Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Old Jul 31, 20, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by guflyer View Post
1. I am curious about why it is still less than the 274 000 passports that were issued two weeks ago. Was that just an amazing week? I am hopeful as it is a higher amount than last week, but am still curious about this.
I think Dave nailed it. Vacation season. Doesn't matter that they have been on enforced vacation for months. Hopefully the needle will be pushed further forward next week.

What is really messing with my head at the moment is that people have been applying in July and getting their passports in 8-10 days. The government line of 'first in first out' is a total sham. If some states are struggling with processing they should be shipped elsewhere and everything should be given priority according to application date. But then I'm biased because Dallas is STILL not in Phase 1 and we have been waiting close to 19 weeks now and feel like mushrooms.

Here's the lastest collated data for what it's worth:

Old Jul 31, 20, 2:58 am

If we look at the above figures in the last 5 weeks alone they have processed 1.1m passports (total of passports issued column). The number of passport applications in that same period is 655,000. That means there shouldn't be anything outstanding for March, April nor most of May as they only have around 400,000 outstanding from end of June and that figure is probably the grand total of applications for June itself if we conservatively say there were 100,000 applications per week over that period.
Old Jul 31, 20, 11:26 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
This post has been very helpful and I'll add my wife's timeline in hopes that it will help others also waiting.

April 20, 2020 - Documents received by the processing center in Irving, TX
April 22, 2020 - Check cashed
June 8, 2020 - Status updated to "In-Process"
July 30, 2020 - Status updated to "Approved"
July 31, 2020 - Status updated to "Shipped"

Pending delivery date is August 8, 2020.

So that was 101 days from when they received to approval.
Old Jul 31, 20, 1:27 pm

UPDATE
I applied by mail on 03/27/20 from San Francisco, check cleared on 03/30th. statut in process since 04/27, On July 27th received an e-mail "statut in process" ? on 28th 2nd other e-mail " shipped " 07/30th 3rd email" statut approved" so 4 months door to door.
Old Aug 1, 20, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Prince Keldar View Post
I think Dave nailed it. Vacation season. Doesn't matter that they have been on enforced vacation for months. Hopefully the needle will be pushed further forward next week.

What is really messing with my head at the moment is that people have been applying in July and getting their passports in 8-10 days. The government line of 'first in first out' is a total sham. If some states are struggling with processing they should be shipped elsewhere and everything should be given priority according to application date. But then I'm biased because Dallas is STILL not in Phase 1 and we have been waiting close to 19 weeks now and feel like mushrooms.

Here's the lastest collated data for what it's worth:

Where have you seen that people have been applying in July and receiving them within days?
Old Aug 1, 20, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Blaming State’s staff vacations for the recent weeks passport numbers misses the boat on this. There is a lot more to this situation than just staffing numbers at one location.

First in and first out for applications has never been perfect and still isn’t; and the cost to perfect things in this regard would probably be followed with hiked up user fees. And anyone following what is up with fees from DHS should be concerned about what may be done with State’s fees, unless you don’t really care about a 30-100% increase in fees from State too.

I have gotten no indication that the average July applicant for ordinary passports within the US has gotten their passport back in 8-10 days.
Old Aug 3, 20, 3:33 pm

A new wrinkle is the recent postal service delays.

My application took 9 days to get to Texas and finally arrived today. I had naively decided not to pay for 1-2 Day Express since we are not far away and normal delivery time is 2 days.

Just to state what everyone here presumably knows, the address is a PO Box, so there is no current alternative to USPS unless one chooses to lie about a life-or-death emergency. So for now, I strongly advise using Express, at least you'll get money back if it's delayed!

Question: when they send the applications out to various regional passport offices for processing, do they use US mail? I hope not!

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Aug 3, 20 at 3:50 pm
Old Aug 3, 20, 11:00 pm

Programs: MH, UA, Marriott & IHG Amb Plat 0MM, HH Diamond, WoH Explorist
July 17: Applied at Guam DMV
July 31: Old Passport Sent from Honolulu
July 31: New Passport Sent from Tucson
August 3: Old Passport Received
August 4: New Passport Received
Still waiting on Passport Card.

I was informed by Guam DMV that they were already back to standard processing times on the day I applied. Quite impressed given the current backlog.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Yesterday, 9:52 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by ALGU View Post
July 17: Applied at Guam DMV
July 31: Old Passport Sent from Honolulu
July 31: New Passport Sent from Tucson
August 3: Old Passport Received
August 4: New Passport Received
Still waiting on Passport Card.

I was informed by Guam DMV that they were already back to standard processing times on the day I applied. Quite impressed given the current backlog.
Hmm, I wonder if we could fly the boys to Guam and get their renewals done sooner than applying locally...?
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Yesterday, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Where have you seen that people have been applying in July and receiving them within days?
I found them in chat on a video post on the passport situation on YouTube. Plenty of people not getting them too. Now week 20 here.

Quote: I filed mine June 3rd, they received it June 7th, and I received my passport July 20th. So it took almost 7 weeks total for me!

Quote: My boyfriend & his mom sent their in beginning of June/end of May & they got theirs back two weeks ago. They are NOT doing first in first out

Quote: I applied for a new passport in Atlanta May 1st, and I received mine July 9th

Quote: I applied June 9th, and I just got mine in the mail today on July 30th. I live in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

Quote: I put in application on 7/11/20 and I just got my passport today (7/18/20) I don’t know why it was so fast!?!?

Last edited by Prince Keldar; Today at 7:45 am
Old Today, 4:46 pm

On the "Passport operations in response to COVID-19" page, where the table of stats is posted, there is a new footnote:

*In prior years, the average number of passport applications in process during our busy season has routinely exceeded 1 million.
Well, OK, so what? What it does not say is how many passports were processed each summer week in past years. Same backlog but slower processing means longer wait.

Currently they are processing about 200,000 per week. How can one look up how many were processed per week in Aug 2019?

(I did look at the annual stats, and for fiscal 2019 divided by 52 weeks it comes out to about 350,000 per week, i.e. almost twice the speed as this year. So passport issuance should take approximately twice as long this year as last year.)

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Today at 5:14 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: