Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884

When Do I Need My Global Entry Card?

The circumstances under which a GE card is required/not required or useful varies to some degree. Certain travelers (e.g. those who are not Canadian or US Citizens, but are in another country's frequent traveler program and the US extends GE to them) do not have Global Entry cards. YMMV slightly with some of the below.

Scenarios when a GE card is absolutely required:
  • When crossing into the US from a foreign country (Mexico/Canada) via land and you want to use the NEXUS/SENTRI/Ready Lane lanes to enter the US, or returning to the United States by sea (if the destination in the United States doesn't have GE kiosks, e.g. some commercial cruise terminals).
  • You must show your GE or NEXUS cards to gain access to CATSA Trusted Traveler screening line at Canadian airports. (There are very limited reports of individuals using the now defunct CBP sticker on the inside of the back cover of their passport or logging into GOES on their smartphone to gain access to the line). Even if you clear using a non-TT line (premier or regular security line) you can walk over to the GE kiosks after clearing security (at YUL and YVR. May not be possible at at YYZ). GE kiosks at Canadian pre-clearance airports accept both passports and NEXUS cards.
  • There are reports of YYZ US CBP personnel expecting a GE card from those not eligible to them, but being satisfied by the user giving their Trusted Traveler Number (a.k.a. PASSID from GOES) in lieu of the card.
  • At cruise port where it does not have kiosks like Terminal 25 of Port Everglades, Florida, GE card is required to gain access to the GE lane.

Scenarios under which a GE/NEXUS card can be useful, but is not necessarily required:
  • When approaching GE lanes at certain airports, sometimes CBP or airport staff will ask to see the card to allow access to the GE kiosk area. If you don't have a card or don't have the card on you, you may want to try stating that you are enrolled in GE; if you have the defunct sticker in your passport, you can show that.
  • The GE card is useful at TSA Checkpoints domestically as an ID to match against the boarding pass. GE card is REAL ID compliant.
  • The GE card may be acceptable by CBSA for entry into Canada provided member is US citizen.
  • Use as a primary ID when you don't want your driver's license barcode/magswipe scanned and stored in a database (at a gated community, many retail stores, etc.) - although acceptance can vary because it is not the most commonly used ID.
  • Secondary proof of age/identification when the validity of a driver's license is in doubt

The GE card is normally not required (with the previously mentioned caveats) when using GE kiosks at US airports, since the airport kiosk reads the passport and user's fingerprints and cannot read the GE card.

Print Wikipost

The Global Entry Card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
The Global Entry Card

I am an existing Global Entry member who just got approved for the Global Entry Card.

Do you actually need to go in to interview for this or is it just sent? The GOES system seems to want me to schedule an interview.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Originally Posted by troyb
I am an existing Global Entry member who just got approved for the Global Entry Card.

Do you actually need to go in to interview for this or is it just sent? The GOES system seems to want me to schedule an interview.
It is just sent few days after your online approval.

good luck

--J
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Cool - thanks. Not sure if I'll need the card (probably won't), but it should be fun to hassle some TSA into accepting it when I have some extra time going through security.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Do you actually need to go in to interview for this or is it just sent?
There is no interview for the Card, despite the fact that the conditional approval notification in your GOES account references one.
The GOES system seems to want me to schedule an interview.
Yes, ignore that. Just make sure that after you receive the card, that you go to the GOES home page and register/activate it.

Dave
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Just a point of information - the GE card just gets you into the US by land or sea without a passport, and allows you to use the Nexus or Sentri lane entering the US. You cannot use the GE card going into Canada or Mexico through the Nexus or Sentri lane - for those countries you need a Nexus or Sentri card, and if you are traveling by air you must have a passport (into the US or anywhere else). My recommendation is that for $50 you can get a Nexus card & GE instead of $100 for GE + another $15 for the GE card.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
What extra benefit is provided by having the CARD?
I am GE member but only got a sticker on my passport.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rubesl
My recommendation is that for $50 you can get a Nexus card & GE instead of $100 for GE + another $15 for the GE card.
NEW members to GE get both a sticker AND the card. It is only those members who enrolled prior to the rollout of the card who have to pay the $15.

Dave
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:19 pm

e-mail notifications?

if i remember correctly, when status was changing during GE processing i used to get e-mails to let me know that. Is this happening during card request processsing?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Gold MM
Originally Posted by miltime
if i remember correctly, when status was changing during GE processing i used to get e-mails to let me know that. Is this happening during card request processsing?
Yep, I applied on Monday and received an email yesterday telling me that there was a message on the GOES site.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 2:35 pm

thanks a lot, i also got an e-mail that status changed. After i logged in i had 2 notifications that it was apporoved. It took 2 days. Now i'm waiting for the card in the mail im guess.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 3:33 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by bseller
There is no interview for the Card, despite the fact that the conditional approval notification in your GOES account references one.

Yes, ignore that. Just make sure that after you receive the card, that you go to the GOES home page and register/activate it.

Dave
Thank you. I was having a hard time scheduling an appt although I am going through SFO, ORD, BOS, and LAX a bunch of times in Aug and Sep. I'll go cancel the appt. I did make.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Just got my card, about a week after originally applying. Now I understand why the TSA questions its authenticity - the thing looks fake. Black and white picture, flimsy, and text looks crooked.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP

Dave
I have been a GE member for over a year now and applied for a GE Card last week. The GOES system indicated that I needed to schedule an interview, so today I scheduled one. Should I simply cancel the interview and hope the card arrives in the mail?

I called the Dulles CBP GE office, but got a voicemail machine. I'm curious to know what you all think. Thanks!
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 14thStreet
I have been a GE member for over a year now and applied for a GE Card last week. The GOES system indicated that I needed to schedule an interview, so today I scheduled one. Should I simply cancel the interview and hope the card arrives in the mail?
If it was me, I would either cancel or simply not show up. There is no interview required and the GOES site is simply mucked up on this point. The card WILL arrive in the mail and then you will have to activate it on the GOES site.

Good luck! Dave
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
If it was me, I would either cancel or simply not show up. There is no interview required and the GOES site is simply mucked up on this point. The card WILL arrive in the mail and then you will have to activate it on the GOES site.

Good luck! Dave
Dave, thanks for your quick and helpful reply. I think I'll just let the mid-September appointment stay on the books and cancel it when the card comes in the mail. Or, I'll see if the appointment is automatically dropped from the system once they mail the card. What a screwy system!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.