS documentary about Oregon pinot noir.
7. Food carts. Haut cuisine as inexpensive take away.
8. Olympic Provisions for charcuterie or a sit-down meal with good wine.
9. Waterfalls area of the gorge is an hour's drive east of town. They're beautiful, but this is not the best time of year to see them. Lowest water of the year.
10. Laurelhurst Theater. Old movies, good pizza, great beer.

Before you come, watch Portlandia or Grimm, or read part of Ursula LeGuin's Searoads:Tales of Klatsand.

I'm not a big voodoo doughnuts fan; they're very sweet, but many people love them.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:10 am

Programs: DL GM
PDX "Free Time"

I don't think anyone mentioned pine state biscuits, but their breakfast was pretty amazing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.