Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

SPG/VX Officially Toast after 6 Jan 17 per Starwood Lurker

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG/VX Officially Toast after 6 Jan 17 per Starwood Lurker

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tth6133
I sure wish you're right. On Jan 9, AS will publish award chart for VX flights (at FIXED mileages, I suppose). If Elevate program continues in its current form, we'll have two ways to redeem for VX flights: 1) use VX points at variable level based on ticket price; or 2) convert to AS at 1:1.3 ratio to redeem at fixed level. One surely will be better than the other. For how long will AS let us play this game?
It is wishful thinking to believe that Elevate will be around for long. They have already set deadlines for all of the transfer partnerships to be cut off. They are going to make it very difficult as partners continue to drop as well. AS is going to want you to use those points with AS or its partners under the terms it established with Mileage Plan. Nothing that they have done so far would lead one to believe that anything other than shutting down Elevate as quickly as possible is what they will do.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I agree with all your points and tend to agree with them. Going to risk it though by transferring 200k SPG over as I really need this redemption.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:30 pm

I am very curious to see what happens to Elevate - it seems odd they haven't made any indications on the outcome (unlike the SPG/Marriott merger where they were clear up front that the plan was for Starwood to go away).

One interesting thing I noticed yesterday - my points now have an expiration date on them. Because I have the credit card, they should never expire (and previously did not have an expiration date).
Old Dec 30, 2016, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I agree with all your points and tend to agree with them. Going to risk it though by transferring 200k SPG over as I really need this redemption.
That is a lot of SPG points to potentially go into the ether. I would have a back up plan for the points if the HA partnership goes up in smoke next month.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
That is a lot of SPG points to potentially go into the ether. I would have a back up plan for the points if the HA partnership goes up in smoke next month.
I will have a look ^
Old Jan 1, 2017, 2:23 am
Suspended

Using VX miles to fly First to Hawaii is a huge tremendous rip off. It's almost guaranteed that Alaska will offer better redemptions under their mileage plan.

And while most of the transfer options into VX are disappearing, don't forget you can still get Comenity VX CC's. I just got one.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 7:19 am

OP is trying to use the points for a redemption with HA, not VX which offers far more options at a much lower redemption rate than VX or AS.

The VX credit card continues to be the worst part of VX. Comenity is terrible.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
OP is trying to use the points for a redemption with HA, not VX which offers far more options at a much lower redemption rate than VX or AS.

The VX credit card continues to be the worst part of VX. Comenity is terrible.
Ha redemptions are good value through VX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.