Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Virgin America (VX) FAQ Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2008, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Arrow ARCHIVE: Virgin America (VX) FAQ Thread

Q: Is Virgin America part of Virgin Atlantic?

A: No. The Civil Aeronautics Act of 1938 disallows substantial foreign ownership of domestic US carriers. Specifically, a foreigner (or foreigners) cannot own more than 25% of a domestic US carrier, and cannot control the operations of such an airline. Therefore, the Virgin Group (which owns Virgin Atlantic and much of the Virgin Empire) owns 25% of Virgin America. The rest of the airline is owned by private investors who are US citizens. Since Virgin America was created with the ideology of the Virgin Group, you will notice the same attention to detail, focus on "fun", and the "hipster" target market. They have, of course, licensed the Virgin name and logo.

Q: Does Virgin America have a frequent flyer program? Can I earn/use my points on/from other carriers?

A: Virgin America's frequent flyer program (called elevate) allows earning of points and redemption of points on Virgin America flights, Virgin Atlantic flights, V Australia flights, Virgin Australia flights, Hilton Hotel family hotel stays, Morgans Hotel Group hotel stays, Avis car rentals, and Budget car rentals. You can also earn points in the "Red Store", which is a SkyMall website, located at http://www.the-red-store.com. Points for air travel on Virgin America are earned at a rate of 5 points for every dollar spent. NOTE: Only dollars spent on the base fare are used in this calculation (not fees, taxes, nor purchase while in the air).

Points for air travel on Virgin Atlantic, V Australia and Virgin Australia are earned based on miles flown, and fare class.

For V Australia: Fare classes V,Q earn 10% of miles flown. K,G,E,L,N,T earn 20% of miles flown. Y,B,H earn 40% of miles flown. W,S,R,O earn 50% of miles flown. I,D earn 60% of miles flown. J,C earn 80% of miles flown.

For Virgin Australia: Fare classes R,V,X earn 10% of miles flown. A,B,C,E,G,H,J,K,M,P,Q,S,T,U earn 20% of miles flown. N,Y earn 40% of miles flown. W,O earn 50% of miles flown.

These rates can be seem in tabular form at: http://virginamerica.custhelp.com/cg...i=&p_topview=1

For Virgin Atlantic: Fare classes N,V,X,O earn 10% of miles flown. L,M,Q earn 20% of miles flown. Y,B earn 40% of miles flown. W,S,K,H earn 50% of miles flown. Z,R,J,D earn 60% of miles flown.

Later in 2010, you will be able to redeem points on V Australia and Virgin Australia.

Points for car rental are earned at the rate of 1 point for every dollar spent.

Points for Hilton Hotel family hotels are earned at the rate of 1 point per every $2 spent. Points for Morgans Hotel Group stays are earned at the rate of 1,000 points per stay.

Points are redeemed for air travel based on the available fares on the flight on which you would like to travel. Every seat which is available for purchase is also available for redemption. The current rate of "exchange" between points and dollars depends upon day of travel. For all days other than Friday and Sunday, the rate is around $0.0215 of value per point. For example, if the one-way fare is $62 the number of points required to redeem is 2,884. This exchange rate (which is actually a small fraction under .0215) is consistent across all fares systemwide. For Friday and Sunday, the rate is around $0.0165 of value per point. Once a ticket is booked via redemption, it is like any other ticket in that you can upgrade it, cancel it or change it at the same dollar cost as normal.

Frequent Flyer points will not expire until 18 months of having no points earned in your account at all. As long as points are earned (using any of the methods mentioned above), your points will exist for an additional 18 months.

Q: Can I earn Velocity Points (Virgin Australia/V Australia's program) or Flying Club miles (Virgin Atlantic) by flying on Virgin America?

A: Yes. You can include your Velocity number or Flying Club number in your VX reservation. These points are earned based on miles flown and class of service (notably unlike the way points are normally earned for VX flights). For Main Cabin non-refundable flights, you earn 50% of miles flown. For refundable Main Cabin, and all Main Cabin Select fares, you earn 100% for every mile flown. For First Class, you earn 150% of every mile flown.

Q: Does Virgin America have a credit card that yields frequent flyer points?

A: Barclays and Virgin America have announced a credit card with the following features:

- 1 VX point per dollar spent
- 3 VX points per dollar spent on VX travel (in addition to the 5 VX points per dollar earned via elevate in general)
- 2,500 VX points on first purchase
- 0% APR and 1 point per dollar on first balance transfer (up to 2,500 bonus points)

Q: Where does Virgin America fly?

A: Virgin America has two hubs: LAX and SFO. From SFO, they fly to/from SEA, LAX, SAN, LAS, IAD, BOS, FLL, ORD, PSP, YYZ, MCO, CUN, SJD, DFW, and JFK. From LAX, they fly to SFO, IAD, JFK, BOS, ORD, DFW, CUN, and SEA. They also fly JFK to/from LAS. SFO-PHL and LAX-PHL start in April 2012. SFO-PDX and LAX-LDX begins in June 2012.

Q: How is Virgin America different from the network carriers?

A: The major differences are: happy employees, a superior in-flight entertainment system (RED), on demand food, in-flight WiFi Internet, international style first class seating, service, and food (even on short haul flights), power outlets at every seat, and mood lighting

Q: What does the in-flight entertainment system (RED) do?

A: Here is a list (some features are for future use, and not implemented yet. Those features are so noted):

- Live television from Dish Network (Free)
- On demand movies (some movies cost money in coach, but some are free)
- On demand TV shows (Cost money in coach)
- Games, including some multi-player (some games cost money in coach, but some are free)
- Large music playlist (free)
- Seat-to-seat chat (free)
- Plane-wide chat room (free)
- TV chat (free, allows people watching the same channel to chat about the program)
- Daily newspapers on the screen (not implemented yet)
- Merchandise shopping
- Automatically remembering your playlist from your previous flight (not implemented yet)
- Internet access via seatback (not implemented yet)

Q: What is on demand food?

A: Using RED, you can scroll through pictures of the different types of food available for purchase, select what you want, swipe your credit card, and it will be delivered to your seat within 2 minutes. The current coach selection is available at http://hungry.virginamerica.com

Q: Can you get a standby upgrade to first class?

A: Yes. If there are seats available 6 hours or less before departure, you can before check-in. The charge for upgrading depends on the flight distance: 849 miles or less is $79, 850-1499 miles is $139, and 1500 miles or more is $299. The best deal (longest distance within the cheapest category) is SEA-SFO, which still falls within the $79 upgrade. Some have said that you can do it *during* online check-in (OLCI), but I have found that to never work. In fact, if you get through the first page of OLCI, the online upgrade seems to not work. As long as there is a seat, you can upgrade to it. To do it on the web page, go to the page where you can manage the reservation. There will be a button that will allow you to check-in. Do not click it (yet), but note that it is there. Instead of pressing that, press the button that says "change seats". When you mouse over one of the first class seats, it should tell you how much the upgrade will cost, and it should be the price above, instead of the fare difference. Go ahead and select the seat and enter payment information. After you are all done and your credit card has been processed, you can check-in.

Q: Does Virgin America have in-flight Internet?

A: Virgin America has had in-flight WiFi Internet since 11/22/2008. This means that you can use your laptop on the aircraft to surf the Internet, check your e-mail, use instant messenger, etc. You can even access your corporate VPN. Virgin America's in-flight Internet uses the AirCell technology, which is ground-based, and the coverage map is here. The cost is currently around $10 for short haul and $13 for long haul. If you are using a PDA, the cost is only around $8. If you are on a red-eye, it is around $8. If your flight is less than 1.5 hours, it is around $5. As of 5/18/2009, all flights are WiFi-Equipped. As of 5/21/2009, all aircraft are WiFi equipped, making Virgin America the first US airline to have WiFi fleet-wide.

Q: What's with the mood lighting?

A: When you board the plane, you will immediately notice the purple/pinkish glow from the LED mood lighting. Apparently, some psychologist advised the airline on the colors that will soothe people during different phases of the flight.

Q: What TV channels can you watch on Red?

A:

BRAVO
CBS (WCBS-TV/New York)
CNBC
CNN
Comedy Central
The CW (KTLA-TV/Los Angeles)
CURRENT TV*
DISNEY*
E!
ESPN
ESPN 2
ESPN Classic
ESPN News
FOX*
FX
MSNBC
MTV
NICKELODEON
Syfy*
TNT
USA
WGN America
* - Indicates that this channel is not live. It is cached on the aircraft server.

All channels are east coast feeds, where applicable.

Q: Does Virgin America have any interline agreements?

A: Currently, Virgin America has interline agreements with V Australia (VA), El Al (LY), and South African Airways (SA)

Q: How is Virgin America different from JetBlue?

A: The major differences are: JetBlue has more legroom in coach, Jetblue's live TV is more reliable, Virgin America has a more feature-rich in-flight entertainment system, and Virgin America has a first class cabin

Q: Does Virgin America have premium coach seats like JetBlue does?

A: Yes. Virgin America has what is called Main Cabin Select, which includes the bulkhead and exit row seats. These seats have much more legroom than the other coach seats (38" seat pitch), and when you purchase seats in this row, you get food and alcohol for free, priority boarding, dedicated luggage space, and free on demand movies, TV, and games. The cost varies depending on flight distance, and is not based on the coach fare.

Q: Can you get a standby upgrade to Main Cabin Select?

A: Yes. If there are seats available 24 hours or less before departure, you can upgrade at check-in (including OLCI) or prior to check-in. The charge for upgrading depends on the flight distance: 849 miles or less is $39, 850-1499 miles is $69, and 1500 miles or more is $129.

Q: What are the fees for checked baggage?

A: In Coach, the first through tenth bags are $25 each. In Main Cabin Select, the first bag is free. The first and second bags in First Class are also free.

Q: Can you get a standby upgrade from Main Cabin Select to First Class?

A: Yes. If there are seats available 24 hours or less before departure, you can upgrade at check-in (including OLCI) or prior to check-in. The charge for upgrading depends on the flight distance: 849 miles or less is $39, 850-1499 miles is $69, and 1500 miles or more is $169. NOTE: Oftentimes, the cost of MCS plus the upgrade fee is as much as a discounted F ticket was, and almost always more than upgrading Main Cabin to F! Also note that you do not get any priority upgrade treatment when you are going from MCS to F over when you are going from MC to F. It is strickly first come, first served!

Q: How does Virgin America's first class cabin compare with United PS?

A: Please see articos's excellent post on the subject

Q: When I try to use the "chat" feature of Red, it says that it's "currently unavailable". Why?

A: The flight attendants have an override which disables the use of this feature. They disable it when there are complaints of abuse. Unfortunately, this setting is persistent, so if they forget to re-enable it after the plane lands, it will still be disabled for the next flight. Let the flight attendant know it is still disabled, and it can be re-enabled.

Q: What is the problem with Virgin America's live TV system?

A: It is a combination of a hardware problem, and Dish Network reception issues. The hardware problem is being fixed on aircraft when they are available to be serviced.

Q: Does Virgin America have a lounge?

A: Not at present, but at SFO, IAD, and JFK, if you are travelling on Virgin America, you can buy a day pass to the Virgin Atlantic Upper Class lounge. This pass costs $35. The service in the lounge is excellent. The food is very good, and there's top shelf liquor included. The lounges do not expand hours for Virgin America, so they are only open during Virgin Atlantic's flight times.

Q: What type of planes does Virgin America use?

A: Airbus A320s and A319s.

Q: What are the change fees associated with changing your flight?

A: For coach tickets, you are charged $75 to change your ticket (via the website). This includes re-booking to take advantage of a fare that has gone lower. For First Class tickets, there is no fee for changing tickets/pricing. If you change your ticket within 24 hours of making your reservation, you are not charged a fee. The same change fees are charged (in dollars) when reservations are made using elevate points. You can change from First Class to one or more coach flights with no fee, but once you do that, you can't change it again without incurring the $50 fee. NOTE: Some have reported that you can change a ticket from coach to first class without paying the $50 fee, but that is undocumented. This is confirmed as of 8/15/2008 (by me), but YMMV. You cannot change from coach to first class online. You must call reservations.

Q: Does Virgin America oversell/overbook flights?

A: Virgin America does not overbook or oversell their flights. There has been confusion because you can book a reservation when the seat map looks full and you cannot select a seat. This is because certain rows (row 4, row 9, row 25DEF, and row 26ABC for A320, and row 4, row 9, row 21ABC for A319) are reserved for airport assignment and cannot be selected beforehand. When the seat map looks full, there could be 0-18 seats left.

Q: What are the names of the planes, and which planes have WiFi?

A: Virgin America held a contest before their launch, to allow people to name their planes. The plane names are painted in the front.

A319s:
N521VA - Let There Be Flight (WiFi Enabled)
N522VA - The 1-Year-Old Virgin (WiFi Enabled)
N523VA - Contents May Be Under Pressure (WiFi Enabled)
N524VA - Dark Horse (WiFi Enabled)
N525VA - Virgin & Tonic (WiFi Enabled)
N526VA - Jane (WiFi Enabled)
N527VA - Tubular Belle (WiFi Enabled)
N528VA - Fog Cutter (WiFi Enabled)
N529VA - Moodlights, Camera, Action (WiFi Enabled)
N530VA - gogo Dancer (WiFi Enabled)

A320s:
N621VA - Air Colbert (WiFi Enabled)
N622VA - California Dreaming (WiFi Enabled)
N623VA - Three if by Air (WiFi Enabled)
N624VA - fRed, White & Blue (WiFi Enabled)
N625VA - Jefferson Airplane (WiFi Enabled)
N626VA - Unicorn Chaser (WiFi Enabled)
N627VA - Runway Angel (WiFi Enabled)
N628VA - Entourage Air (WiFi Enabled)
N629VA - Midnight Ride (WiFi Enabled)
N630VA - Superfly (WiFi Enabled)
N631VA - Chic Air (WiFi Enabled)
N632VA - Youtube Air (WiFi Enabled)
N633VA - The Tim Clark Express (WiFi Enabled)
N634VA - Mach Daddy (WiFi Enabled)
N635VA - My Other Ride's a Spaceship (WiFi Enabled)
N636VA - Airplane 2.0 (WiFi Enabled)
N637VA - An Airplane Named Desire (WiFi Enabled)
N638VA - San Francisco Pride (WiFi Enabled)
N639VA - Air Drake - (WiFi Enablled)
N640VA - Refresh Air - (WiFi Enablled)
N641VA - Dotcomsecrets Air - (WiFi Enabled)
N642VA - Breanna Jewel - (WiFi Enabled)
N835VA - Arnold (WiFi Enabled)
N836VA - Spruce Moose (WiFi Enabled)
N837VA - Air VH1 (WiFi Enabled)
N838VA - DFW One (WiFi Enabled)
N839VA - Myles from Connemara (WiFi Enabled)
N840VA - bytheway (WiFi Enabled)
N841VA - #nerdbird (WiFi Enabled)
N842VA - Breanna Jewel (WiFi Enabled)
N843VA - Vamanos (WiFi Enabled)
N844VA - sol plane (WiFi Enabled)
N845VA - Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish (WiFi Enabled)
N846VA - Glitter Girl (WiFi Enabled)
N847VA - Scarlett O'air (WiFi Enabled)
N848VA - ??? (WiFi Enabled)
N849VA - Fly Baby (WiFi Enabled)

Q: Does Virgin America sell gift cards like JetBlue does?

A: Yes. See https://www.virginamerica.com/giftCertificate.do

Q: I've heard the safety video is funny, but I've only flown in first class. How can I see it?

A: Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyygn8HFTCo
{editor's note: I think there's an error in the video when he says, "...tampering with smoke detectors isn't allowed by law..."
The way the emphasis is, it leaves the possibility that it also isn't disallowed by law. You have to listen to understand what I mean}

Last edited by aviators99; Apr 3, 2012 at 8:42 am
Old Jun 25, 2008, 9:33 am

Programs: VX, UA 2P
Looks good. Nice work ^

One thing:
Q: What's with the mood lighting?

A: When you board the plane, you will immediately notice the purple/pinkish glow from the LED mood lighting. Apparently, some psychologist advised the airline
on the colors that will soothe people during different phases of the flight. However, I'm not sure I've noticed the colors ever changing from the initial state.
I'm pretty sure I noticed it change while flying SFO->JFK. Take off during the day, land at night. It went from the pink/purple color to a dark blue/purple.

Also (being picky), I think the formatting is a little out (eg. the occasional line with only one word in it)

-- should this be a sticky?
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The desserts are chocolate mousse, vanilla nut pudding, and berries (there's pictures in my VX in F trip report).
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

I've implemented the suggested changes. I also tried to do something with the formatting...

I would be open to having it be a sticky, and I will continue to maintain it in any case.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 9:37 am

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
Online check in

If you are checking in luggage do you save time using the online check in ?
Old Jun 26, 2008, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmg42000
If you are checking in luggage do you save time using the online check in ?
Good question. I've never checked luggage with them. Their online check-in process claims that it does, but I'd like to hear from someone who has tried it.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by nermaljcat
Looks good. Nice work ^

One thing:

I'm pretty sure I noticed it change while flying SFO->JFK. Take off during the day, land at night. It went from the pink/purple color to a dark blue/purple.

Also (being picky), I think the formatting is a little out (eg. the occasional line with only one word in it)

-- should this be a sticky?
The cabin lighting does in fact change, but I don't believe it's automated. Different profiles can be manually selected by the crew, with different coloration for day, night, evening/early morning. They fade into each other, so it's not a jarring change.

Also, don't necessarily need this for the FAQ, but I came across the link for the Recaro seats that VX uses in F:

http://www.recaro-as.com/ras/product...420/index.html

Just some fun reading. (Delta's about to install them in their new 757 BusinessElite cabins for Int'l only.) Regarding no underseat storage in F, besides the cubbyhole in the armrest, there's some room between the seat and the wall which also fits a messenger bag nicely for the outboard seats.

Last edited by articos; Jun 27, 2008 at 8:53 pm
Old Jul 4, 2008, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
24-hour cancellation, Refare vouchers, and 1-day holds

This is a great start to the FAQ.

As a UA flyer who tries to track fares, I often use the following UA features:

- Free cancellation by calling within 24 hours of ticketing no matter what the fare.
- A 1-day hold option on most fares expiring at midnight EST the day after placing the hold.
- Obtaining a voucher for the fare difference on the same routing and times if the fare declines between booking and flying.

I would bet that these would be FAQs and useful information. Does VX have these options? Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 4, 2008, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fadeforward

- Free cancellation by calling within 24 hours of ticketing no matter what the fare.
- A 1-day hold option on most fares expiring at midnight EST the day after placing the hold.
- Obtaining a voucher for the fare difference on the same routing and times if the fare declines between booking and flying.

I would bet that these would be FAQs and useful information. Does VX have these options? Thanks in advance!
Having never booked coach on VX, I can't comment on the first two. I have no idea, but haven't read anywhere that they are possible. Can someone else comment? As far as the third one goes, this is true, but there is a $75 change fee applied in coach (no fee for first). I added information about change fees and also gift cards.

Last edited by aviators99; Jul 4, 2008 at 9:03 am
Old Jul 4, 2008, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by fadeforward

You get similar flexibility with an F fare. Any refunds/fare differences are given as a credit that is kept against your eleVAte account.

Here are the details:
All fares are sold on a per-person, one-way, non-transferable, non-refundable basis.

· Changes must be made prior to scheduled departure time. For Main Cabin guests, changes will result in a $75 fee per guest plus any applicable fare difference. There is no change fee for First Class guests but you are responsible for any applicable fare difference. If there is any remaining balance from the change a credit file will be created that can be used for travel on Virgin America within 12 months following the change. If you change a reservation within 24 hours of the time you make the booking there will be no fee applied.

· Cancellations must be made prior to scheduled departure time and will be subject to a $75 fee per guest, with the remaining balance applied as a credit for travel on Virgin America within the next 12 months. For First Class guests, there will be no cancellation fee. The amount will go into a Virgin America credit file to be used for travel up to 12 months from the date of the cancellation. If canceled within 24 hours from the time of booking there will be no fee for either first or main cabin.

Seat and fare availability cannot be confirmed until the reservation is purchased.

http://virginamerica.custhelp.com/cg...i=&p_topview=1
Old Jul 4, 2008, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Added.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Added new food selection announced today.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by aviators99
Added new food selection announced today.
The new menu looks good (looking forward to trying it).

Dessert Tapas - Tropical Tiramisu, Blueberry Cheesecake, and S'mores
Deconstructed.
Good to see smores make it on a first class menu I wonder what the FAA thinks about having an in-flight campfire!! I hope I get the chance to try them on my upcoming LAX-SFO flight (is that flight too short).
Old Jul 16, 2008, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nermaljcat
The new menu looks good (looking forward to trying it).

Good to see smores make it on a first class menu I wonder what the FAA thinks about having an in-flight campfire!! I hope I get the chance to try them on my upcoming LAX-SFO flight (is that flight too short).
I'll give you a report from my SFO-SEA flight tomorrow.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

I'll give you a report from my SFO-SEA flight tomorrow.
No s'mores for SFO-SEA today. The BBQ Chicken Salad was good. It's a whole chicken breast. The tomato with feta and olives was good if you like that sort of thing.

Last edited by aviators99; Jul 17, 2008 at 9:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.