Search

Hotel Review: Black Hills Mile Hi Motel- Custer, SD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2012, 8:19 am
Formerly known as MLW20
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT GOLD, Delta, UA/Continental & many others
Hotel Review: Black Hills Mile Hi Motel- Custer, SD

While planning out where to stay in South Dakota Kim and I had a couple of options. We could book hotels in Rapid City for the entire trip or stay in various areas to save ourselves time from driving back and forth each day.

We went with the option of switching hotels almost every day.

One of the top places we wanted to visit on our trip to South Dakota was Custer State Park. The South Dakota Tourism Board had mentioned visiting the park early in the morning for prime wildlife viewing. We didn't want to stay in Rapid City and first have to make the one hour drive early in the morning so we decided to find a hotel in Custer, SD- about 15-20 minutes from the park.

There weren't many great options close to the park. We considered staying at a lodge in the park but there was no availability for the dates we needed. We went over to TripAdvisor and came across the Black Hills Mile Hi Motel. The motel was in a good location, inexpensive and had pretty solid reviews.

When we got to our room, it was pretty much what we expected- a small, clean room. For the price of around $65 it was worth what we were paying.

When I thought about the size of the room, I was pretty impressed with the amenities. We got some use out of the mini-fridge, there was a decent-sized flat screen television and they were smart enough to turn an area that was pretty much dead space into a little work area.

The only problem that I had with the room was the shower. After getting out of the shower, you are pretty much guaranteed a wet floor. Luckily there were extra towels in the room to help with this problem.

If you plan on visiting Custer, South Dakota and need an inexpensive place to stay, I'd definitely recommend the Black Hills Mile Hi Motel.

Info:
Address: 244 Mount Rushmore Road Custer, SD
Phone # 1-800-964-5344
Check out the Mile Hi Motel online HERE

Last edited by cblaisd; Aug 4, 2012 at 10:23 am Reason: Removed blog-flogging link. Please stop using FT to drive traffic to your blog
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:07 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the thread on its move to the Destinations->West forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Thanks for the information. Have you considered posting this on Trip Advisor - it is exactly the kind of information that would be very useful for people visiting the area and would get much more visibility on that site. ^
Old Aug 6, 2012, 4:34 am
Formerly known as MLW20
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JerryFF
Thanks for the information. Have you considered posting this on Trip Advisor - it is exactly the kind of information that would be very useful for people visiting the area and would get much more visibility on that site. ^
I did submit it there also!
Old Aug 25, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Earlier this summer, they had a sign out touting their rewards program:

Join the Mile-Hi Club Today!

I wish I'd stopped to take a picture.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 5:08 pm
Formerly known as MLW20
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
Earlier this summer, they had a sign out touting their rewards program:

I wish I'd stopped to take a picture.
That would've been awesome! lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.