Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska ditching Virgin's great first class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Finkface
As a longtime AS F flyer who got a taste of the great VX F product. As a result, I have been flying a lot of VX F lately and loving it. I am thinking of booking VX paid F for a flight next March but I am scared that the retrofit to AS F will happen before then and I will be kicking myself for paying such a premium when I can get AS F for the price of coach + a GGU.
VX flights don't leave the schedule until April 25, 2018. Presumably that's when single operator certificate happens. As such I think you're pretty safe- it's unlikely they will start redoing the VX fleet before then (they'd have to get FAA approval for VX to operate that modification AND approval for AS, makes much more sense to do it once instead of twice).

Also, you won't be able to GGU on a VX flight. It will never happen- VX will stop flying and you'll be able to GGU an AS flight on an Airbus (which may or may not have old VX or new AS seats).
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Colin
fly HA flat beds. it will be cheaper.

UA also runs flat beds on that route, and cheap with originations elsewhere like PDX. UA Hawaiii fares often permit free stopover and no HIP check. On the return, just hidden city.

No reason to believe AS 32X fleet will have even started retrofit in 5 months.
I know but this is a lot of miles towards my MVPG requalification for next year. I fly a lot of AS, not so much UA and virtually no HA.

However I am starting in YVR, SEA or PDX so UA looks intriguing...

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Also, you won't be able to GGU on a VX flight. It will never happen- VX will stop flying and you'll be able to GGU an AS flight on an Airbus (which may or may not have old VX or new AS seats).
Yes, I get that. I was just saying that if the retrofit was happening pre-March 2018, I would be pissed if I had paid for VX F and got AS-style F seats on the paid F VX flight.

If I was getting AS F, I would just pay for coach and use GGU's on AS flights, which is a whole lot more convenient anyway, plus I have companion certs. I was just hoping for one last VX F experience before it went away.

Last edited by Finkface; Oct 20, 2017 at 1:24 pm
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Finkface
I would be pissed if I had paid for VX F and got AS-style F seats on the paid F VX flight.
Like I said, it's not going to happen. AS isn't going to start reconfiguring until after April when there are no VX planes and flights any more, there's just AS flights and planes, ALL of which need new F seats . You should be fine in March.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Just cashed in points for 2 F tix (SFO-PVR). Now I need to decide if it's worth the 2K price tag to take VX back to SFO or take AS's F for $1200.

Hmmmm.....

Also looking at AA where I could fly Y and either use SWU's to upgrade. Prices would be $700 for 2 Y tix. But the catch is that the flight would take 2x as long vs. the nonstop VX and AS offer.

Decisions...
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Just flew Virgin America F from FLL to LAX then connected to Alaska F from LAX to SEA. I have only 2 comments.

1) Virgin F is the finest domestic F experience I have ever had on any airline. Alaska could learn a thing or eight from them.

2) Transferring from Virgin F to Alaska F was depressing.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by slopeboy40
Just flew Virgin America F from FLL to LAX then connected to Alaska F from LAX to SEA. I have only 2 comments.

1) Virgin F is the finest domestic F experience I have ever had on any airline. Alaska could learn a thing or eight from them.

2) Transferring from Virgin F to Alaska F was depressing.
Doing that same flight in a couple weeks. I have to agree, excluding JFK trancon flights, VX had/still has most times, best domestic F experience. The food is good, the room around those recliner seats is wonderful, and service is typically good to great. AA/DL/UA/AS on domestic F product on 2+ hour flights is very average.

I switched from a DL FF to a VX/AS FF this last 18 months and overall it's been good. The network is a little lacking and Alaska's lounges are second rate. But when Alaska finally updates that last Airbus I'll surely miss those big seats.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
there's still hope that Alaska could keep some of VX's soft F product. We've seen that AS is upgrading the "F" seats in LAS planes - they aren't quite as nice as LVX, but will be nicer than AA/DL/UA 737 F seats.
jimmygottfredson likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I'll be flying on Virgin's A321NEO First Class from Washington National to San Francisco in a couple of weeks. It's interesting to read comments about Virgin's great First Class service, especially with regard to meals. I logged my 1000th flight back in 1981 and due to having worked in the industry was fortunate enough to have experienced lots of truly excellent service in First Class aboard pretty much every U.S. airline that offered it. Trolleys and Chateaubriand carved seatside were de rigueur on flights over three hours including Seattle to Anchorage. Heck, Continental offered more to eat on its one hour Denver to Albuquerque First Class than Alaska currently offers on its three hour First Class luncheon flights between Anchorage and Seattle. First Class certainly seemed a lot more special back in the Seventies, but then so too were the expectations of its clientele. No disrespect intended here but when I hear modern day fliers talking about "great" First Class service on a U.S. domestic airline I take that with a big grain of salt. While I enjoy today’s easier access to the forward cabin, the fact remains that most of us up front are traveling on upgrades these days. Ah well – you get what you pay for.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 22, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I'll be flying on Virgin's A321NEO First Class from Washington National to San Francisco in a couple of weeks. It's interesting to read comments about Virgin's great First Class service, especially with regard to meals. I logged my 1000th flight back in 1981 and due to having worked in the industry was fortunate enough to have experienced lots of truly excellent service in First Class aboard pretty much every U.S. airline that offered it. Trolleys and Chateaubriand carved seatside were de rigueur on flights over three hours including Seattle to Anchorage. Heck, Continental offered more to eat on its one hour Denver to Albuquerque First Class than Alaska currently offers on its three hour First Class luncheon flights between Anchorage and Seattle. First Class certainly seemed a lot more special back in the Seventies, but then so too were the expectations of its clientele. No disrespect intended here but when I hear modern day fliers talking about "great" First Class service on a U.S. domestic airline I take that with a big grain of salt. While I enjoy today’s easier access to the forward cabin, the fact remains that most of us up front are traveling on upgrades these days. Ah well – you get what you pay for.
Part of what distinguished VX is that everyone paid at least some premium to sit up there. Notwithstanding the foregoing, and notwithstanding that I didn't sit in an F cabin until about 5 years after you logged your 1000th flight, there were plenty of excellent domestic F flights up through the mid 90s - mostly widebody transcons, but even the AS SEA/ANC flights with a salad cart. UA served me many many decent meals with nice wines throughout the better part of earning my MM status. And then after a 2 meal transcon (i.e., SFO/IAD), I'd get a full, albeit on one tray, 3 course meal on the IAD/ATL tag. The UA JFK 3 cabin transcons were catered as if they were the first meal service of an int'l F flight - caviar cart with vodka in the ice sculpture, canapes, salad cart, main course, dessert choices, etc.

Neither VX nor B6 come close to this, but they have been a very nice ride. I'm flying DL for my next "nice ride" in a few days, but (trying to account for age, novelty factor and so on), other than the hard product, I enjoyed my flights a lot more back then.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:42 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
... and to think, most of us would be thrilled with a full pre-departure beverage on Alaska... and when I think of United's "good ole days", I think of the battleship grey livery, real champagne on domestic flights, and silverware/glassware in F on even 1 hour long flights. That of course was all pre-9/11. Then the "great" excuse came. 9/11 became the blame for *EVERYTHING*, including today. If I hear 'because of 9/11...' one more time
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
... and to think, most of us would be thrilled with a full pre-departure beverage on Alaska... and when I think of United's "good ole days", I think of the battleship grey livery, real champagne on domestic flights, and silverware/glassware in F on even 1 hour long flights. That of course was all pre-9/11. Then the "great" excuse came. 9/11 became the blame for *EVERYTHING*, including today. If I hear 'because of 9/11...' one more time
The reality is drastic cuts had already occurred pre-9/11. AS started the big hatchet in the mid-90s. More chopping occurred later, but until then, the Bay Area / PNW flights were full 3 course meals (with a PDB, too). Somehow, the crew had time to serve all of that, with a smile.
You can imagine the reaction of passengers on UA, int'l F, on their first trip after the caviar cart disappeared. The replacement was the better part of an entire (whole) head of hot cauliflower in a bowl, with some seasoning, of course. I can only imagine what the actual expression on my face was when she served me that delicacy. Long before 9/11.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
there were plenty of excellent domestic F flights up through the mid 90s - mostly widebody transcons, but even the AS SEA/ANC flights with a salad cart. UA served me many many decent meals with nice wines throughout the better part of earning my MM status.
Quite true, Eastbay. United in particular - long reviled for any number of reasons over the last few years - once provided an excellent inflight service through the late 80s and early 90s. My favorite flights were the transcon Deli flights and the 7:00pm departure between Seattle and Anchorage. The latter was on a 727-200 and included large menus, appetizing appetizer plates, a salad tossed at your seat with freshly cracked pepper and a multitude of accompanying breads, a nightly roast presented on the trolley with a variety of vegetables and lastly, a full dessert service (more inspired than a simple ice cream sundae) complete with cheese and after dinner liqueurs.

More to the point though, what brought about my original comments about the current day perception of "great service" is that Virgin's First Class - even in its early days - never looked that much better to me in terms of quality and quantity of foods offered than TWA's domestic economy Ambassador Class as offered in the early 70s. But you know - a lot of that's just me. I've always enjoyed and put a premium on the panache of a good trolley presentation whereas I get the sense that these days a lot more people put an emphasis on seating comfort and would be happy with a much simpler but well prepared meal.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
But you know - a lot of that's just me. I've always enjoyed and put a premium on the panache of a good trolley presentation whereas I get the sense that these days a lot more people put an emphasis on seating comfort and would be happy with a much simpler but well prepared meal.
Count me among those who focus a lot more on the seats/suites and attentiveness of the FAs. I can get a really great meal at a restaurant before or after a flight. But during the flight, what makes me comfortable is the seat and the availability of food/drink when I'm hungry/thirsty for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.