Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Old Sep 1, 20, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly View Post
There is a (minor) argument for NOT having both expire at the same time. If one document expires because you forgot, or gets lost when you mail it in for renewal (the current state of the post office could continue or get worse, and other methods are not allowed), at least you have the other one and it won't expire for a while.
Actually, it sadly does not work that way. When you apply to renew EITHER passport document, you are required to send in BOTH types of documents in your possession to verify your citizenship and identity. You cannot hang onto the non-expiring one to use in the meantime. So, for example, if you have an expiring passport book and a valid passport card, you must send in BOTH when you apply for just the passport book renewal. In the past, DOS has recommended that you put a yellow sticky note on the non-expiring document that says "DO NOT CANCEL-Proof of Citizenship Only." There is a risk that the passport office might mistakenly cancel both documents you submit, when only one of them is actually expiring, and the other was just to prove your citizenship (and should be returned to you without being canceled). So, there is really no benefit, and some extra stress, in having the two document types expiring at different times. Just my two cents.
Old Sep 1, 20, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Platinum Pro; UA Gold MM; DL Gold; IHG Spire Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
We applied for my teenagers’ new passports on July 21, 2020 at the post office and they arrived in the mail today, September 1, 2020. Given the processing backlog earlier this year, I’m pretty pleased with the turnaround time, Now to find an international trip that doesn’t get wiped out by COVID restrictions or flight cancellations!
drewguy likes this.
Old Sep 2, 20, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
Actually, it sadly does not work that way. When you apply to renew EITHER passport document, you are required to send in BOTH types of documents in your possession to verify your citizenship and identity. You cannot hang onto the non-expiring one to use in the meantime. So, for example, if you have an expiring passport book and a valid passport card, you must send in BOTH when you apply for just the passport book renewal. In the past, DOS has recommended that you put a yellow sticky note on the non-expiring document that says "DO NOT CANCEL-Proof of Citizenship Only." There is a risk that the passport office might mistakenly cancel both documents you submit, when only one of them is actually expiring, and the other was just to prove your citizenship (and should be returned to you without being canceled). So, there is really no benefit, and some extra stress, in having the two document types expiring at different times. Just my two cents.
interesting info indeed. i'm learning a lot. i have no issue spending 30 for a new card at the same time as the book. the amortized 'wasted' cost of the 6 more years left on my old card is a hit i can take. 18 bucks got my pics taken for just 11 yesterday at a local photo shop so i'm ready to go.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 20, 9:19 pm

As of September, we have completed processing applications received in March and are 92 percent through the applications received in April, May, and June. Due to nationwide variations in staffing and the type of applications, some of our passport agencies and centers are already working on applications received in July and August. If you applied before April and have not received your passport yet, we may have sent you a letter requesting additional information to continue processing your application. Please respond to this letter.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Sep 4, 20, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
State Department says now is a good time to renew/apply:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ge%2Fstory-ans
Old Sep 4, 20, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I stated back in June, "TWA884 - The backlog is what currently, 3 months? Maybe will be 4? I guarantee that those who put their applications in over the last 3 months will see at least that backlog as well as those who put them in now and for the next month or two. However I also envision that those putting in applications in September/October are not going to see any significant backlog. So again if my passport were expiring in December of January or later. especially in the current situation I would just wait it out. OTOH, for the life of me I would never ever do an application through the mail at the best of times, if in the US, I would just go and get it done same day within14 days of a trip, or just do it from abroad where in my experience it has ALWAYS taken less than 2 weeks, often less than a week."
Old Sep 4, 20, 9:20 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Actually, that's not what is reported in The Washington Post article linked above:
A large backlog of passport applications that was waiting to be processed when the Bureau of Consular Affairs, which also handles visas, went into lockdown in mid-March has been tackled. Passport processors are now chipping away at applications that have arrived since then.

Now, after resuming operations on a limited basis in mid-June, officials say they have worked through the initial backlog and expect to return to normal processing times this fall. “We’ve gotten through essentially all of the backlog work, and now we’re getting back to a regular rhythm,” Ian Brownlee, the principal deputy in Consular Affairs, said this week in a video chat on the future of international travel hosted on the travel website The Points Guy. “If you’re thinking of traveling nine months out, why not apply now? The thing’s good for 10 years.”

Despite the optimistic outlook, there are still delays. The State Department says it currently takes about 10 weeks to process a passport, from application to delivery in the mail. That’s up from the six to eight weeks it typically took before the pandemic brought almost everything to a halt and the State Department stopped issuing expedited passports, which for an extra fee can get a passport in just two or three weeks.

...all passport processors have been declared “mission critical employees.” But the passport centers where they work are only opening gradually, after local health authorities say it is safe for workers to return.

ExpatExp likes this.
Old Sep 5, 20, 12:51 am

Aryani

hi Folks.. I applied for passport book and card for my baby girl on 18th July from USPS, Buffalo, NY and today received email that passport application is approved and shipped. Passport book and card will be delivered by 09/12. So it took me around 7 weeks for approval and 8 weeks in hand.
drewguy likes this.
Old Sep 10, 20, 2:11 pm

Short workweek...applications dropped, passports issued also dropped but exceeded applications received by 19,000. Yet passports awaiting issuance did not decrease, in fact increased by 25,000.

It's the Twilight Zone. We will never get our new passports.

Week (Thursday-Wednesday) Applications Received Passports Awaiting Issuance** Passports Issued*
This Week (Sep 4-Sep 10) 110,000 944,000 129,000
Last Week (Aug 27-Sep 3) 151,000 919,000 168,000
2 Weeks Ago (Aug 20-Aug 26) 165,000 938,000 156,000

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Sep 10, 20 at 2:16 pm
Old Sep 10, 20, 2:21 pm

Do you think you received yours faster because you went throughout the post office? I sent mine to the Passport Agency. Mine was processed July 21st and I still have not received it.
Old Sep 10, 20, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Lauren Barrios View Post
Do you think you received yours faster because you went throughout the post office? I sent mine to the Passport Agency. Mine was processed July 21st and I still have not received it.
With regard to the question, it depends on how it gets routed and the conditions applicable to that and the application itself; but even where it may turn out to be faster at times, it won’t be faster always. On average, the fastest times for an application sent in resulting in an issued standard passport being available to the applicant without an expedite fee is as follows: applications accepted at US embassies/consulates.
Old Sep 15, 20, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA captive, AA dabbler, HH, Carlson
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly View Post
Week (Thursday-Wednesday) Applications Received Passports Awaiting Issuance** Passports Issued*
This Week (Sep 4-Sep 10) 110,000 944,000 129,000
Last Week (Aug 27-Sep 3) 151,000 919,000 168,000
2 Weeks Ago (Aug 20-Aug 26) 165,000 938,000 156,000
Anyone notice that the algebra doesn't add up?

We should have:
Passport Awaiting Issuance =
Passport Awaiting Issuance from Prior Week + Applications Received During Week - Passports Issued During Week

But
944k > 919k + 110k - 129k (Off by 44k???)

The prior week is pretty close
919k 938k + 151K - 168k (off by 2k)
Old Sep 15, 20, 4:52 pm

I know this is highly anecdotal, but I have a friend living in Austin who applied three weeks ago for their passport renewal and received their new passport a week ago. They sent in their paperwork with a check for expedited service. Everything was processed within two weeks. They said the only delay was due to needing to show paperwork from a divorce.
Old Sep 15, 20, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by SF_trotter View Post
Anyone notice that the algebra doesn't add up?
Yes, it was noted in the post you quoted (but you deleted that part).
SF_trotter likes this.
Old Sep 16, 20, 9:54 pm

Applied for new passport on Wed in Houston texas at USPS
2 days later I received "Application Status: In Process" email
They said it'd be 2 weeks before i got that. going good so far i guess

Search this Thread
Search Engine: