Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry card required at YYZ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Global Entry card required at YYZ?

I'm a UK CItizen with Global Entry, so no GE card was issued.

I recently flew from Toronto to the US, but wasn't allowed into the Global Entry line due to not having the GE card to show the person allowing people into the line. I explained I wasn't issued a card, but I still wasn't allowed access.

I was able to use the GE kiosk after waiting in the standard immigration line, but didn't get the "front of the line" privilege.

Not the end of the world but is this standard practice at all Canadian airports, to check for the GE card? The GE website suggests that the card is really only for land crossings.

I'll be be making another trip from YYZ to the US in the near future and wondering if it'll be the same situation again.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
It's happened to me at both YYZ and YUL, and I think at YVR as well. I've now taken to carrying the GE card with me.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by sambagrrl07
It's happened to me at both YYZ and YUL, and I think at YVR as well. I've now taken to carrying the GE card with me.
We, a Brits, dont get issued GE cards this is the issue.

However i regularly travel through YYZ and YWG, what i do is take a printout of my GE status from GOES and show that to the the guard checking the queue, they are hesitant but they always let me though.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aidy
We, a Brits, dont get issued GE cards this is the issue.

However i regularly travel through YYZ and YWG, what i do is take a printout of my GE status from GOES and show that to the the guard checking the queue, they are hesitant but they always let me though.
Great idea, I'll try that this week and report back!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
If I remember correctly from the last time I was through YYZ, the line guards were either airport employees or airport contractors and not CBP officers.

You might call the relevant CBP preclearance sites (scroll down) to see if they can help educate the airport personnel that the GE card is not required for air travel.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

No luck today with the printout unfortunately.

There were two women guarding the line, the first one was about to let me in after some deliberation (given my explanation of having no card) but the other woman overheard what was going on and came over to lay down the law: no card, no entry.

Actually the first woman started to argue my case with her colleague "but he doesn't get issued a card?" but the other one had made her decision and just reiterated: no card, no entry. Basically "not my problem" !

As mentioned above these people do seem to be airport employees rather than CBP. I might try calling the preclearance center next week to see if I can get an official answer from CBP regarding the situation.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Weird I've never been stopped. I'm going through YWG, however domestic, but I'll head through the Nexus line tomorrow and see what happens
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
The airport's Twitter (@TorontoPearson) looks to be very active, so you might also send them a message if you have that in addition to calling CBP. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

From the CBP GE FAQ:

Must I obtain a Global Entry card?

No, it is not necessary to obtain a Global Entry card to continue using Global Entry at airport kiosks. A card is only required for expedited entry at the SENTRI and NEXUS lanes coming into the United States
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BAflyer90
No luck today with the printout unfortunately.

There were two women guarding the line, the first one was about to let me in after some deliberation (given my explanation of having no card) but the other woman overheard what was going on and came over to lay down the law: no card, no entry.

Actually the first woman started to argue my case with her colleague "but he doesn't get issued a card?" but the other one had made her decision and just reiterated: no card, no entry. Basically "not my problem" !

As mentioned above these people do seem to be airport employees rather than CBP. I might try calling the preclearance center next week to see if I can get an official answer from CBP regarding the situation.
are you trying to access the nexus security line? As they are usually ok for you to go through normal security and then go to the kiosks after.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:58 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Please continue to follow this subject in the legacy thread at the Flyertalk Travel Security board:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trust...-required.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.