Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

PDX "Free Time"

PDX "Free Time"

Old Aug 28, 2013, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1st Class Only
PDX "Free Time"

Flying into PDX on 9/7 arriving on Delta about 1pm. Staying downtown. Have car. Looking for 'what to do' suggestions for that afternoon and all day Sunday, 9/8?
Old Aug 28, 2013, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by mesabadad
Flying into PDX on 9/7 arriving on Delta about 1pm. Staying downtown. Have car. Looking for 'what to do' suggestions for that afternoon and all day Sunday, 9/8?
As this forum is DL-specific, you may want to look here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west-456/

Includes:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/...ts-thread.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/...d-airport.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/...nd-oregon.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/...on-advice.html

If you like books, Powell's Books is popular - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19968316-post22.html
Old Aug 28, 2013, 3:18 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Plenty to do if you enjoy outdoor activities. Nice drive out to the gorge and hike the falls, or hang in town. Go down to McMinnville to the Air/space museum.

Give us some ideas of what you enjoy doing.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 3:20 pm

Go shopping! No sales tax.

Old Aug 28, 2013, 3:31 pm

The Air/Space musem is great, but the wine valley traffic may be a bit of a challenge. I would definitely agree about going out to the gorge to see the various waterfalls, especially Multnomah. That is all on the airport side of town, so you might want to schedule accordingly. And in the other direction, of course there's the beach. But Portland itself has lots to offer in terms of restaurants, museums, gardens etc. There is plenty to do, and 1.5 days will hardly scratch the surface.. Have a great time.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Eat at Grners. Have coffee at Stumptown. Eat at Nostrano or Le Pigeon. Spend hours at Powell's. Go to wine country if you're into jammy, boozy reds. With your car go into the gorge or to Mount Hood.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 3:52 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
If you like seafood...there is no better restaurant in the entire world for food, service, atmosphere, and fun...than Jake's Famous Crawfish. 12th & Stark downtown.

PM me if you'd like and I will get your name to the right people for an even greater experience.

Just went there Sat and Mon night for dinner...LoL....I moved from Portland two years ago....but when I did live there I ate there a couple times per week.

Oh....and Blue Star for donuts; it's a block away from Jake's.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Nexus, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5 Star
Stop by voodoo doughnuts. They are, by far, the best thing I have ever eaten in my life.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 4:27 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Labflyer
Stop by voodoo doughnuts. They are, by far, the best thing I have ever eaten in my life.
I too used to think this....until Blue Star recently opened....
Old Aug 28, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Two words: Mary's Club.*

*(two more words: just kidding!)
Old Aug 28, 2013, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
When you get to the hotel, take a walk to Hubers downtown for the best Spanish Coffee ever. Even great iced.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glbl, Marriott Lftm Plat, National EE
Maybe I'm exposing too much of my geek side, but...

If you grew up in 80's and are looking for a bit of nostalgia, visit Ground Kontrol Classic Arcade downtown. It is a classic arcade with 100+ video games (many classics) and 25+ pinball machines. *And* its a bar that has drinks like "Mariogarita, Punch-Out, and Martian Attack".

Games run on quarters and every one I tried was in working order. Bar runs on credit cards.

I make sure to stop by every time I am in town.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL
enjoy!

Zoo. Rose Garden. Japanese Garden. Beer (and lots of it), but leave the car at the hotel. Take the (nearly) free transit and enjoy the company of some strange but harmless folks!
Old Aug 28, 2013, 6:32 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Powell's Books. Beer. Pinot Noir.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Labflyer
This.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.