Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points Buying Issue

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Points Buying Issue

So, I purchased a block of points for myself and one for a friend. Today I got a pair of emails from Elevate saying that there was an issue with my credit card and that the purchases did not go through. After an afternoon of useless customer service (Virgin tried to send me to Points.com, which sent me back to Virgin, which then said they couldn't help, I had to use the website, and that the only way to deal with this was to email the Elevate team (which has no phone number to call) and that such an issue could take 6-8 weeks to resolve), I've re-run the transactions but I am bracing for the transaction not to go through a second time. Please note how thrilled I am at this prospect.

Basically, does anyone know what my options are at this point? Customer service seems to be utterly useless.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you call the number on the back of the card to see if there was a rejected transaction? I'm not sure if this sort of thing can easily trigger a fraud alert, but, if it can, that can be easily cleared up over the phone.

You could also try a different card...
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Ok, I called the card and they said that the re-purchases from this evening were, in fact, approved. We'll see where this goes.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Ok, I called Points.com and left a message (really, that's mildly annoying to have to do that). They called me back, I talked with someone for a bit, and nobody is quite sure what the issue was...but talking to someone seems to have dislodged the purchases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.