Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2022, 3:58 pm

Programs: NEXUS
Originally Posted by Section 107
I have obtained regular 28-page, 10-year duration passbooks for myself and 5-year passbooks for my children in one day in countries other than the US. YMMV.
When?
Old May 12, 2022, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Wise Chaldean
Adult renewal, routine processing, no speedy delivery, standard-size passport book
Mailed: 3/26/22 to Philadelphia from NJ (regular USPS first class mail, so no tracking)
Received: Probably 3/28
In process and check deposited: 4/6; Locator: 69 (Philadelphia)
Will keep you posted as the plot unfolds.

To fill out the DS-82 renewal application form, I used the form filler on the State Dept. website, which put a nifty 2D barcode in the upper left corner of my application when I printed it. I assume that 2D barcodes are magic, and wonder if the reception-to-processing timeframe is longer if you submit a handwritten form. If you have data, please share.
Update: Application status changed to Approved on 5/8. Received new (Old Gen) passport 5/12 in a priority mail envelope with a Portsmouth NH return address, but that according to the tracking history was actually sent from Hot Springs, Arkansas. Ergo, I plan to name the new passport Southern Comfort rather than Yankee Doodle. And I think locator 69 is Portsmouth, not Philadelphia. Will update again when I receive my old passport back.
Old May 13, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
When?
Kids passports multiple times from Embassy in Mexico City, most recently 2014. They have also received their fully valid passports from Mexico from the consulate in DC. My 10-year fully valid passport was received 2004 in ATH (which was a little weird because I expected it to be a 52 page book but it was the small one).
Old May 13, 2022, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I can't believe it's taking a month for expedited service for some people. I was going to use my Rush my passport, which is charging $800 for expedited service, but I would be furious if it took a month when they say it would take 1-2 weeks. Will a service like that be faster than just doing expedited directly via mail?
I might use CIBT instead because they offer a two business day service for $599. Id be surprised if they can pull it off in two business days, but at least that gives some buffer room.

Last edited by SkyTeam777; May 13, 2022 at 3:41 pm
Old May 14, 2022, 1:02 pm

Update: Application status changed to Approved on 5/8. Received new (Old Gen) passport 5/12 in a priority mail envelope with a Portsmouth NH return address, but that according to the tracking history was actually sent from Hot Springs, Arkansas. Ergo, I plan to name the new passport Southern Comfort rather than Yankee Doodle. And I think locator 69 is Portsmouth, not Philadelphia. Will update again when I receive my old passport back.
Update: Received old passport back (canceled) on 5/14. Return address was Sterling VA, but postmark was Portsmouth NH. I think the jury's in: Locator #69 is Portsmouth, not Philadelphia, and little credence need be given to return addresses.

Last edited by Wise Chaldean; May 16, 2022 at 7:19 am
Old May 14, 2022, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Section 107
Kids passports multiple times from Embassy in Mexico City, most recently 2014. They have also received their fully valid passports from Mexico from the consulate in DC. My 10-year fully valid passport was received 2004 in ATH (which was a little weird because I expected it to be a 52 page book but it was the small one).
2014 I believe. If anyone knows of a 5 or 10-year regular (tourist) passport being issued same-day by a US consulate or embassy since 2019, please share.
Old May 14, 2022, 4:18 pm

My husband has applied for an expedited passport. Next Tuesday, he will be within two weeks of an international flight and can request an in-person appointment. He called the U.S. Passport Office yesterday with some questions:

1. What documentation does he need to bring? He no longer has his current passport because he had mailed it in. The agent said she will tell him on Tuesday when he schedules his appointment.

2. Does an in-person appointment guarantee that he will receive a new passport. Answer: NO.

3. Here is the worst part. The agent said there are 26 passport offices. Depending on availability, he can be assigned to any one of the 26 offices – i.e. he can be told to fly to Atlanta, Houston, New York, Los Angeles, etc., even though the closest office is Chicago. All this and it is still not guaranteed that he will receive a new passport!

Did he get a bad agent or is it that he called on Friday, the 13th?
Old May 18, 2022, 3:45 pm

Processing Date 5/14 - Travel Date 7/7 Will I be able to travel?

Hi all,
I am trying to get some guidance and answers from this forum.

This is my first time ever sending my passport in this way. Last time, I had to go to a passport agency where they expedited a renewal in TWO days.
I sent my passport for renewal from Baltimore to Philadelphia Passport Agency and it was received at the agency on 5/2. They did not put it as processing until 5/14.
I am meant to travel to Germany and the UK on July 7th. I’m getting very nervous that it may not get to me in time.
I called today 5/18 to have it expedited and the delivery expedited, as well. Does anyone have any advice or guidance on this??? I’m so nervous that I won’t get my passport back in time! I am wondering if I’ll have ti apply for a new one in person closer to the trip and pay $500 for an expedited two day passport.
I appreciate any and all help!
Old May 18, 2022, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Int travel upcoming

I recently got naturalised and submitted my application for a new US passport using expedited service at USPS on 5/2.

Online update shows as processing on 5/9 at (69) Philly center.

when submitting my application I advised I had travel on 5/24 (not sure if this matters)

I have an international flight on Tuesday 5/24, I called the appointment line no appointments in SF , how can I get an appt? getting desperate now!

Also is there anyway to follow up or expedite my application further?
Old May 18, 2022, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by navatwal
I recently got naturalised and submitted my application for a new US passport using expedited service at USPS on 5/2.

Online update shows as processing on 5/9 at (69) Philly center.

when submitting my application I advised I had travel on 5/24 (not sure if this matters)

I have an international flight on Tuesday 5/24, I called the appointment line no appointments in SF , how can I get an appt? getting desperate now!

Also is there anyway to follow up or expedite my application further?
HEY- yes you need to call the national passport processing center: 877-487-2778
they can expedite the process and send the passport back in 1-2 days for $78.
They wont be much help with the status of the passport because I have tried to ask and I called three times today. You can at least apply to expedite
Old May 18, 2022, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Originally Posted by Shiv1066
HEY- yes you need to call the national passport processing center: 877-487-2778
they can expedite the process and send the passport back in 1-2 days for $78.
They wont be much help with the status of the passport because I have tried to ask and I called three times today. You can at least apply to expedite
Thank you for this info, I will call them, what is this additional level of expedite called?
Old May 18, 2022, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by navatwal
Thank you for this info, I will call them, what is this additional level of expedite called?
it is just called expedited service
Old May 18, 2022, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Shiv1066
it is just called expedited service
i just called them, they quoted me $60 for expedite and $18 for express shipping , how is that different from the expedite service that I chose from the USPS passport acceptance facility?
Old May 18, 2022, 10:32 pm

How can I get an appointment quickly at SF facility?

As of now all appointments are taken
Old May 19, 2022, 4:07 pm

Programs: *G on UA, LuV
old passport not yet returned 5/19

Has an important visa in the old passport. I cannot figure out a way to call someone. I believe it comes by USPS first class without any tracking. Uggh.

Originally Posted by LAHIKER
Routine service, Adult renewal:
Sent Priority Mail sent to Irving, Tx with money order (thought it would be faster). Put full name & Date of Birth on the front of Money Order. Pay to US Dept of State.
3/17 - mailed via priority mail, got acceptance receipt, no further tracking from USPS
3/20 Sunday evening - delivered Irving TX-received tracking confirmation
3/30 (evening) - Your passport application in process

3/31 - Money order cashed. Application locator number is 34

Applied for e-mail notifications. None received.

4/20 - (evening) Approved expect it on 4/26
'4/25 - Received NexGen Passport in mailbox, from AZ.

Interesting tidbit. I tried to verify status on my Chrome browser on my phone and computer. No status found. Firefox seems to work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.