Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

LAX T3 Plans for VX laid out at crankyflier.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX T3 Plans for VX laid out at crankyflier.com

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by nermaljcat
A tunnel or light rail would be great, or at least something undercover. I'm usually a bit lazy after 12-17 hours of travel.
hehe...you're talking about LAWA...who won't even help with funds to extend the light rail that ends a mile away from LAX into the airport.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:24 am

Programs: VX, UA 2P
Originally Posted by articos
hehe...you're talking about LAWA...who won't even help with funds to extend the light rail that ends a mile away from LAX into the airport.
if only VA signed up with SFO instead. I guess LAX(ative) would have been the cheapest out of the two...
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by articos
I wouldn't just blame LAWA... I don't see the neighborhoods in the area exactly willing to put up with a major project like a railway extension. It was a major effort just to get a taxiway on the South Runways. But yeah, I don't see any major capital investments into the infrastructure of LAX for a long time.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:48 am

Programs: VX, UA 2P
Originally Posted by FlyingBear
I wouldn't just blame LAWA... I don't see the neighborhoods in the area exactly willing to put up with a major project like a railway extension. It was a major effort just to get a taxiway on the South Runways. But yeah, I don't see any major capital investments into the infrastructure of LAX for a long time.
Just to clarify: I meant the kind of 'trains' they have at other airports to move pax between terminals (LHR, LAS, NRT etc).

I already had the feeling LA residents don't support the idea of public transport. Perhaps you could pitch it as automated cars that drive pax between terminals.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Well, after walking around the area after a VX flight to LAX, I noted:

- the conversion over in T3 is underway; construction's happening over there.
- I wasn't able to suss out where the VS/VA lounge is going to be exactly; I DID see an area on the level where the AS Board Room is where it could be... but then, it would be behind the T3 TSA gates (which would be horrible for VS, since you'd have to clear security TWICE, at T3 and T2). I did see where an old LAX map has an AA lounge somewhere above the T3 ticketing, but couldn't find it walking around. Maybe that's where it goes?
- About putting VS/VA/VX ticketing together... um, no. VS at LAX is right next to the entry for T2. Then, there's a long, LONG walkway with NW and other airlines, then it's the T3 ones (like AS). I would think they will keep VS's ticketing where they are now, and then VA/VX's ticketing will go in close to T3.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
- I did see where an old LAX map has an AA lounge somewhere above the T3 ticketing, but couldn't find it walking around. Maybe that's where it goes?
The old AA lounge (and I think TWA before that) is now the AS BR lounge in T3. It's been remodeled a bit and has amazing views of the North runways. As I can recall, there are some other offices up there next to the AS BR lounge, so maybe they are being relocated to make the Virgin lounge?
Old Sep 17, 2008, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBear
Nope, I'm not blaming just LAWA, just pointing out when it comes to any sort of major capital expenditure for LAX, it's just not going to happen anytime soon, unless there's a major change in organization there and to the political will in the City of LA. Nobody really cooperates well down there, be it the neighborhoods, the city, or the LAWA board.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

- the conversion over in T3 is underway; construction's happening over there.
- I wasn't able to suss out where the VS/VA lounge is going to be exactly; I DID see an area on the level where the AS Board Room is where it could be... but then, it would be behind the T3 TSA gates (which would be horrible for VS, since you'd have to clear security TWICE, at T3 and T2). I did see where an old LAX map has an AA lounge somewhere above the T3 ticketing, but couldn't find it walking around. Maybe that's where it goes?
- About putting VS/VA/VX ticketing together... um, no. VS at LAX is right next to the entry for T2. Then, there's a long, LONG walkway with NW and other airlines, then it's the T3 ones (like AS). I would think they will keep VS's ticketing where they are now, and then VA/VX's ticketing will go in close to T3.
There was zero chance of VS/VA/VX ticketing going together. The plan was always to leave VS ticketing in T2. T3 is literally being split down the middle for VX/VA and AS. AS gets the left half and Virgin gets the right half of T3's ticketing hall (and the rest of the terminal itself, going back to the gates). They could move VS's counter to be the closest to T3, but unknown for now.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:11 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Any word on VX's move to T3 at LAX?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:39 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Was at T3 a few weeks ago and VX clearly had the new check in area signed as "being built" Peeking through though they were just demo'ing out the previous area that was there.... BTW: VS folks I know at LAX say arrivals will happen at T2 (they weren't sure if they will get a gate at T3 for offloading and a walkway to the T2 immigration screening). For sure T3 is *NOT* getting immigration and customs clearance.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
T3 Time

It now says on website that LAX will use T3 starting 12/3/08.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rasheed
It now says on website that LAX will use T3 starting 12/3/08.
Yuck. T3 is just terrible. I'll miss the President's Club at T6.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by rjque
Yuck. T3 is just terrible. I'll miss the President's Club at T6.
This will be the *new* T3, with a VX club.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I will be flying through LAX on VX 12/5 and 12/7, so I will bring back a report.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aviators99
This will be the *new* T3, with a VX club.
Have they torn down the old T3 and replaced it with a building that is designed to handle the volume of pax that use that terminal? If not, yuck.

I'm torn on the VX club due to the lack of a VX lounge membership program. As it stands now, I think the CO membership is the most useful for VX flyers, with available clubs for VX flyers in SFO (NW airside and CO/DL landside in another terminal), SAN (DL airside - a bit of a walk), LAX (CO airside), IAD (NW airside), LAS (CO airside) and maybe SEA. If it's a pay per use VS club then it may be worthwhile, depending on how much time I have. Still, waiting even a few minutes in the T3 gate area is not fun.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 2:37 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by rjque
Have they torn down the old T3 and replaced it with a building that is designed to handle the volume of pax that use that ter.
What volume at T3, five airlines have been moved out to accomodate VX. (AirTran and Frontier are already out, Spirit and Sun Country will either stop service to LAX or move to T6, Midwest will move out also.) This mainly leaves AS/Alaska and VX as the main tenants. VX has been remodeling their check in area and the lounge they will use.

Short of LAX demolishing all the terminals you got to take what you can get....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.