Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska ditching Virgin's great first class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tphuang
Here is a question, what about EMS vs AS F? (supposedly mosaic members often get EMS upgrades) Pitch wise they are comparable if you sit in row 6, but EMS doesn't offer anything extra in terms of food or drinks and are 6 across seats with limited recline.
As a Mosaic you can use points to upgrade to EMS seats. It ends up being between $1.50 and $12 worth of points depending on length of flight. You can also get 10% of the points rebated with the JetBlue plus Mastercard. Mosaic members get free adult beverages. Anybody with the B6 Mastercard can also get 50% off BOB food and every passenger gets the usual free TV, WIFI, drinks, and snacks. On Mint planes there is a Marketplace set up in front of row 6 where you can help yourself to drinks and snacks at anytime during the flight.

Last edited by sfozrhfco; Mar 29, 2017 at 9:05 am
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by tphuang
Here is a question, what about EMS vs AS F?
In my one experience in B6 EMS, I found the actual seats (which are the same in EMS as in regular coach) to be extremely uncomfortable over the course of a transcon flight. (I flew the return in Mint, which was great, as expected.) They are slimline and start to feel pretty hard at around hour 3.

That said, I am flying it again, SFO-JFK, in a couple weeks with Ms. Shza and kids since it was like $200RT and just 1k mosaic points each to upgrade -- from the slew of points I got last year when they matched VX balances up to 75k.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Looks like this was what it was all about:

$ALK will reconfigure VX A319s to 126 seats (+7) and A320s to 150 seats (+4)
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Sitting around Love Field early morning Monday waiting for my regular VX first class flight to LGA, got into a conversation with some other weekly Dallas-NY or DC commuters who were all mourning VX' departure from these routes as of the end of August.

3 of the 4 indicated they would be switching to AA out of DFW (offering frequent mainline first class service) whereas the 4th said he would try sticking with the Alaska Airlines Embraer (intrigued with the idea of trying to snag the single "A" seats).

Sigh... the end of an era.

Last edited by HKG_Flyer1; Jun 4, 2017 at 6:25 pm
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

i sorta prefer a single F seat on an RJ on a 3 hourish flight, when alone.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
Sitting around Love Field early morning Monday waiting for my regular VX first class flight to LGA, got into a conversation with some other weekly Dallas-NY or DC commuters who were all mourning VX' departure from these routes as of the end of August.

3 of the 4 indicated they would be switching to AA out of DFW (offering frequent mainline first class service) whereas the 4th said he would try sticking with the Alaska Airlines Embraer (intrigued with the idea of trying to snag the single "A" seats).

Sigh... the end of an era.
Just got an upgrade on AS to F from PDX to SFO last night and what a poor product it is. The seat already felt uncomfortable when still on the ground. Not having a TV screen, just getting cookies in flight with not even predeparture drink offered, and having the same amount of leg room as MCS on Virgin just made me happy that I used up with AS miles. Now I can finish up my remaining Virgin points and not bother to pursue any status with them. I could get status quite easily with mostly award segments as I already have 11 segments year-to-date with total spend of $96 including tax but now sure that it is not worth it to do anything other than use up the rest of my points.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Given all the (negative) changes coming to DAL-LGA & LGA-DCA routes, it seems weird that AS management isn't making any effort at all to reach out to premium tier VX frequent fliers between Dallas and the East Coast in an attempt to retain their (our) loyalty.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Given all the (negative) changes coming to DAL-LGA & LGA-DCA routes, it seems weird that AS management isn't making any effort at all to reach out to premium tier VX frequent fliers between Dallas and the East Coast in an attempt to retain their (our) loyalty.
AS has no plans to be a premium carrier or have premium routes. The F cabin is more to reward frequent flyers than to actually be sold.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
See the DNA and Brand Roadmap details in the Alaska Investor's Day presentation of March this year, from page 27. Premium is not the plan. Leisure Enthusiasts are the primary target.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....ventId=5251562
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:45 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by CDKing
AS has no plans to be a premium carrier or have premium routes. The F cabin is more to reward frequent flyers than to actually be sold.
On average, AS sells a bit more than a third of its F seats, and that is before GGU and other U buy-ups. The percentage is higher on longer routes.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:51 am

Maybe it'd sell the DCA in perimeter slots, as JetBlue or other carriers would probably pay top dollar for them. It could then switch DAL-DCA to DAL-ORD which is shorter, while still being a big market for the DAL focus city.

It might hold on to the LGA slots while still using them for DAL. I wouldn't be surprised if DAL-DCA is much weaker.

In the end, I don't know how AS fits in, especially without a hub and very large FF bases on either side on very competitive routes.

While DAL is closer than DFW for some, with uber/lyft being more prevalent making crossing town and making rides to airports cheaper across the Metroplex, is it that big of a deal to still insist to use DAL, and necessary for a long distance flight, when AA has higher frequency service to LGA as well, but just out of DFW?

I live now in Flower Mound as a new resident, which is closer to DFW. Taking uber to DFW is $17 and to DAL is about $35. For me, DFW is closer. But my point is uber and lyft have made it still inexpensive to reach DAL and like those who are closer to DAL might still find DFW not all that big of a deal in extra expense.

Last edited by beyondhere; Jun 6, 2017 at 4:05 am
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by beyondhere
Maybe it'd sell the DCA in perimeter slots, as JetBlue or other carriers would probably pay top dollar for them. It could then switch DAL-DCA to DAL-ORD which is shorter, while still being a big market for the DAL focus city.

Aren't those DCA perimeter slots restricted by destination? IOW, if AS sells those DCA-DAL slots to another carrier, isn't the purchaser required to also fly DCA-DAL or lose the slots?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:43 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by HomerJay
Aren't those DCA perimeter slots restricted by destination? IOW, if AS sells those DCA-DAL slots to another carrier, isn't the purchaser required to also fly DCA-DAL or lose the slots?
The DCA and LGA slots (and DAL gates) are restricted as a condition of the merger. They cannot be sold, leased or traded without federal approval.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by HomerJay
I think only beyond perimeter are restricted by destination. And WN would gladly buy any DCA-DAL slots.

Originally Posted by beyondhere

It might hold on to the LGA slots while still using them for DAL. I wouldn't be surprised if DAL-DCA is much weaker.

In the end, I don't know how AS fits in, especially without a hub and very large FF bases on either side on very competitive routes.

While DAL is closer than DFW for some, with uber/lyft being more prevalent making crossing town and making rides to airports cheaper across the Metroplex, is it that big of a deal to still insist to use DAL, and necessary for a long distance flight, when AA has higher frequency service to LGA as well, but just out of DFW?

I live now in Flower Mound as a new resident, which is closer to DFW. Taking uber to DFW is $17 and to DAL is about $35. For me, DFW is closer. But my point is uber and lyft have made it still inexpensive to reach DAL and like those who are closer to DAL might still find DFW not all that big of a deal in extra expense.
The real issue is that they are also battling the WN juggernaut in the same airport, which is doing all they can to kick AS/VX out of the DCA/LGA-DAL market.

Originally Posted by dayone
The DCA and LGA slots (and DAL gates) are restricted as a condition of the merger. They cannot be sold, leased or traded without federal approval.
I'm sure DOT will approve a sale after a while if AS/VX continue to take massive losses here as long as the buyer isn't DL or AA. I would imagine B6 and WN would be extremely interested in those slots.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I've done a lot of F flying on AS, AA, DL, UA, VX, EK, NZ, HA, etc.

Alaska doesn't win much for its hard product. In fact, many of us stopped buying F when the solid bulkheads went away + the "new" seats, which SFOZRHFCO experienced. They're just flat out AWEFUL for anything over 3 hours.

but Alaska's soft product is very very good. I've had some of the best F FAs on AS, some of these guys put my handful of VX crews to shame; even on comparable routes.

AS is trying to find a happy medium - and unless they turn into Copa with their awesome near-lie-flats, I think the "new" seat unveiled after the VX merger is about as good as we're gonna get - which will be a step above both DL and AA F in a 737 (just no tv).

AS has been selling more and more F at a discount compared to others and I believe they are using it as best as they can.

VX never had the major corporate contracts out of LA, so its done what it could to have a competitive product, but with no major updates since it came out, the product has now been leapfrogged by everyone.

Only time will tell if it was the best decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.