Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PDX "Free Time"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Labflyer
Stop by voodoo doughnuts. They are, by far, the best thing I have ever eaten in my life.
Voodoo Doughnuts is a tourist trap.

Originally Posted by HongKonger
I know this is dorky, but do I have time to see the homages to Beverly Clearly in the area around Klickitat Street/Grant Park? On Google Maps it doesn't seem very far.
It's about a mile north of the 42nd/Hollywood MAX stop. You could probably swing it, but I wouldn't do it. The airport is a great place to spend some time, IMO. Good restaurants and decent (tax free) shopping.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL GM
Perhaps we should discuss what we mean by "interesting."
Swedish Meatballs and Lingonberry soda are always interesting.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
Originally Posted by gloobnib

Maybe I'm exposing too much of my geek side, but...

If you grew up in 80's and are looking for a bit of nostalgia, visit Ground Kontrol Classic Arcade downtown. It is a classic arcade with 100+ video games (many classics) and 25+ pinball machines. *And* its a bar that has drinks like "Mariogarita, Punch-Out, and Martian Attack".

Games run on quarters and every one I tried was in working order. Bar runs on credit cards.

I make sure to stop by every time I am in town.
Great suggestion! I love this place!!
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
Originally Posted by QueerEyeForDelta
Don't even tell me the first best thing you've eaten are fish tacos. Yuck!
If that's what you want to call it. I understand it's not your bag and that's cool.
I think the best fish tacos in Portland are at Por Que No? on Mississippi Ave.

To the OP, Mississippi Ave is a cool alternative type place to hang out in Portland. It's about 5 blocks long and is in a neighborhood experiencing a lot of gentrification. See it now before yuppies with baby strollers move in.

Last edited by FitTraveler; Aug 29, 2013 at 7:48 pm
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Originally Posted by FitTraveler
See it now before yuppies with baby strollers move in.
They are not yuppies, but the d-bag hipsters. Portland is chock full of them. And they are already on Mississippi.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SP Plat, Hilton Gold
PDX "Free Time"

Just my $.02: ditch the car. Great rail system right from the airport, and Portland is a nice walking town.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Quote:

Originally Posted by Labflyer

Stop by voodoo doughnuts. They are, by far, the best thing I have ever eaten in my life.

Voodoo Doughnuts is a tourist trap.

Quote:

I know this is dorky, but do I have time to see the homages to Beverly Clearly in the area around Klickitat Street/Grant Park? On Google Maps it doesn't seem very far.

It's about a mile north of the 42nd/Hollywood MAX stop. You could probably swing it, but I wouldn't do it. The airport is a great place to spend some time, IMO. Good restaurants and decent (tax free) shopping.
Would a taxi be faster? Possible to get one easily at airport?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sandflyer
Quote:

Perhaps we should discuss what we mean by "interesting."

Swedish Meatballs and Lingonberry soda are always interesting.
Agreed. Especially when the meatballs are made of horse meat.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
They are not yuppies, but the d-bag hipsters. Portland is chock full of them. And they are already on Mississippi.
Sorry if I used an outdated term... yuppies were today's d-bag hipsters.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL DM
Powell's Bookstore is a must see for any physical book lover. And Voodoo Donuts may be touristy, but the donuts are interesting and great, and the people watching is worth the trip. And hey, if you're already at Voodoo, you might as well check out Paris Theater next door. Nuff said.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FitTraveler
Quote:

Originally Posted by RacingJunkie

Sorry if I used an outdated term... yuppies were today's d-bag hipsters.
Either way they are the DYKWIAs of urban living.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:36 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by koreanair720
Two words: Mary's Club.*

*(two more words: just kidding!)
Originally Posted by 355F1
Portland also has the most strip clubs per capita in the US.

Oregon is also one of the few states to serve full alcohol WITH FULL NUDITY....

Drink up....Stars & The Dolphin have the best looking gals...
Since the OP has a car, going to the Acropolis (in Milwaukie) is possible, especially during happy hour when any of the 65 beers on tap are $3. The beef is supposedly grass fed and comes from the owner's personal herd, which explains why almost everything is half the price of restaurants without nudity. A lot of women eat at Portland's strip clubs, which surprises many first time visitors.

On the Washington side, Fort Vancouver is a cool place to visit. There is also a Total Wine which has a huge selection of Washington and Oregon wines, microbrews, and liquors at good prices.

If you want to stay in Portland itself, a car is not necessary.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 3:52 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
On the Washington side, Fort Vancouver is a cool place to visit. There is also a Total Wine which has a huge selection of Washington and Oregon wines, microbrews, and liquors at good prices.
Absolutely. And if you go to Fort Vancouver have a meal at Lapellah's, which is one of Portland's better (but not hugely pricey) restaurants--it just happens to be across the river from Portland. Great, and reasonably priced, wine list here as well.

As for Voodoo, it really isn't unlike a decent donut shot anywhere else, just that they put their donuts into erotic shapes or add bacon to them. If you like donuts as much as I do you may find it all pretty familiar. I've had better, fresher bacon and maple donuts elsewhere, even if Voodoo invented them.

If you do go, though, definitely go next door to Stumptown Coffee. On average I think it's the best high-end coffee place in the States (looking at you, Blue Bottle / Intelligentsia).
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Either way they are the DYKWIAs of urban living.
I actually thing the d-bag hipsters are worse... while the yuppies were obnoxious, most of them were at least intelligent and had skilled jobs. A lot of the hipsters now are lazy and have a sense of entitlement that they are owed something from everyone else.

Oregon and Portland area is nice to visit since you can ignore them for some amount of time, but wouldn't want to live there unless its out in the stix
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by rylan
I actually thing the d-bag hipsters are worse... while the yuppies were obnoxious, most of them were at least intelligent and had skilled jobs. A lot of the hipsters now are lazy and have a sense of entitlement that they are owed something from everyone else.

Oregon and Portland area is nice to visit since you can ignore them for some amount of time, but wouldn't want to live there unless its out in the stix
I would actually rather live in Canada/HK than the US.
(That doesn't mean I never want to visit there/work there for short periods of time.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.