Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Places to eat dinner near Portland Airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2013, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

I have a quick 24-hour trip to Vancouver, WA, next week. Will be staying at Airport Springhill Suites. Will not have car. Meeting client for dinner. Think client will be staying at same hotel. Are there any restaurants near the airport or on-site at airport we could do dinner? Any input appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Yikes. That whole area is pretty much chain restaurant central. Even the whole Cascade Station complex that has the Target, Ikea, etc. is the same way too. If I had to pick a place to dine at in that area, I would probably elect to dine at Stanford's inside the airport. I would say it's your least worst option, as opposed to something to be actively looking forward to.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Hmm, not sounding good. There's an airport Sheraton which has a restaurant on-site. Could potentially go there. It doesn't look super fancy, but looks better than Stanford's or the Cascades fast food places.

How long does it take to get from PDX to downtown Portland on the Max/what time does it stop running, if we decided to go into the city for dinner? And if we did, are there any decent restaurants that are near a Max stop downtown?

Cheers.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
How long does it take to get from PDX to downtown Portland on the Max/what time does it stop running, if we decided to go into the city for dinner?
You'll find the MAX Red Line schedules here. While there are great neighbourhoods and restaurants on the east side of Portland, they are not easily accessible only using MAX. In your case, I'd recommend the thirty-eight minute ride downtown and having dinner there. It looks like the last MAX train back out to the airport leaves the Pioneer Square station at 10:30 on weeknights.

And if we did, are there any decent restaurants that are near a Max stop downtown?
I think any of the MAX stops downtown would be fine, depending on how comfortable you and your companion are with walking. Portland's a perfectly safe place to be walking but I could see people being intimidated by the Skidmore Fountain stop, which is under a bridge and near a few homeless shelters. So, I'd recommend Pioneer Square.

Some good/popular places within walking distance:
Clyde Common
Little Bird
Lardo (You'll want the Westside one)
Grüner
Tasty and Alder
Higgins
etc.

If you're looking for a specific type of cuisine, feel free to ask.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
The restaurant inside the Sheraton (Columbia River Grill?) is actually not bad at all. See if the shuttle from the Springhill Suites will take you there.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Could you switch hotels???

Thhe hotel strip hotels are just fast food places

By Ikea and cascade station there is a large plaza with a few other food places. , easy sit own places , I think one is a taco del mar or chipotle grill. A few hotels have restaurant

One I suggest is the raddison. Restaurant is good..manly a steak and seafood lace.

Over in Vancouver, wa there is hotel along Columbia rive, home wood suite ( think there is a shuttle). ...across the street there are a couple of restaurants...mcmenamens and beaches.

Other option is as others said you can use airport shuttle to the red line and then go ino the. City.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Hmm, not sounding good. There's an airport Sheraton which has a restaurant on-site. Could potentially go there. It doesn't look super fancy, but looks better than Stanford's or the Cascades fast food places.

How long does it take to get from PDX to downtown Portland on the Max/what time does it stop running, if we decided to go into the city for dinner? And if we did, are there any decent restaurants that are near a Max stop downtown?

Cheers.
The red line shuts down around 10 pm....last time I checked bile the rest of the system still rns so you could take the train to another station hen takeaway cab.

PDX t downtown involves a transfer. Train ride about 20 minutes plus 5-15 for transfer.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by djp98374
The red line shuts down around 10 pm....last time I checked bile the rest of the system still rns so you could take the train to another station hen takeaway cab.

PDX t downtown involves a transfer. Train ride about 20 minutes plus 5-15 for transfer.
What transfer? The Red Line is direct from the airport to downtown. And the link I posted above (from Tri-Met's website) shows a 10:30pm last train from Pioneer Square.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:30 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
The restaurant at the Embassy Suites at PDX is surprisingly decent.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
What transfer? The Red Line is direct from the airport to downtown. And the link I posted above (from Tri-Met's website) shows a 10:30pm last train from Pioneer Square.

my bad...

i thought I read somewhere when the did the Clackmas line that they were changing the set up.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 7:09 am
Original Poster

I'm trying to stay with a Marriott property since they have a spring megabonus going on, and also keep the room rate reasonable (SHS is $132 AAA). I was told airport closer to Vancouver WA than downtown PDX properties, hence staying near the airport.

It sounds like either eating at the Sheraton (where the client who's flying in stayed previously), Embassy Suites or taking the Max downtown & trying one of the restaurants linked is the way to go.

Part of it will depend on what time the client who's coming in from LA for the mtg in Vancouver actually arrives. If it's late aft, we could head to downtown to eat. If it's evening then Sheraton or ES restaurants will probably work better.

Cheers.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Check out the Residence Inn at Cascade Station. I'm staying there soon (for the first time), but their shuttle takes you anywhere in the immediate area (not just back and forth to the airport). You could stay there (a Marriott) and have them take you over to the Sheraton for dinner. I've eaten at the Sheraton at least half a dozen times (we often stay next door at the Hampton Inn before an early flight) and I don't think you'll be disappointed in the Sheraton's restaurant at all. The food is really good, and it's an attractive, quiet restaurant perfect for a business dinner.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Check out the Residence Inn at Cascade Station. I'm staying there soon (for the first time), but their shuttle takes you anywhere in the immediate area (not just back and forth to the airport). You could stay there (a Marriott) and have them take you over to the Sheraton for dinner. I've eaten at the Sheraton at least half a dozen times (we often stay next door at the Hampton Inn before an early flight) and I don't think you'll be disappointed in the Sheraton's restaurant at all. The food is really good, and it's an attractive, quiet restaurant perfect for a business dinner.
I checked out the RI @ Cascade, but it was $188 vs. the SHS $132. Sounds like if we decide to eat out near the airport that the Sheraton's restaurant will be our choice.

Cheers.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Just found out that the client flying in from LA has a rental car, so that gives us options re: where to go for dinner.

Also, date changed & arrival time. I'm getting in at 11am to PDX & will be free until the dinner if anyone's around/wants to meet up for lunch.

Cheers.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 12:39 am

Salty's on the Columbia River runs a free shuttle to the airport hotels, and is probably the best you're going to find unless you go downtown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.