FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
SPG/VX Officially Toast after 6 Jan 17 per Starwood Lurker

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...n-america.html
Old Dec 28, 16, 10:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards
Such a bummer. I utilized the SPG & VX partnership earlier this year to redeem two VS Upper Class tickets, but now all of those partnerships have officially disintegrated...
Old Dec 28, 16, 12:43 pm

Is there any point transferring points before it goes away? My thinking is unless there's something you want to use Virgin America points for soon, no. Alaska points are valued at 1.3c each, compared to Starwood at 2.4c. So even with bonus transfer rate and the 1.3x VA to AS conversion it's not worth it (1.3c * 1.25 * 1.3 = 2.1125)
Old Dec 28, 16, 3:09 pm

Programs: DLSL, MVP75K, Le Club Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by anothertraveller12 View Post
Is there any point transferring points before it goes away? My thinking is unless there's something you want to use Virgin America points for soon, no. Alaska points are valued at 1.3c each, compared to Starwood at 2.4c. So even with bonus transfer rate and the 1.3x VA to AS conversion it's not worth it (1.3c * 1.25 * 1.3 = 2.1125)
I was slightly temped to do this because of the favorable conversion rate, but ultimately chose not to because I didn't need Alaska or VX points.

After considering this for the last couple weeks I totally agree with you, transfers only makes sense if you have a ton of Starwood points and need Alaskan or VX points (and have a specific redemption in mind).
Old Dec 28, 16, 5:34 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW Leaders Club, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by anothertraveller12 View Post
I am not sure where you get that valuation of 1.3 cents each. I would say much higher. At least 1.7 cents. In particular, note that you can get a round-trip business class ticket to Asia on Cathay Pacific on AS for 100,000 miles. That is worth more than $2,110 and you can even get one way tickets.
Old Dec 28, 16, 9:27 pm

On Virgin America I'm able to fly on Virgin Australia round trip for 80,000 points on a flight worth $5k-$6k, so that puts VA at over 6c per point if you're doing partner redemptions.

But you're right - the first site I looked at said 1.3c, but most others say 1.7c.
Old Dec 29, 16, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum
I would like to use VX miles for a Hawaiian redemption in March 2017. Can't book until then. Would you guys say its a safe bet that the VX and Hawaiian partnership still be active then? I would need to transfer SPG points for this.
Old Dec 29, 16, 9:40 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
I would not count on HA remaining a partner. AS seems quite content with dismantling elevate as fast as it can. HA is AS's biggest competitor to the islands. They will surely want to push people to take AS rather than give revenue to a competitor.
Old Dec 29, 16, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
I would not count on HA remaining a partner. AS seems quite content with dismantling elevate as fast as it can. HA is AS's biggest competitor to the islands. They will surely want to push people to take AS rather than give revenue to a competitor.
Good point. In the past what type of notice have they given before they take away a partner?
Old Dec 29, 16, 11:43 am

I suspect the VX Elevate program will disappear very quickly after the Jan 9 announcement. VX-to-AS transfer will likely be one-way only. I don't think AS will keep the Elevate program around for much longer after AS publishes the award chart for redemption on VX flights on Jan 9. Otherwise, that'd be an inconsistency (and an incentive to arb) between redemption levels of the two programs.
Old Dec 29, 16, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by onlysuites View Post
Good point. In the past what type of notice have they given before they take away a partner?
i would not not expect any notice. AS sees that it is doing elevate members a favor to be able to join Mileage Plan. I am sure they pressured Starwood to immediately cut off transfers to Elevate and only relented with extending the deadline by a few days to avoid too much passenger push back. I would simply expect a dictate with little notice that you have to sign up for Mileage Plan and your points will be moved whether you like it or not.
Old Dec 29, 16, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
i would not not expect any notice. AS sees that it is doing elevate members a favor to be able to join Mileage Plan. I am sure they pressured Starwood to immediately cut off transfers to Elevate and only relented with extending the deadline by a few days to avoid too much passenger push back. I would simply expect a dictate with little notice that you have to sign up for Mileage Plan and your points will be moved whether you like it or not.
How long do we have to officially join MP? Or is there a no date as of yet?
Old Dec 29, 16, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by onlysuites View Post
How long do we have to officially join MP? Or is there a no date as of yet?
Nobody really knows what the process will be but 9 January apparently something will happen.
Old Dec 30, 16, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by tth6133 View Post
I suspect the VX Elevate program will disappear very quickly after the Jan 9 announcement. VX-to-AS transfer will likely be one-way only. I don't think AS will keep the Elevate program around for much longer after AS publishes the award chart for redemption on VX flights on Jan 9. Otherwise, that'd be an inconsistency (and an incentive to arb) between redemption levels of the two programs.
I suspect otherwise. It will be around through 2017, at least.
Old Dec 30, 16, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by cringle View Post
I suspect otherwise. It will be around through 2017, at least.
I sure wish you're right. On Jan 9, AS will publish award chart for VX flights (at FIXED mileages, I suppose). If Elevate program continues in its current form, we'll have two ways to redeem for VX flights: 1) use VX points at variable level based on ticket price; or 2) convert to AS at 1:1.3 ratio to redeem at fixed level. One surely will be better than the other. For how long will AS let us play this game?

Search this Thread